Author Topic: Gotwind Bens Pie Dish Alternator  (Read 3992 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Gotwind Bens Pie Dish Alternator
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
A work in progress,
For some time now a simple DIY single rotor axial flux alternator that is achievable without the use of a lathe has always been my goal. A tough challenge.

Utilising a low cost £5 ($8) steel Pie/cake dish, a circular hand sawn disc of MDF (fibre board), copper wire and a bicycle wheel hub, it is becoming a reality  :D

There are a few things that need addressing, but it should couple well with PVC blades of 1 meter (3' 3") in diameter, I am predicting around 60 watts or so at 20 m.p.h.
Alternator cost - £30 approx ($40)

The dish shape encapsulates the stator nicely to protect from weather somewhat.

Pretty standard 6 coil, 8 magnet setup, I may change this to triangular shaped coils and rectangular mags resined in.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Re: Gotwind Bens Pie Dish Alternator
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:16:43 PM »
I've been looking through your entries on here man, pretty interesting low cost ideas.

Wondering, what would it take to con you out of one of those orange generators you used to power that radio?

I'm only exploring wind at all because it blows much more often here than it did when I lived a little further south, but even though I am not (yet) convinced it is worth building a full scale turbine, I want to see what's out there in various locations on my property.

I would return the favor by posting reviews of the turbine, and maybe providing a little insight to what works better than others. I'm extremely inquisitive, but have few resources available.

Do you do paypal?

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Re: Gotwind Bens Pie Dish Alternator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
Steve.
Thanks for the reply.
I would never charge anything for my input here, people here give far more generously than me, in terms of info, technical knowledge which is amazing.
All that Orange stuff I do is tied up (owned) by them unfortunately.

I simply like to make DIY turbines/alternators for the least cost, from readily available components - It's an ongoing challenge.

Wouldn't it be great, rather than scrapping for example, a washing machine it could be smartly converted into a 1 KW wind turbine  :)

'White goods' converted into 'Green goodies'