Author Topic: Recipes and Food  (Read 1744 times)

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Recipes and Food
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
My mouth is watering...
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:44:29 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:19 PM »
Here is some grilled Swordfish that I like to do from time to time

11901-0

This ain't my first time at the rodeo!

We did pretty good with our ad revenue today. Its for paying our hosting cost.

Juan44

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
Here is some grilled Swordfish that I like to do from time to time

(Attachment Link)

This ain't my first time at the rodeo!

We did pretty good with our ad revenue today. Its for paying our hosting cost.
God this looks perfect!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »
I was hungry for a slab of ribs last weekend but wanted a different sauce(I normally eat ribs dry but occasionally go for the caramelized sugar BBQ sauce flavor). I went back to a recipe I used to use back in the 80's. The original came form a restaurant called The Kaiserhoff in New Ulm, MN. They use it on their boiled then grilled ribs but it works well on the smoker also. This is a very different sauce and many might say eww to it, try it! Only way you will know if you like it! If I use a brand name it is because that flavor profile is needed!

1 cup Heinz ketchup
1 cup Miracle Whip
Frank's Hot Sauce to taste, I used about 1/4 cup or so

Mix the above and you have the Kaiserhoff sauce... bit bland to my taste so...

I added my go to rib rub Smokin' Guns Mild(don't let the name fool you, it has heat) to the above tasting as I went to not add to much salt. Turned out very very tasty! I have also used garlic salt, other rubs etc in the past.

Do not let the uncooked flavor of this sauce turn you off, it totally changes in flavor when cooked! I actually cook a bit in the microwave for extra dipping sauce, when coked it turns form pink to a rich copper color.

Good on all forms of pork(chops on the grill this is really good, get a lot more caramelization!) and very very good on chicken. It has a sweet tart/spicy flavor that goes well with them. Not good on beef... but I hate sweet on beef, most commercial beef rubs I hate because they are loaded with sugar so I make my own!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
test

12335-0

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2019, 03:43:46 PM »
Not as tasty as your last dish, JW.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2019, 12:45:38 AM »
I'm thinking a little salt and red pepper flakes would hep just a bit :)
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2019, 01:50:36 AM »
Electrons combined with flavour - and all I can think of is this:

www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2020, 05:25:51 PM »
Well its Friday

Doing Stir-fry Beef Chicken and Broccoli tonight

12720-0

Will post when done 

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2020, 08:46:46 PM »
Heres how it turned out :)

12721-0

STIR-FRY!!!!!

12722-1

Final touch

12723-2

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2020, 01:55:29 AM »
Delicious.
The other day we were looking around for a steak marinade - then just made one with dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce!
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
Try Zesty Italian salad dressing works really well. I use a London broil put it in a tupperware pour in the salad dressing then poke it with a fork. flip it over same thing. I then throw it in the fridge for 24 hours. I prefer to cook it with charcoal, burning hot. You then just have to flip it continually so it doesn't get burnt.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
I make this for a steak topping, morel mushrooms are best but white button work.

Sliced garlic
Sliced mushrooms(cleaned first)
Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce

Heat the butter until it stops foaming, drop in the garlic slices and stir around until they just brown and get crunchy, do not burn this! If you do start over! Removed browned garlic and save for later.

Add mushrooms and stir over low heat until they caramelize. This takes time, plan on 30 minutes minimum.

When the mushrooms are done add the garlic back, a splash of the Worcestershire sauce, reduce it until syrupy.

Off the heat add more butter and stir it in t make a thickened mushroom sauce, pour over a steak, a burger... this pairs really well with beef.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
Why did I click on this thread just before supper?
Now I'm craving steak w/ mushroom sauce, when a lamb ragout is about to be put on the table. 
Also delicious, but you've got me craving the wrong thing!!
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
I miss being ale to have grilled mushrooms :'(

Portabellas   minced garlics painted on gill side slathered with melted butter on a charcoal grill YUM!! used to eat it like a steak!

Damn New Orleans!!!

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2020, 10:23:34 PM »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
Ok the pic I wanted to post. This is artificial crabmeat with mozzarella and cheddar sautéed in mushrooms in the oven at 375f for 40 min

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
OMG if there's a dish with both crab and cheese in it, I'd better not tell my wife about it - or we'll be eating that every day forever!
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
We went with the transnational steaks and veggies.
Plus a small set of our pepper harvest :)
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
Aha found it...

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2023, 05:27:00 AM »
Aha found it again :)

Was worried I lost the Thai Chicken Sticks recipe, wanting to cook that. :)

brandnewb

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2024, 10:45:18 AM »
Wow!! I am so glad I found this thread.

It gives us an opportunity to share something else other than what we have been doing so far.

Now my question to you is. How is your resilience to the Scoville scale? Mine is pretty low these days as my back starts acting up when I eat too hot.

And NOW!!! Finally I get to ask to the speakers of English.

Can one please teach me if there is a vocabulary, and if so what is, distinction between food that has a lot of spices (or also herbs) added (but it not hotttt to the tongue) and food that might be bland but is on the Scoville scale level up.

In my native langue it is easy to make that separation of what it is one tries to describe.

{1}As with my current vocabulary of the English language I only know the word "spicy" in relation to the context I have given here. But most spices do NOT give a hot/painful sensation to the tongue[1]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 10:56:35 AM by brandnewb »

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2024, 11:10:16 AM »
Wow!! I am so glad I found this thread.

It gives us an opportunity to share something else other than what we have been doing so far.

Now my question to you is. How is your resilience to the Scoville scale? Mine is pretty low these days as my back starts acting up when I eat too hot.

And NOW!!! Finally I get to ask to the speakers of English.

Can one please teach me if there is a vocabulary, and if so what is, distinction between food that has a lot of spices (or also herbs) added (but it not hotttt to the tongue) and food that might be bland but is on the Scoville scale level up.

In my native langue it is easy to make that separation of what it is one tries to describe.

{1}As with my current vocabulary of the English language I only know the word "spicy" in relation to the context I have given here. But most spices do NOT give a hot/painful sensation to the tongue[1]

Spicy = heat
well spiced = well seasoned...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2024, 09:40:40 PM »
I'm no dictionary, so you'll have to look these up yourself:
spicy
savoury
unami
...are all different things.

For those interested in how spices work, there some that are soluble in water and those that are soluble in oil.  The mix of spices in a certain culture's dishes has a lot to do with whether they prefer to cook with water, oil, or both.  For example, the "mediterranean diet" involves a lot of olive oil, not a lot of boiled or steamed foods.  That's typical in my home diet.  The opposite is true in China, it seems, because when I was there the only deep-fried thing I could find was deep-fried tofu, and the oil was definitely spiced and I could've died from the spices.  Good and painful all at the same time, you know?  But everything else on that trip was much less spicy.  Cuisine varies a lot across China.
www.sparweb.ca

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2024, 02:06:36 PM »
Lets see were this go's you should have to be logged in to see this post.

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,144905.0.html

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2024, 02:16:54 PM »
Ya this should be in logged in diary's, so that its not visible on the front page unless you are logged in.. I noticed diary's you must be logged in to see that board, that's not right. I will fix this later.

This page one of this topic, you guys probably wont find it unless I post a link

https://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,144905.0.html

brandnewb

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2024, 05:35:28 PM »
I found a new trusty mate to just ask questions and get instant answers. how ever wrong they might be;

I will tell you one thing. I am learning to distrust AI answers less and less.

User
lets talk food and spices ok?
ChatGPT

Absolutely, let's dive into the delicious world of food and spices! Is there a specific cuisine, dish, or spice you're interested in? Or perhaps you'd like to know about the use of spices in various dishes or how to pair them with different ingredients?
User
no, I want to ask the following;

Can you please teach me if there is a vocabulary, and if so what is, distinction between food that has a lot of spices (or also herbs) added but is not hot to the tongue and food that might be bland but is on the Scoville scale level up.
ChatGPT

Certainly! The distinction you're asking about involves the concepts of "spiciness" or "heat" in food, which often get conflated but actually refer to different culinary sensations and ingredients.
Spices and Herbs: Flavorful but Not Necessarily Hot

Spices and Herbs: These are used to enhance the flavor, aroma, and color of food. Spices come from the bark, root, buds, seeds, berry, or fruit of tropical plants and trees, while herbs are usually the leaves of plants that do not have a woody stem. When we say a dish is "spicy" in the context of being full of spices or herbs, we're referring to its rich, complex flavors and aromas. This doesn't necessarily mean the dish is "hot" to the taste. For example, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, and basil can make a dish spicy in terms of flavor complexity but not in terms of heat.

Heat: Measured by the Scoville Scale

Scoville Scale: This scale measures the pungency (spicy heat) of chili peppers and other spicy foods. The heat is caused by compounds called capsaicinoids, with capsaicin being the most prevalent. Foods high on the Scoville scale are "hot" or "fiery" and can cause a burning sensation in the mouth.

Vocabulary Distinction

Flavorful but Not Hot: Dishes or ingredients that are rich in spices and herbs but not capsaicin-based can be described as "aromatic," "herbaceous," "savory," or "spiced." These terms suggest a depth of flavor without implying heat.

Hot but Might Be Bland: Conversely, a dish could be technically high on the Scoville scale due to the presence of capsaicin but not have much complexity in its flavor profile. Such dishes might be described as "hot," "fiery," "spicy," or "piquant." In this context, "spicy" refers specifically to the sensation of heat, not the variety of spices.

Conclusion

It's important to make a distinction between the complexity of flavors provided by non-capsaicin spices and herbs and the physical sensation of heat that comes from capsaicin. A dish can be richly spiced without being hot, and a dish can be hot without offering a wide range of flavors. When describing food, specifying whether it's "flavorfully spiced" or "hot/spicy" can help clarify this distinction.

{1}oops I blundered again. I failed to make that damned Ai focus on the common language usage. But I will let it go now. I have seen enough{/1}

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2024, 06:00:36 PM »
Quote from: brandnewb
I will tell you one thing. I am learning to distrust AI answers less and less.

AI has been around for 20 years. when you play a /log into youtube it remembers what songs you have played and replays them in the future. just because it "remembers" the songs doesn't mean its thinking.

we use fuzzy logic here...

JW
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 08:01:45 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2024, 07:28:52 PM »

I'm putting together a computer,(with special motherboard) were trying to change with a different binary encoding. Going from 8 to 7.

Quote from: JW
operating system in 1975.[4][5] The BIOS originally proprietary to the IBM PC has been reverse engineered by some companies (such as Phoenix Technologies) looking to create compatible systems. The interface of that original system serves as a de facto standard.

The BIOS in modern PCs initializes and tests the system hardware components (Power-on self-test), and loads a boot loader from a mass storage device which then initializes a kernel. In the era of DOS, the BIOS provided BIOS interrupt calls for the keyboard, display, storage, and other input/output (I/O) devices that standardized an interface to application programs and the operating system. More recent operating systems do not use the BIOS interrupt calls after startup.[6]

Most BIOS implementations are specifically designed to work with a particular computer or motherboard model, by interfacing with various devices especially system chipset. Originally, BIOS firmware was stored in a ROM chip on the PC motherboard. In later computer systems, the BIOS contents are stored on flash memory so it can be rewritten without removing the chip from the motherboard. This allows easy, end-user updates to the BIOS firmware so new features can be added or bugs can be fixed, but it also creates a possibility for the computer to become infected with BIOS rootkits. Furthermore, a BIOS upgrade that fails could brick the motherboard. The last version of Microsoft Windows to officially support running on PCs which use legacy BIOS firmware is Windows 10 as Windows 11 requires a UEFI-compliant system.

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a successor to the legacy PC BIOS, aiming to address its technical limitations.[7

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2024, 08:27:50 PM »
Quote from: JW
AI has been around for 20 years. when you play a /log into youtube it remembers what songs you have played and replays them in the future. just because it "remembers" the songs doesn't mean its thinking.

Ha   :D

I remember this discussion with user Flux that I had. My uncle made a  vawt wind turbine. He mentioned to me after I said if they used an air core alt, it may have worked. He reminded me "just because its spinning doesn't mean its making power". 

JW