Author Topic: wind atlas  (Read 1217 times)

artv

wind atlas
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:15:48 PM »
Hi all,..I've been looking at a couple different sites about wind speeds at different elavations. The ones I've seen  are pretty vague.
They seem to just lump sum areas into one catagory.That is they give the same speed for my area ,as ten minutes south of me where I know there is alot more wind. So I'm guessing they are not very accurate.
Is there an atlas out there where it can be narrowed down to a specific area (south eastern ontario)or do you just go with the generalized numbers??............been looking but can't seem to find anything specific..........thanks for taking the time......artv

hayfarmer

Re: wind atlas
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »

Hey artv, you got it right, the wind charts are just a general map.There are many areas that differ in wind speeds in the zones they show,for example @ my home the wind speeds are kinda  sad,just like the map shows they

normally post the samples at the same height. cant remember what it was but just a bit higher get allot of wind, where I will push up my turbine 55 feet is moving pretty good here.At my farm just 4 miles as the wind blows

the wind is awesome it has wind farm potential and it shows as poor on charts,a farm about 5 miles from that you cant keep you hat on most days and has twice my farm wind and shows as poor site.the best advise I can give

get a wireless anemometer and put it at different elevations and record speeds before you build you're  tower ,ridge lines ,  mountain passes, up slopes on hills ,rivers and other factors increase certain corridors for wind.

hayfarmer

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: wind atlas
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »
I don't know what to believe, but I don't believe much of the wind data is good for anywhere but where the gauges are.

Airport, maybe 5~8 miles away(?), can be reading 12-15MPH, and the tips of the tallest trees here are not even wiggling.

Or I can read 8~10MPH at 6' (hand held gauge) here, in town, with trees and many other obstructions, while the airport reads 'calm'.

In your case, it makes no difference, does it?
Admit it. 
Face the implications.
No matter how good, or how bad, you will still have something flying.
Me too.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller