Author Topic: Fall maintenance  (Read 3171 times)

Volvo farmer

Fall maintenance
« on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
I lowered the ten footer today for annual (well 14 month?) maintenance.  It hasn't had a hiccup since I got it up in the early summer 2010, despite being allowed to run unloaded a couple times for a few hours.

Anyway.. the blades were in bad need of a new coat of oil. That's the first thing I did.. Then I realized I was going to have to take the turbine off the tower to grease it, so I got linseed oil all over my shirt.  ;D

I was surprised to see the amount of damage to the leading edges. This is less than 2 years in the air. I'm using a Classic charge controller, but I don't think I have it dialed in to run all that much faster than it did when it was voltage-clamped. Anyway,  a little of that leading edge tape that some folks are using wouldn't hurt me at all here. I just oiled it and ignored it though.

Being too lazy to remove the blades from the turbine, I just jerked it off the stub and layed it on the back of my truck. Good thing too. The Kellum grip had slipped out of the cable clamp and there was a little crack in the stator from where the wires had been pulling on it.

I re-clamped the Kellum grip. I think the cable twisted enough to rip it out of the clamp. Time will see if it holds up or not. I got a little more aggressive with the cable clamp screws than I did last year.

My nylon washer is about half as thick as it was 2 years ago.  I fabricated this out of a white cutting board, since I didn't happen to have any bronze laying around. There were plenty of white dust shavings in there. I just greased it up good and reinstalled it. Might have to fabricate up another one before next fall. I put plenty-o-grease in there to try and extend it's life.

I also adjusted a couple of my guy wires because they were out of turnbuckle adjustment. Raised the whole thing back up and am back in business. Whole deal only took about 3 hours and I did a little guy wire tweaking to improve tension and plumb.  These are good turbines, very trouble free for over a year, and hopefully into next year.  Cheers!
Less bark, more wag.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Fall maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
I have seen much the same.  Twisted wires and eroded leading edges.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/
"3M POLYURETHANE PROTECTIVE TAPE 8674"
I looked it up a couple of weeks ago so it was fresh in my mind where to get it.

Hmmm...  mine's a little overdue for it's annual checkup too...   :-[
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »
Wow!  Those tips look abused!
JB Weld for a filler?

"My nylon washer is about half as thick as it was 2 years ago.  I fabricated this out of a white cutting board, since I didn't happen to have any bronze laying around. There were plenty of white dust shavings in there".

I often wondered if 2 (or 3) layers would be far better than 1.

With 1, the top is getting ground away, as is the bottom.
The resulting roughnes would create resistance to yaw.

With 2 or 3 layers, when the top and bottom surfaces were rough, the inner contact surfaces would have less resistance.  The rotation would be nylon on nylon, with grease.
Greased nylon on nylon should last a lot longer than nylon on steel, right?

Maybe a couple layers of PET plastic (pronounced "2 liter soda bottle"?) between the top and bottom nylon pieces?  Sort of like a bushing for the bushings?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
...Maybe a couple layers of PET plastic...

PTFE, man.  It's a perfect job for Teflon.

Actually, I'm surprised to see a nylon disk has lasted so long.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Tritium

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Actually Delrin might be better than PTFE.

Thurmond

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
personally I prefer two so they each grip the metal surfaces and slip on each other, that's the theory anyway.

allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

jlt

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »

I have had about the same problems with mine. Its not turning into the wind until wind gets pretty strong.My blades still look fairly good.
     I used some aluminum tape i got from home depot on the leading edge.and aluminum enamel from home depot to paint them. It seems to hold up better than linseed oil and dries much faster to.