Author Topic: A little confused on a few things for my generator.  (Read 1886 times)

Atokatim

A little confused on a few things for my generator.
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
I am in the process of getting a parts list ready so I can order the parts for my generator but I am lost on a few things.  I will either be using a 5hp engine or a stream that is in my back yard. My goal is to generate more amperage with low torque but still try and maintain 12, 24, 48 volts.  I am thinking of staying along the lines of 48 volts since that seems to be the choice of most others.  I don't really have a specific watt range since I want to see how much I can make using different ideas.  I would like to see over or well over 1000 watts though.  From all the research that I have done over the past few months, I still can't seem to figure out a few questions that I have.  Most of the questions that I have been asking are answered with a forum link to another discussion which is no where close to what I am working with.

1 - When building the magnet rotor and using 2" x 1" x 1/2" N52 magnets, do the magnets need to repel or attract the magnet directly next to it on the rotor?

2 - Since I will be using such strong magnets, would using 2 strands of 14 or 12 AWG wire benefit me more than using 1 strand of 13 or 12 AWG since I am working to get more amperage?

3 - How is the output amperage / voltage determined when working with a single test coil?  I have read many topics on this but still can't quite grasp where the "other" numbers are coming into play like RMS.  Does the output voltage AND amperage get multiplied by the number of coils per phase?  So if my test coil puts out 6 volts and 6 amps, I should expect 18 volts and 18 amps per phase?

4 - Since I would like to keep this design as small as possible, what would be the smallest diameter rotor I can get and still have a 3 phase output with 12 magnets and 9 coils based on the size magnets I am getting?  I have seen some 12" diameter plates that I can order but the distance between the magnets on the bottom would be close, and from what I have read, too close and they are less efficient.

hayfarmer

Re: A little confused on a few things for my generator.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »
hello atokatim, got a pic and  or info on your stream?

also have a stream and a future dream.

hayfarmer

Atokatim

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Mine is a small one about 5 to 6 feet wide but it almost always is moving water from the run-offs from other areas going to the Mississippi river.  I really have not done alot of research on the speed the water is moving at, but my guess would be about 1 foot per second or maybe a little less if that is even how you would calculate it.  I am still thinking about going to wind generation since I can run it so much closer to my house.  The stream is well over 100 yards away.

hayfarmer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »

ahhh yes  grass hopper ,  ;D    But the stream is moving 24/7 and sounds like the same size as mine but you may have more flow.this pic was in a bad drought we had this

year,still have to quantify the puddle. ::) Me thinks every add on to you R.E. system is like accessorizing or pimping your ride. 8)

hayfarmer
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:30:33 PM by hayfarmer »

Atokatim

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:13:03 PM »
yes, very true.  The biggest thing is I really don't have the man power / equipment to dig an 18" deep trench from there to my house :p

I went ahead and ordered me some N52 magnets along with some 16 awg wire for my 48 volt system.  I also got me the set of 2 12" magnet disks which I may use for testing purposes.  I am really liking the idea of using brake rotors for the disks.  It would seem that the internal fins would help a bit on cooling along with adding some slots in the stator inside each coil for extra cooling. 

The only thing I am wondering about is if I do go wind power, how long can I short out all the coils to stop the generator from overspeed.  Wouldn't that cause the coils to heat up majorly during a storm with 30 + MPH wind.  I like to tinker with small electronics as well so I was thinking about making a small circuit that would test the RPM of the generator and if it reaches a certain RPM, it would automatically switch the coil connection style to drop the voltage or apply the kill switch.  Once the storm was over or the wind fell below a certain speed, the built in anemometer would release the kill switch and start the generator again.  Just an idea though.  Still have tons of research to do.

hayfarmer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
the experts here which I am not one of them will jump in and advise you.first of all the short kill switch I use to raise and lower the mill,I made a mistake (lazy) and used the kill

switch ,at my micro mill site a 50 mph plus winds bent my blades,in the future I will lower mill at those forecasted speeds.you can build a furling tail for your mill also to turn it

out of the wind. have fun and remember to use the seven p's........proper
                                                                                               prior
                                                                                              planning
                                                                                               prevents
                                                                                               piss
                                                                                               poor
                                                                                                performance
                                                                                                :D

hayfarmer