Author Topic: Backup generator size  (Read 3320 times)

Andrew1

Backup generator size
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:31 PM »
Hi, I want to get an inverter generator, either 1 or 2 Kw, to charge my batteries (675  Kw/hr) with a Xantrex Trace Dr 12v 1500w inverter charger. I've lost the manual for the inverter, and I'm wondering if a 1Kw generator will be effective or should I go for the 2Kw one. Thanks for any help.

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Backup generator size
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »
Wow - they don't write manuals like that anymore - a great read for anyone.

http://www.solarcellsales.com/products/DR1512.cfm  <--- get them quick before they take it down, very rare web document!

They list a Honda 800 in the manual so 1kW or 2kW would both work - You can adjust the chargers output current to put the ICE generator into its most efficient power load.

Inverter generators are great except but they are in the portable inverter class, meaning no neutral bonding allowed and usually are actually pulse alternating DC so its never more than 60V in relation to ground for safety around campsites or other open-air applications..

Not quite sure how one of the little inverter generators will work EVEN if the neutral-ground bridging remains open - Trace says its not bonded at the inverter but that and the entire system would need checking before first power up. REMEMBER it will destroy the output section if the generator is not made expressly for residential type distribution systems!

Andrew1

Re: Backup generator size
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks for that. I didn't realize the manual was available online. I'm having trouble downloading it just at the moment, but I'll get there. I remember that it says small portable type generators MUST NOT be used, but I figured it was simply because of the irregular cycle caused by a single cylinder engine not being recognized by the inverter input side. I didn't realize damage could be done. That's why I thought an inverter generator would be ok, because it will have a perfect cycle. The inverter isn't connected to the house wiring system, just to a backup consisting of sockets for fridge and freezer. Lights and electronics etc are 12v where possible for simplicity.