Author Topic: Help with tirfor T35 winch  (Read 14643 times)

DenisGCroombs

Help with tirfor T35 winch
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
Hi

I am trying to raise my 50ft tower with a T35 winch (ex UK army made in 1966 recently purchased from eBay) but the original cable was 10metre and now I have to have a 20metre pull cable, but we are having issues getting the cables out of the winch to allow it to be replaced, we have used the winch to push the cable out but it gets to a point where it is released by the jaws because we can push the cable no further using the winch but the cable cannot be pulled out (we have even used a 4 wheel drive truck to try).
The winch worked perfect with the 10metre cable it was just not long enough to pull my tower up.
Or know where I can find a manual in PDF format

Any Tirfor experts out there able to help ?

Thanks
Denis

97fishmt

Re: Help with tirfor T35 winch
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
Hi
I don't know if yours was built like the one I have
but here is the service and maintenance manual for the tu-28.
http://tractel.com/files/127192958567447.pdf

Mine came with 20' of 7/16" wire rope and it came right out
by releasing the jaws and pulling it out.  I bought a 200' spool
to replace it and it went right in and closed the lever for the jaws
and I'm in business.

Hope it helps. :)

Mike

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:40:20 PM »
Hi Mike

Thanks for that pdf, that new version is make from a 2 part press steel casing and I think is approx 1/2 of the load capacity, but mine is a 2 part case aluminium housing as per http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-TONNE-TIRFOR-CW-ROPE-original-tirfor-t35_W0QQitemZ370487673391QQihZ024QQcategoryZ66938QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But have not been able to find a repair or maintenance manual for my model but have now been sent a user manual for models like mine and that has been a fantastic help, but now think that maybe I need to find a local expert to find out how to get the 20metre cable out and see if has been damaged and if so get the raper on the end of the cable repaired.
I have found references on other forums where people have taken these apart and not been able to get them back together because of the springs inside that can fly out of position before you can find out where they came from a maintenance manual would solve that issue, but I have now contacted the manufacturers to see if they have a local certified repairer as a last resort.

Regards
Denis

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:36:41 AM »
Usually there will be a third lever that is used to release the rope.  On a proper Tirfor this is always quite a struggle to operate.  Push the two main levers toward the release lever first of all.  Then push the release lever toward them as hard as you can until it latches in place.  Lots of sweating and cursing and faffing about is normal.  then it latches in place and you can slide the lifting rope/cable through the machine to the desired point or remove it entirely.

The release lever is often yellow in colour, and there may be a safety device that has to be found and rotated before you can move it.  Sometimes this needs a screwdriver to turn it. Then you can sllide the yellow lever along and lift it slightly to lock it in place.

I hope that works for you.
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
" Lots of sweating and cursing and faffing about is normal "   LOL I'm intimately familiar with the sweating and cursing but "faffing"? That's gotta be an Irish thing, LOL.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:04:23 AM »
Have you contacted the seller?

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
Hi

Yes tried that, but they are a second hand re-seller and know how to use but not maintain them, so am now phoning round to fin a local repairer to ensure a quality repair manily to the wire end that I believe is badly damaged.

Regards
Denis

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
   LOL I'm intimately familiar with the sweating and cursing but "faffing"? That's gotta be an Irish thing, LOL.

In that context, I would think fafing would translate to "effing" in a G rated forum such as this. ;D :o ???

On topic: my grip hoist (tirfor) knockoff requires a difficult positioning of both levers where one requires a hard smack to get it where it locks in position and releases the cable. Then it just slides through easy as it gets. No way you could release it under load which is good so be certain it has zero pressure on either end of the wire.

Tom

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Hi Tom

So do both of your levers have to be pushed fully forward and then some to get it to release the cable ?
We have push both forward but never tried to force them any further, but the slot is still very underused when they are both fully forward at the moment.

Regards
Denis

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
Denis;

One is pushed fully towards the hook  end and the other is also  towards that end also where it engages a catch that is a separate lever that engages the second lever and releases the cable.. Without dragging it out I can't remember which lever does what. The instructions made it sound easy but it takes a bit of force to engage that catch and release the cable.

Mine is a "Jet" brand.

Tom

scoraigwind

• www.scoraigwind.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
The Jet brand ones are a lot easier to use and generally all roundbetter in my opinion, at least in terms of value for money.  I mostly only use them if I can.

I would not recommend excessive force, but there is a spring to overcome, and also a fair bit of 'technique' involved when dealing with a Tirfor/Griphoist.  So ample pressure combined with some wiggling of things and different angles and pressures on things like operating a worn out lock.

Faffing is a technical term for ineffectual activity.  You often have to faff about a bit to find out how to be effective.
Hugh Piggott scoraigwind.co.uk

kita

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
Hiya,

I have one of the same model, which I picked up from these guys http://www.mod-sales.com/- good place for stopping off on the A1 and browsing ex army kit.

Anyway, like Hugh says, are you sure you have released the jaws properly? If you have the Tirfor infront of you, with the small hole that the cable comes out of facing you and the shackle end furthest away from you, there should be three levers:
-the cable release lever (round knob closest to you)
-the reverse lever (squarish)
-the pull lever (round and furthest away).

You need to press the release lever slightly away from you and DOWN so that it slips off the catch and then slides towards you, on a spring release. Yes its a fiddle, but you will know when it has worked because the lever will be at the end of the slot and you should be able to pull the cable out completely.

If you have done this and still can't get it out because the end of the cable is damaged/ won't fit through the hole, could you try reversing the cable out sufficiently for you to cut the damaged end off and then release as normal?

Good luck!

Felix

P.S. On this model, the pull lever has a pin in the top of it that you can pull out to allow you to change the angle of the cam. I think this lets you select between two 'gear' ranges/ speeds, but not sure- anyone come across this?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
Faffing is a technical term for ineffectual activity.  You often have to faff about a bit to find out how to be effective.

Ok, perfectly clear now, I faff a lot and never even knew it.  :D
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
"faffing"

This is what I call what my wife is doing, when she's starts to fix/work on something. Actually I think its kind of cool.  ;D

In any event, I feel the need to go off topic here. The following image is from a "steam forum" I participate on, this is a project that one of the users of that forum built, its a pulse-jet.

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
I wish I could see that, all I get is the little square with the blue and red triangles and stuff in it.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
No problem!  ;D

Pink Floyd - Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUt7qmSvxLI

fyi "diversionary topics" are there to exhaust internet posting energies, and one can then relax and be most focused...

I understand the need to expel excess energy, hence my comment.

JW

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
Fabricator, if your not seeing the image, then hit this link, its to the original topic "pulse-jet"

http://steamautomobile.com/phorum5214/read.php?1,17234

JW

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
Yikes, that's a whole nuther ballgame right there.