Author Topic: Blade design thread- The payoff & thanks!  (Read 3060 times)

madlabs

Blade design thread- The payoff & thanks!
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi All,

As some may recall, a couple weeks back I had a couple of threads on blade design going. I wanted to show you all the results of your efforts to help me, so I have posted the pics up:
http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/madlabs12/

I wanted to thank everyone for their help. Your time was not only appreciated but your advice was put to use. I am very happy with how they turned out. My buddy who is making my aluminum hub is slacking, so I haven't gotten to fly them yet. I'll let you know how they work out.

You can also see some pics of the tower I made. It is currently 20' tall, but it will be going to 40', once I have a mill I like. For now it is easier to raise and lower and as I will be doing a ton of experiments I wanted to keep that process easy. It is made from 1.5" pipe, as is the hinge. The pad is 14" deep and uses 5/8" by 12" J bolts to secure the base. The anchors are 3' deep. All concrete is well reinforced with rebar etc. All rigging is 1/8". I'll be going to a heavier wire for the next 20'. Raising it is a breeze for 1 guy. We did have one scary moment when rasing for the first time, the crappy come along slipped the cable and it dropped about 6" and put a slight bend in the pipe. Worked out a new come along and a double safety system after that!

The mill on the tower was made by a new freind of mine, Bill. He has been making these since the 70's. It's an old school auto alternator rig. Very simple, can't wait for some wind to see how it works!

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Fused

Re: Blade design thread- The payoff & thanks!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:15 PM »
Blades look nice.
Theres a feeling of satisfaction after you build your own.
Look forward to seeing them in the air.

Fused

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!

So I'm not getting something:  if the hub isn't ready for those blades, what turbine are you raising there?  It looks like a Dans' 10'.  It sounds like you're planning a wind farm to me!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
Spar,

The mill being raised is a 9". I recenly met a guy named Bill who lives just down the road from me. He had been making these since the 70's, but he hasn't been doing much with them lately as he now lives buried in the redwoods. It uses a belt and an auto alternator. So far it seems like it is a little hard to start, we have had some breezes but noe movement yet.

Wind farm? Maybe. I might get two flying one day. It all depends on how much wind I really have here.

Jonathan

opo

• homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »

Blades look great. What were the final parameters? Pitch? Intended tsr? Etc.

Congratulations
http://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=opo Check my apps aFoil and aFoilSim on android market.

madlabs

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »
Each blade is 60cm for a diameter of 1.2M. The pitch is 4 degrees at the tip, steeper towards the root. TSR is a little under 5, I was shooting for 5 but an error whoopsie made it a little less.

My buddy says he will have the hub done Tuesday, so with any luck I'll get to test 'em Wednesday.

Jonathan

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
Thats a really nice base you have there , plus I love the shipping container, I could grow some really nice "herbs" in in one of those :)

madlabs

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »
GSW,

Thanks, the base is one of my first welding projects.

I live in Mendocino county and I believe that my container is probably one of about three in this county that isn't being used for "herbs". :)

Jonathan

gsw999

• kernelpower Ltd
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
Glad some are being put to good use, the base looks professional so you should be proud :)