Homebrewed Electricity > Solar

Making decent solar panels part 1

<< < (2/5) > >>

Volvo farmer:
Oz, have you actually put your panels out in the sun yet and checked the power output?  I built my panels with the exact same looking cells, but more of mine were chipped/cracked or off-color than the ones appear to be in the current auctions.  Anyway, my point is, that I built 72 cell panels, and have never seen more than 3A@26V out of any of them.  On a nice cold winter day at noon, I'm seeing around 10 amps into 24V nominal batteries out of 288 cells.  So the auctions I looked at were advertising these as 1.8 watts/cell and I am observing somewhere around half that.  I believe my cells were rated at 1.5 watts-per-cell, because I was expecting to build 100 watt panels.

While we both agree about whether this is a cost-effective way to make solar electricity versus manufactured panels, I am curious if your cost per watt might be somewhat low because of using the stated watt/cell in the auction. rather than a measured figure.

ghurd:
Looks Great Oz.

What VF said.
Most companies test and sort the individual cells.  A couple weak cells in the string will hold back the output.

For a while, one company I dealt with had 70, 75, 80, 85, and 90W panels with "the exact same parts".  Had to look at the sticker to tell what it was.
The lower grade cells went into the 70W.  Highest into the 90W.

The good thing for me was the 75 and 80W were the best $/W, but they sold fast too, so when I ordered large quantities they never had enough 75/80W and always sent 85/90W for the same price.   ;D
G-

DamonHD:
When I selected my grid-tie PV I asked for the highest-grade panels of the type I liked in the hope that they were actually the 'or over' category.  Generally they have performed above expectations, so I may have been right.

Rgds

Damon

dave ames:

cheers oztules,

this is a topic i swore i'd never revisit.

it's heartbreaking to see ones hard work go to bits like a turd in the rain.  :'(

but now a tasmanian devil hints at the possibility of achieving clean room results with backyard caveman equipment ..we have to pull up a desk and get out the scratch pad.

following along here in the back row,
kind regards..dave  kb1mzf

phil b:
Hi Oztules
I'm glad to see your posts on solar panels. I too, have had limited success from making solar panels. Mine lasted a few years in a wooden garage door frame. The output progressively got worse with time. Still, for my money, I'll buy them.
I am currently attempting to encapsulate LED modules into groups of 24. I want to use them outdoors and on emergency vehicles for non-commercial use. I'm thinking the EVA may be something to experiment with...if I can find a good reputable company to deal with. Smooth-on's crystal clear pour on stuff offers promise, but it is expensive.

I'm looking forward to your next write up. Excellent and thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version