Author Topic: Looking for a couple UPS units.  (Read 4508 times)

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
Looking for a couple UPS units.
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
I am looking for one or two ups units that I can add my own (big) batteries to for my two computers.

If anyone has any with bad batteries or no batteries (even better) that you would be willing to let go of cheap, let me know.

Thanks,

Gary
Live your life in such a way that if you were to find out about you that you would be impressed in you even if it wasn't you. ~ Me

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Looking for a couple UPS units.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
It would help to know what voltage,
and where you are located.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »
I suppose it would wouldn't it. lol

Sorry!

I am located in Quinlan, TX.

I am looking for ups units for my computers. 120 VAC output and I don't really care what voltage for the batteries. I would like to be able to use a few Trojans or some other type of deep cycle, off the shelf battery with them so the longer the run time it was originally rated for the better.
Live your life in such a way that if you were to find out about you that you would be impressed in you even if it wasn't you. ~ Me

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
I have an APC Smart-UPS 700. I found it in the Recycle Bin at work and took it home. It had 2 12 volt batteries in series that were used until the water ran dry. I have never tested this because it was a 24 volt UPS, but it's in perfect physical condition.

It weighs 17 pounds and would ship (without batteries) at about 19 pounds from the 35805 zipcode. If you want it, I would want a couple more dollars than actual shipping would cost.

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »
I don't mean to gyp woofer (sorry if that's the case woof) out of a sale but unless you have something against traveling a little, Dallas craigslist might be your answer.

This took less than 3 minutes of searching on only 3 out of 10 pages of results for "ups".

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ele/2308168659.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/2306610773.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/ele/2299742674.html  $25 for 2!

Good luck.

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:39:26 PM »
@Zap - Thanks, I will look some more on craigslist but the ones you linked to are smaller than I am wanting. I trust the people on this board a little more than strangers on Craigslist too. Even though I haven't been very active here in the last few years.

@Wooferhound - Do you know if it works or not? Do you have anyway to test it to see if it would work if it had batteries? It looks like it would cost me about $15 bucks for shipping. Just let me know how much and how you want me to pay you and I'll take it if you think that it works.

You can contact me via E-Mail if you wish.

I have an APC Smart-UPS 700. I found it in the Recycle Bin at work and took it home. It had 2 12 volt batteries in series that were used until the water ran dry. I have never tested this because it was a 24 volt UPS, but it's in perfect physical condition.

It weighs 17 pounds and would ship (without batteries) at about 19 pounds from the 35805 zipcode. If you want it, I would want a couple more dollars than actual shipping would cost.

(Attachment Link)

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
@Wooferhound - Do you know if it works or not? Do you have anyway to test it to see if it would work if it had batteries? It looks like it would cost me about $15 bucks for shipping. Just let me know how much and how you want me to pay you and I'll take it if you think that it works.

It would be a bit of work for me to test it. I have a couple of extra batteries to make 24v but they would need to be topped up with a charge. I don't have any terminal clamps but maybe I could use some jumper cables somehow. let me look at it all for a while...

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

It would be a bit of work for me to test it. I have a couple of extra batteries to make 24v but they would need to be topped up with a charge. I don't have any terminal clamps but maybe I could use some jumper cables somehow. let me look at it all for a while...

That's fine. just let me know.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »
I have several of the smaller cousin that woof has, 700VA 24V units.

Batteries removed, all should be in working order. They're in the attic for if and when the units I have running my servers take a dump on me, but I have like 8 of them. Not really foreseeing needing that many for myself, but got a good deal on them when I picked them up.

They're in Virginia.

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

MagicValleyHPV

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
A 'wanted to buy' ad in CL is good too, but I also strongly encourage local secondhand outlets. All too frequently they seem a total waste of time, but if you're persistent, they usually produce.

Two weeks ago I scored a dead 24v UPS for $8 - and just two days ago, I snagged a really clean, Legend mobility scooter for $50. Not unlike the UPS, the scooter had dead batteries, but otherwise was excellent. I'm planning yet another 'conversion' to make it a roadworthy grocery getter powered via two Dewalt 28v lithium cordless drill packs. Very similar to this one I did over 2 years ago which my 87 YO father rides:

http://i56.tinypic.com/5buxoo.jpg

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
People looking for backup in Texas could call this guy in Haltom City. Ad says local pickup only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-DSV-2000ah-2v-solar-backup-batteries-24V-48000-watt-/130502822115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e629308e3

Gorilla Boy

• The Primal Village
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
@dnix17, MagicValleyHPV and Zap. Thank you, I think you are probably right about looking closer to home. Shipping on these guys even after removing the batteries is probably going to be more than what I could find some around here locally for.

@Madscientist267 and wooferhound, I have decided to withdraw my request and look for some locally. I do appreciate you responding though.

@MagicValleyHPV - That is one cool ride. Very nicely done.

Thanks everyone!