Author Topic: making solar panels  (Read 3669 times)

fireofenergy

making solar panels
« on: July 04, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »
Hi, I made some small panels using 1x3 inch cells for a solar light. I simply encased it all between two pieces of glass with silicone. After about a year, it seems the only thing that went wrong is the tape holding the batteries and Cree led under it. I assume that the sealed in silicone approach will last "forever" but know that the ordinary window glass will break as soon as a pine cone or something falls on it.

I can't figure out how to buy tempered glass.

Is there any suppliers that anyone here knows about? You can't cut it either, huh?

I figured out how to make it auto on at dusk using two transistors and a few resistors (and oms law). Now I want to make a larger stained glass version using the 3.6 amp cells on Ebay. I'd hate to give up just because I can't find tempered glass.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 04:52:27 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: making solar panels
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »
Tempered glass is made from regular glass, but once it's heat treated you can't cut it.

You might find tempered glass already framed. You would have to make your solar panels to fit. We used to sell motivational lithos framed in tempered glass. It was made in large quantities to match the frame/litho.  We threw away a dumpster load after too many got broken shipping. We use polycarbonate now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EZMHEI

If you shop WallyWorld or Target, they sell "pyrex" glass cutting boards for $10 and up.

Those are tempered glass and reasonably clear. Make your solar panel that size and frame it.

http://www.hollidaypictureframes.com/products/Glossblackmetalframe.phtml

Will cut to your specified size. The frames we buy for lithos assemble easily with a flat-tip screwdriver.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:55:35 PM by dnix71 »

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:56:47 PM »
a windshield place might be able to get you some tempered glass and safty glass. It might depend on the size you are after. Just an idea
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:56:47 PM by thirteen »
MntMnROY 13

jaskiainen

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:04 AM »
I just asked my friend about cutting the tempered glass and he said it can be done.
All you need is a tub, grinder with diamond wheel (hydraulic or pneumatic because of water) and water.

Just put that glass under water and use grinder to cut it.
Water seems to ease the stresses of that glass when underwater.
It's like using the diamond grinder with glazed tiles.

At least it might be a worth to try?

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
naked curiosity will force me to give this a go....... but I admit I'm not hopeful about it.

..........oztules
Flinders Island Australia

jaskiainen

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:58:16 AM »
Well... At least my friend said he have done it.
I'll call hin this evening and ask further advice and post it in here later on.
For exaple did he cut the glass trough...

This is somewhat interesting subject cause i'm about to try make one 30 watt solar panel soon. Just like yours Oztules.(all stuff ordered already) And i just happen to have plenty of that tempered balcony glass around. Also MAYBE have an opportunity to get plenty more on my hands.

jaskiainen

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
Ok
My friend just called me and i made my questions.
The glass needs to be fully under water. The water eases stresses and vibration of that glass. Probably better to cut through the glass even if he thought it might be ok if you just cut it half way trough.
He also said that it was years ago and he can't remember all the facts but the glass was tempered balcony/patio glass so this should be doable. Also he used very fine diamond wheel not one of those rough cutting with heavy bits.
Also he used ELECTRIC grinder! Yay! I would avoid that near water.

He did cut those glasses for his boat some years ago and they came out just nice.

Best regards jaskiainen

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
Bzzzt - what a friend says doesn't cut it, we have to protect the hobbyists that may read this post years from now...

There is no post-heat-treatment cutting of tempered glass without re-heating it dull-red hot and letting it cool slowly.

Perhaps it was a safety laminated glass w/o temper that benefited from water cooling to keep the plastic core from bubbling.

A cut glass edge has sharp corner micro-fracture stresses that would propagate throughout the tempered piece.

Try to cut tempered and it will turn into pebbles.

jaskiainen

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »
I won't argue with you.
I have never tried that and my friend just did it some, maybe 7 years ago.
One thing i'm sure. The glass was somekind of secure glass.
I need to ask him if it maybe was laminated.