Author Topic: Gecko catching machine  (Read 4414 times)

David HK

Gecko catching machine
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
Here in Hong Kong we have geckos. These are small lizard like creatures that can run up and down walls as well as doing the same in the azimuth plane.

They are quite useful creatures and will eat mosquitos and attack cockroaches so it's better not to kill them. But they are also lazy and if they can scavenge food in any form lying around the kitchen they will go for that before eating mosquitos.

There are one or two big ones – probably well fed - that haunt my kitchen and worst of all they leave crap behind which is a hygiene hazard.

For several years I have searched the Internet looking for gecko catching machines and to this day have never found one.

A year or two ago I made up an electro mechanical circuit which used an infrared beam to trigger a relay which then triggered a solenoid so that a trap door would close on a cage holding the trapped gecko. It was a Heath Robinson affair and after one night's use the 12 volt battery would run flat.

Just recently I contacted our resident genius (Ghurd) and enquired if he could offer any ideas to replace the relay part of the circuit, and, after triggering, kill the circuit to preserve battery power.

I am delighted to report that Ghurd came up with a P-Fet and N-Fet circuit that does exactly what is described in the foregoing paragraph.

Photographs of the machine are shown below and most readers should be able to observe how it works. The cork stopper at one end is where tempting food goes in on a small tray made out of tinfoil.  At the other end is a trap door which the gecko has to walk through until it is around 80% into the tube to reach the food. Before the food is an infrared beam and if the gecko breaks this the door closes before the gecko has time to think of escape. When a gecko is captured it is taken to a country location some miles away for release.

To avoid magnetizing the reed switch contacts at the trapdoor end, the door can be removed from the slide and turned 180 degrees and re-inserted into the slide when not in use. This distance should avoid magnetization.

The circuit design is credited to Ghurd.

The next job is to try catching geckos.

The only thing I do not have an answer for is whether or not geckos can see infrared light.

The system can be modified for all sorts of other uses.

David in HK

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
Re: Gecko catching machine
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:24:47 AM »
Nice machine, just remember what happens when you build a better " mousetrap "
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:19 AM »
Looks Great David!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Fused

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
Cool idea, and Gecko friendly!

Let us know how it works.

Fused

dave ames

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
  LEAPING LIZARDS!

David, sorry for the late response. somehow missed this one - saw the mention of a gecko catching machine in a recent thread and had to have a look see..

this looks like a ton of fun! have you had any luck yet?

curious if you just leave it in the "gecko run" or is it baited? i don't think they will see the infrared light (your trigger) as a warm place to lay, if that was what you are hoping for. or were you worried about them seeing it and being warned off?

cool project!

kind regards, dave

edit: on re-reading your post i see it's baited at one end..neat.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:07:43 PM by dave ames »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
15 minutes could save you 15% on car insurance...

And I chalked the comment up in another thread as just a joke... didn't realize that someone was actually building one of these things.

<--- Gave inspiration to a Google images trip that ended up locating this. Hahaha

Interesting machine... So has it caught anything? LOL

I tried to design something similar once for mice, you know - in an attempt to be humane, and well, found that it was better just to kill the little bastards. They don't serve much purpose unless your thing is to acquire disease and a bunch more mice. Then they're perfect!

Glad to see that 'vermin aint necessarily vermin', and that the creatures of outdoor can actually serve purpose within. But if that's the case, why take them so far away when you catch them? Why not just set them free a short distance from the house?

I'd buy the plans for a dollar if it would catch the Geico Gecko...  I'd ship his annoying !@$ to Zimbabwe or something... ;D

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

David HK

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
Its sod's law!

After completing the electronics layout with Ghurd's revision I suddenly stopped seeing any gecko's in my kitchen!

In fact I have not seen one for weeks, but that does mean they are not around.

Spring is now arriving in Hong Kong and I am sure the geckos will return - if so, I shall be ready.

It has always been my plan to place the machine in or near a gecko's 'run' and I do plan to bait it with chocolate biscuit or some other tasty morsel.

I will keep the forum updated and send a photograph of any successful catch.

David in Hong Kong