Remote Living > Transportation

Delta Trike on Yard Sale Steroids

(1/4) > >>

MagicValleyHPV:
I've been saddling the blue beast pictured below approaching 2 years now, unassisted. Numerous yard sale finds over the years has left me with a sizable pile of electric push scooter parts. So.. I fished-out a 350 watt motor, the best pair of SLA batteries, and hung'em on the blue beast. To simplify the conversion, all scooter parts were transfered, including the wiring harness. I left the OEM pedal drive intact so the rig would still pacify local moped laws (no license or insurance). It's also comforting to have redundancy if the batteries die too far from a charger. The swap took about an hour and I likely have less than $25 invested. A top speed of about 28 MPH and about 20 MPH up 2-3% grades. It' nearly as addicting as wet T-shirt contests.

Bruce S:
Nice looking setup, about how far will it go on batts alone?
The seat pretty comfortable ?
Just hang a "beverage" holder on one side and your set  ;D
Thanks for the post.
Bruce S

zap:
That is nice.
I've never been able to even cobble something together in that amount of time.  And I've never built one that comes close to 28mph.

coldspot:
 :o
Green with envy.,.,. !
I've been working on my
Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle
since last spring,
No $, no speed controller
120 VDC 2.5HP
7,000 RPM
 treadmill motor
I'd like to use, at around 36 to 48 volts.
I added an extra freewheel
 sprocket to the rear axle to leave the stock pedals as is
and for easy adding to the axle
&^%$#%&^, chain sizes
just when you think it will all work and
#25 and bike sizes are not the same
Should just take an engine off one of my fleet of Gas scooters
and be happy.
 maybe this year???????

No, wait!
The 9' pontoon boat gets a couple of
trolling motors first!
I remember.
LOL

$0.02

MagicValleyHPV:
Thanks, Bruce

--- Quote from: Bruce S on March 10, 2011, 04:18:18 PM ---...about how far will it go on batts alone?
--- End quote ---
Depends. 7 trips to the local grocery @ 1/2 mile ea (lots of stops'n starts), or about 8 miles sans stop signs. The batteries are well used and I wasn't expecting much. I'm upgrading to lithium (cordless drill batteries) this spring.
--- Quote from: Bruce S on March 10, 2011, 04:18:18 PM ---The seat pretty comfortable ?
--- End quote ---
The hard seat was changed to web last summer - vast improvement at higher speeds!

--- Quote from: zap on March 10, 2011, 04:24:38 PM ---I've never been able to even cobble something together in that amount of time.
--- End quote ---
It helps when the donor parts collected need little modifications to adapt to the rig being converted.  Access to a welder certainly helps too. The 80t scooter sprocket adapter simply screws-on a BMX freewheel hub (however, I did have to spot weld it in place as I was spinning it backwards because of left hand drive - the pedals drive the LH wheel only).  

--- Quote from: coldspot on March 10, 2011, 04:26:15 PM --- :o
Green with envy.,.,. !
I've been working on my
Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle
since last spring,
No $, no speed controller
120 VDC 2.5HP
7,000 RPM
 treadmill motor
--- End quote ---
Why such a large motor? I save treadmill motors for drill press and lathe conversions. Motorized kick scooters are everywhere... cheap. You may have to buy batteries or a failed charger, but little else. Just last summer I ended up with 5 parts machines in a 6 block radius from my house. I keep all components and one or two decent frames, but scrap everything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version