Author Topic: Biodiesel Pump  (Read 4564 times)

Yianie123.

Biodiesel Pump
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »
Hello, I am doing a lot of reading on making biodiesel.  One of the sites that has capture my interests is from Graham whttp://www.graham-laming.com/bd/main.htmww.  He used very hot oil, 190F and then starts a pump to mix catalyst for his reaction.  Well, I am trying to find a pump that will work at that temperature.  I am considering a Grunfos pumps that can handles fluids over 200'F, but I do not know if it can handle the chemicals.  Does anyone know of a pump that can handle hot chemicals that is reasonably priced?

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
Re: Biodiesel Pump
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »
Not sure where you are located at but I googled for biodiesel chemical pumps and found this site.  They seem to have a few to choose from.

http://www.biofuelsystems.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_45

Jim

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
do not use anything with Aluminum in it
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

Yianie123.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
Thank you both for responding.  I am near Chicago, IL.  I would rather purchase a pump a little closer to home.  I am considering pumping air into the transfer pipe, similar to a fish tank concept, the air pushes the fluid up and over  the top.  My issue with this is that it may cool the fluid more than I wanted.  Other ideas are welcomed.

harley1782000

• I thought so too.....
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
Pushing air threw it I would say it would cool it off.  I wonder if a circulating pump off of a hot water baseboard furnace would work.  That deals with very hot water.  I know sometimes you can pick them up pretty cheap sometimes.

Jim

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:32 PM »
You could put a heating element in or on the air tubing. This would help heat the solution. perhaps a piece of pyrex glass tubing with a heating element scrounged from a space heater inside it.
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

troy

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
Graham is a brilliant guy, and a real innovator, so don't misunderstand what I am about to say.

His methods are fairly complex, and if you work with oil that hot, keep in mind that is well over the boiling point of methanol.

He uses those extra complications and the associated risk, to reduce the use of methanol and to reduce the release of methanol to the atmosphere. 

These are worthy goals.  However...

If you want to be a researcher and push the envelope, keep going, he's onto something.

If you want to make biodiesel to run your car or heat your house, there are easier ways.

If you want a little bigger viewpoint, this is the best discussion group on the planet for home brew biodiesel:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

Most of Graham's work has been posted and discussed there.  So have a lot of other methods.

For a counter example, I have been making biodiesel since 2003 (I think...) and I process oil at 135F-140F, then recover my excess methanol from the byproduct in a separate step using a simple still, outside.  I also wash/purify my biodiesel with water, which he is not a fan of.  But it's very effective, and very easy, and very cheap.  I don't think I am wasting or losing a lot of methanol.

My processor is a 55 gal drum and a $40 "water" pump from harbor freight.  Still using the same pump after six years.  I make 30-40 gallons every 2-3 weeks.  Car has 120,000 miles, and 90+% of that on 100% biodiesel.  And I heat my house with it, and my shop, and my truck, tractor, built a co-generator Lister, etc.

HTH,

troy

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »
Troy;
 I would agree, his methods are very interesting to read and maybe try. BUT pumping hot oil is not my idea of a fun weekend  ;) he does do a good job of saying to be careful.
The possibility of having the heater vaporize my home isn't appealing to me  :P either.

AND as you say there are other methods of distilling out the Methanol. With the cold here now reaching into single digit numbers  :( I'm down to using 20% Bio-D.
I certainly do not make as much as you , but yeah those HF pumps are very usable just for this stuff, I'm using the hand pump to offload my carboys into the cold upflow 15gal plastic tanks. Made the final filtering before conversion much much easier.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard