Author Topic: I want to power my fridge or freezer with solar and batteries  (Read 37903 times)

Harold in CR

Re: I want to power my fridge or freezer with solar and batteries
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »

To put it simply, the folks who need the tools are too flipping cheap to purchase them.

Mind posting how much the board price was ??  Could you tell us what all was involved from cost of board, to actual install ??  Was there other costs involved ??

I believe that with the rising costs of energy, more folks will be looking for items like you describe.  Thanks for any info you care to share.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
I believe that with the rising costs of energy, more folks will be looking for items like you describe.

Sheah, I second that! ;)

If the price is right, I'd be interested as well. As mentioned though, the whole idea is to go as low as possible in the finance department. Not to condescend, but if the price of the soft start washes out the cost of a higher end inverter, or even comes close, I would imagine that people would shy from it...  ???

That being said, you've got MY attention...

Man, this keeps up, I'll have my whole friggin house running on just 60W worth of PV!  ;D

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

cujet

• my website
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
A few years back, I paid to have a board designed to 'soft start' compressors used in refrigerators, and freezers. It actually started refrigerators and freezers with MSW inverters rated at 500W reliable and allowed them to run with small solar systems and batteries. Yes, I am talking about the CHEAP inverters. The problem is there is not enough demand to build the device. To put it simply, the folks who need the tools are too flipping cheap to purchase them. Ron

That's kinda cool! I have 5 different "cheap" Xantrex inverters (1500W, 400W and some others). They start some smaller motors just fine. I've run my 600W window shaker AC off of the 1500W unit without trouble!

However, this go around, I'd like to purchase a high end inverter, that's big enough and reliable enough to do the job.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:13:48 PM by cujet »

Justoine Knight

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:15 AM »
ALL the Danfoss 12/24V DC models have there own electronic controller module - its an inverter...
Actually, it's a variable speed electronic commutator - although this is very much like an inverter. They use brushless DC motors in the compressors which need feeding at the right frequency. I don't have the figures but this has to be more efficient than converting to mains voltage. My 2.5kVA inverter draws nearly 2A from 24V with no load.

Seek out info on the Danfoss BD35K compressor which is designed to run directly from a solar array:
http://www.danfoss.com/Products/Categories/Literature/ra/Compressors/Direct-Current-Compressors/Direct-Current-Compressors-Solar-Applications-10-45V-DC/ee06f4a0-0649-4e60-901c-8ea54593a573.html

And in particular this introduction about solar refrigeration:
http://www.ra.danfoss.com/TechnicalInfo/Literature/Manuals/06/application_guideline_bd_solar_09-2005_pa100a202.pdf
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:43:19 AM by Justoine Knight »