Author Topic: Prosine inverter  (Read 587 times)

97fishmt

Prosine inverter
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
I'd like to find a deal on a 24 volt inverter soon and I came a cross a 24 volt Prosine 1800 for $500 new in the box.

I know I would be happier with a Trace SW or an Outback but, just checking to see if anyone likes or dislikes one of these.

I have a 12 volt 1800 Prosine and it has worked flawlessly for a few years.  I haven't needed any more power than it can put out except for MiG welding.  My loads are mainly just lighting, television and stereo with light power tools occasionally.  It would make a difference one day if I were to put in a well.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Prosine inverter
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »
That's a pretty good price. I have a Sunforce 12v 1000/2000 surge watt sine inverter, but Home Depot discontinued carrying it. It was only $270 shipped. The price has come down on Amazon since to about $220.

A 24v inverter makes more sense in your power range. Double the voltage and cut IR losses by a factor of 4.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Prosine inverter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
My experience with a Prosine 1800 (and 24v model, too) was that it was unable to start a refrigerator motor.  Even with enormous DC cables and over-sized AC lines to the fridge, too, it just couldn't kick it over.
This is second-hand experience.  I never determined if the problem was the battery being too small or the inverter lacking guts.  My overall impression with the Xantrex inverters is very positive.
Running water is one of those things we come to rely upon VERY easily once it becomes available. 
I also think you should determine if the Prosines are designed as "mobile power" or "fixed" in terms of their grounding provisions.  Depending on how much you want to do with your cabin in the future, you could find yourself taking out the Prosine(s) soon after getting them in just to install another inverter that can properly be connected to a breaker panel etc.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca