Author Topic: Dual Power Transfer Switch - Is it Possible???  (Read 455 times)

Dirtydiesel

Dual Power Transfer Switch - Is it Possible???
« on: April 09, 2024, 10:57:53 PM »

I want to wire both generators to some kind of manual transfer switch where I can hook up both hots and neutral to one side of switch from 240v generator (4 prong twist lock) for welding and just one hot and neutral (120V) to other side of switch from Yamaha 3000watt (3 prong twist lock )when I want to charge solar batteries. As a side note, if I am charging batteries and the 30amp double pole house breaker is on, the welder 30amp double pole breaker would be off and vice versa on the gen shed breaker panel.

I have seen dual switches like CNC (it won't let me upload picture) but I don't think they have a terminal for neutral and ground wires, I believe just for the hots.

I would appreciate any suggestions or idea you may have to figure out if this is an option.

bigrockcandymountain

Re: Dual Power Transfer Switch - Is it Possible???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 06:04:30 PM »
I built a panel interlock that is just some sliding steel plate, that makes it impossible to turn 2 breakers on until one is turned off.  It took a bit of drawing and head scratching, but once i had it fugured, it was unbelievably simple.  It's all just breakers in a standard panel.  All i built was a sliding plate out of 1/8" steel. 

I also can't post pictures.

I can't exactly picture what you are trying to do, but maybe something like that would work. 

Dirtydiesel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 10:23:58 PM »
Hey, I am trying to hook up a 240v generator and a 120V generator to power a breaker panel box which will then send the power to the house. I want to be able to use a switch to decide which generator I am going to use. I wish I could upload a picture so I can show what I am trying to do, it would be much easier to understand.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 10:39:17 PM »
Hey, I am trying to hook up a 240v generator and a 120V generator to power a breaker panel box which will then send the power to the house. I want to be able to use a switch to decide which generator I am going to use. I wish I could upload a picture so I can show what I am trying to do, it would be much easier to understand.

you only need to switch hot phases, grounds are common... but make sure you use a lockout or transfer switch on the main panel to not back feed the grid!!!

Dirtydiesel

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 01:05:04 AM »
Thanks, I won't need to worry about back feeding a grid, I am totally offgrid, no utilities run to my property

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 08:45:25 AM »
If it is just a simple, "one generator or the other, but not both" situation, then a slide or rocker in the breaker panel will work fine.  Also, any manual transfer switch will work too.  One generator would be hooked on the "grid" side and the other on the generator side. 

What kind of inverter / battery charger does this feed?

As mary said, you'll only be switching the hot wires.  All the neutrals and grounds are common and will stay hooked up. 

The 120v generator will only power half the panel, and of course only send 120v out for charging. 

Dirtydiesel

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 12:15:16 PM »
There is no grid side, this is totally offgrid. There are no utilities on property. I have a magnum 4400 inverter/charger.

The breaker  panel box in gen shed only has eight slots which are already full, one double for house, one double for welder and the rest are single pole for lights and receptacles in gen shed and conex/seacan.

There are 2 hots and a neutral feeding the breaker panel box which come out the wall where I had an old generator feeding power.. Those are the wires I need to somehow connect both generators to and be able to switch ti either the 240v or 120v generator.

What I am now thinking of doing is hook the 120v/3000 watt Yamaha to the breaker panel to charge solar batteries when needed (winter) and instead of using welder plug already wired in gen shed connected to breaker panel, to just make a adapter cord and plug welder directly into 240v generator.

I could just use the 240 volt generator for everything, but the Yamaha 3000watt is half the fuel price to operate and with a liter of gas at $1.60 ($6.40 gallon) and going up in price soon, I would prefer to use the Yamaha to charge solar batteries.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 05:56:32 PM »
There are 2 hots and a neutral feeding the breaker panel box which come out the wall where I had an old generator feeding power.. Those are the wires I need to somehow connect both generators to and be able to switch ti either the 240v or 120v generator.
Any switch sold as a transfer switch could certainly be hooked on these wires and do what you are thinking.  I think your plan for the welder cord makes sense too.

Sounds like a nice setup you've got.  I have  the same inverter and so far it has been flawless.  I ask a lot of it sometimes these days too.  I run an 18" lathe off it, and just recently added a 3kw element to my gas oven to use power when we have lots.

I wish you could post pictures of your setup. It's always neat to see what other off gridders have come up with for solutions. 

Dirtydiesel

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 08:32:07 PM »
I wish you could post pictures of your setup. It's always neat to see what other off gridders have come up with for solutions.
[/quote]

I agree, it is nice to see what others have done, a great way to find ways to incorporate and make things work better. My houses has a 48V solar system. My well pump shed has its own 12V solar system as the pump is a simple pump with a 12v pump and now I am installing a 12V solar system in my gen shed and sea can. I will only need to fire up the Yamaha 3000watt generator to charge house solar panels in the winter on the short when there isn't enough daylight, but that may be resolved when I add a couple more panels or fire up the 11,500 watt generator to weld.

Right now and through the summer into fall, it takes about 2 hours for sun to top up the batteries from night usage and 3-4 hours if it is overcast. If I can figure out why it won't let me upload picture and get that resolved, I will upload pics.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 10:15:03 PM »

I agree, it is nice to see what others have done, a great way to find ways to incorporate and make things work better. My houses has a 48V solar system. My well pump shed has its own 12V solar system as the pump is a simple pump with a 12v pump and now I am installing a 12V solar system in my gen shed and sea can. I will only need to fire up the Yamaha 3000watt generator to charge house solar panels in the winter on the short when there isn't enough daylight, but that may be resolved when I add a couple more panels or fire up the 11,500 watt generator to weld.

Right now and through the summer into fall, it takes about 2 hours for sun to top up the batteries from night usage and 3-4 hours if it is overcast. If I can figure out why it won't let me upload picture and get that resolved, I will upload pics.
[/quote]

pic upload is being worked on... software issue...