Author Topic: Regulator design help.  (Read 1616 times)

redtick

Regulator design help.
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »
I found this design for a pot controlled alternator regulator on the web, I've built a breadboard to test but not having the results I need.

First, LM348 were sent in place of my order for LM741 so I found the datasheets for the pin-outs and made the changes in the circuit. My understanding is they function the same just a 4 on 1 chip.

The tests show that the pot will vary the voltage to pin 2 (max of 6.2 volts) but the output at pin 1 stays steady at battery voltage.  

Are there any obvious mistakes in the design?? I'm a monkey playing with fireworks doing this type of work. ;)

" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Opera House

Re: Regulator design help.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
"The tests show that the pot will vary the voltage to pin 2 (max of 6.2 volts) but the output at pin 1 stays steady at battery voltage. "

If the voltage does not go well beyond 6.2V, that may be your problem.  Make the sense resistor to + slightly smaller.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:58 PM »
It would be a lot easier to follow if you kept ground at the bottom and +ve at the top, like boring convention!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

commanda

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:38 AM »
The tests show that the pot will vary the voltage to pin 2 (max of 6.2 volts) but the output at pin 1 stays steady at battery voltage. 

The pot needs to take pin 2 above & below pin 3 to make the output change states.
Check that pin 3 coming from the zener is 6.2 volts.
Then adjust the resistors either end of the pot so the pot adjustment range takes pin 2 above & below pin 3.

This is with the battery at its fully charged voltage, possibly 14.2 volts.