Author Topic: DR2412 Fan runs all the time  (Read 2963 times)

veewee77

DR2412 Fan runs all the time
« on: December 23, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
HI all!

I have a Trace DR 2412 inverter and when you apply DC to it, it goes through it's post, clicks a few times like it supposed to and then goes to standby (with no load; if a load is turned on, it starts). During the post, it turns it's fan on. Always. I know it isn't a heat problem, because it was about 30 degrees in there today when I went in there. But it did that earlier in the year when it was warmer. Any ideas on why it started doing this and how can I fix it? It operates as it should in every other way, just the fan runs all the time it is powered on, hot or not, on or on standby.

Thanks!

Doug

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:04:48 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: DR2412 Fan runs all the time
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »
Doug;

My first suspect would be the thermal sensor that controls the fan. Maybe it shorted?

Good luck tracking it down.

Tom

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:51:39 AM by (unknown) »

herbnz

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Hi

Had similar problem DR2424 only mine was not only running fan but the slightest load made it shut down on overload. I did post here trying to source service info , no luck tho. There is aheat sensor glued to the transformer but I feel that you have developed a fault like I had where it is sensing a false load. This is done by current transformer on the separate board after the transformer and feed back to the mainboard where it plugs in. In my case when I could not source info was to remove all the boards clean dust etc off check all connections re solder any thing that looked bad put back together giving all plugs a good wriggle on turning on it worked now back service 3 or 4 months.

Herb

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:14:40 PM by (unknown) »

veewee77

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »
Mine operates completely as it should in every other way except that the fan stays on. The load sensing circuit works fine, the charging/battery switching works as it should, the standby is fine and everything. Just that the fan runs. Even when the inverter switches to standby.

Still looking for answers. . .

Doug

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:48:35 PM by (unknown) »

Akha

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:26:31 PM »
I have a sw2512 same problem, fan came on, runs all the time, cold weather, no reason, some times was triggering fan on and off. Ideas?

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
I have a 1000W inverter (can't recollect the model just now) that had a fan that was rather erratic; when it was new, the fan was always on. The manual states a temp controlled fan. After some use, the fan stopped for some days usage, then started turning on/off as it saw fit. ;)

I opened it up and found a simple termal switch encased in plastic, fastened between the fets. i loosened it and measured it, and found it ok, so i put it back in place. After that, the fan has behaved as it should; starting only when the inverter turned hot.

I guess it just was some bad connection/short... I should ofcourse have gone over the solder points around the switch, but i didn't. ;) If it starts to misbehave again, i'd do just that. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

hydrosun

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
I worked on a SW4024 inverter that the fan would stay on all the time. I tracked it to a thermal sensor on the fet board that showed a dead short. I cut it out and then hooked the leads to the fan to the output wires to the other fan that was controlled by a sensor on the transformer. So both fans turn on to keep the interior cool when the charging or load is large.
I've never had the cover off a DR inverter so I don't know if it also has two sensors and fan, so I don't know if this fix will help you. I did try to replace the sensor with a snap thermostat but that wouldn't work. I don't know what the resistance value of the thermistor used in these inverters but my guess it is in the 10,000 ohm range like the ones used by thermal sensors for solar hot water. But I could be way off. I know that the battery temp sensors for Trace and Outback inverters use different ohm ratings.
Getting in to replace  the sensor on the fet board was more than I wanted to attempt. It was samwitched in with the fets under the heat sink.