Author Topic: DIY AVR/Inverter for a 2600W KIPOR Generator  (Read 18467 times)

aususer

DIY AVR/Inverter for a 2600W KIPOR Generator
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Hope you can help me,
I bought an IG-2600 Kipor "puresine" petrol generator from fleabay for $AU100 with a blown AC (240VAC50Hz) puresine inverter.
I intended it as fallback if solar fails whilst camping on extended trips.. (knew thw AC didn't work - just thought of using the 12V on a rare occ.)

Unfortunaly the "opposition leader" saw a Mains socket and got excited... putting the words "hairdrier" and "can I...." in a sentence  :-\

The "Invertor module" is cactus (guessing blown 'fets) - and whilst I look for a replacement, thought I'd investigate any DIY solutions.

The Stator windings are all good - and engine is excellent. I'm geting 12VDC8A rectified out of the (seperate) "charging" winding so not a total loss.
I contacted the local suppliers if they have a second-hand/wreck "invertor module" (I couldn't get her to pony up the $AU700 for a new one  :o),
but they are not sounding too confident.

I started to think - essentially its a Y/Star wired stator - pushing out 575Vac in 3 phases.. not all that different to a wind-generator (OK maybe not the voltages)!!
Wondering if one could DIY a "inverter module"?!?!

Before I told her "No way"... I thought I'd post and see if anyone else has crossed this bridge?

My understanding's a "pure sinewave" generator is essentally an 3PhaseAC to DC to singlephaseAC convertor..
and looking at the size of the inductors potted in the module, I'd say this is a close bet.
I'm guessing - based on the size of teh module - the Y/Star is rectified with open gate SCR's in a recified bridge into DC - the DC is then smoothed (ie. the inductors).
The DC is then modulated with a "good" oscollator and PWM'd some mosfets etal. into a 240VAC@50Hz. (hope my limited knowledge is not a hinderance here - sorry)

Seperatly, The second (white) winding is likely used for "smartthrottle" control (to maintain the throttle stepper motor to keep the motor spinning at constant RPM regardless of statorload)

Thus endith my long-ago-aging-basic-electronics knowledge. I have some of the theory.. but the practicals are leaving me behind - and I don't yet have a cro to check it out.
The Module (as you will see in the attached exmple) is potted in an aluminim heatsink (ruling out paying the local vet for some "xray time" ;)) to attempt reverse engineer it.

Does anyone have a circuit/schematic that might help me keep the opposition leader happy?
I've considered recifying the 575VAC into 12V to gain access to these windings for higher amps...
I'm guessing the commercial module must be doing it all at a higher volatge - there is no transformer in it.

FWIW: This generator seems to be a VERY CLOSE in design to the Honda EU2000 (I believe Kipor in UK had been removed from market for this reason.. the wiring diagrams look pretty similar!).
Has anyone been down this path or have any suggestions where I might be able to start? Schematics etc..

I've looked at the published works of Dolce etal. http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-042507-092653/unrestricted/MQP_D_1_2.pdf which make me keen that I'm on the right track... but now out of my depth.
Hopefully the suppliers will find something 2ndhand stock - but if not - is there any magic to be had at Fieldlines?

1827-0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:14:25 AM by DanG »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: DIY AVR/Inverter for a 2600W KIPOR Generator
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
I have that same model - IIRC 90%-plus of Kipor's parts are directly swappable with Honda units, supposedly they licensed their designs from Honda for sales outside of Hondas markets, ie: 3rd World markets. Cruder castings, fewer piston rings, lower complexity etc.

When I bought mine I could have two delivered for what one lesser Eu2000 cost. My unit hates cheap AC motors, on eco-throttle it starts a larger electric chainsaw two out of three times but the start current must be huge on such a cheap motor, otherwise its done everything I've ever asked from it - remote construction, small A/C, etc.

I see replacement 120V 60H inverter modules available here for $400USD - you might write Kipor direct in China on some invented engine repair shop letter-head and ask for a replacement shipped direct, or find a China exporter willing to toss you one for much less.

Check the Honda schematic to see if it is wire-for-wire identical, there may be a scrapped Eu 2000 or 3000 available much easier.

Long ago I wanted to see if I could boost RE DC and input the 440+ volts to the inverter section (switching out everything else) to take advantage of the Honda bullet-proof design but no one volunteered their units for surgery... :)

OperaHouse

Re: DIY AVR/Inverter for a 2600W KIPOR Generator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »
I've been looking for a cheap broken inverter generator to pair with a 12V 2000/4000W inverter so I can run a washing machine mostly on solar with the gas taking care of peaks.  That potted module means there will soon be a lot of these heading to a dumpster.  I just saw one of these modules the other day on ebay.