Author Topic: Bicycle hub motor as wind generator?  (Read 16120 times)

Jerry

Bicycle hub motor as wind generator?
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
5 years ago my sons electric bike converson took him on a daily 25 mile round trip from home to colledge. I now have the hub motor from his bike. He has his bussiness degree now and I have the motor. I was playing with it the other day and noticed its a 3 phase PM motor. I think this is a small 250 watt motor? Just for fun I spun it up and measured the voltage between 2 of the 3 wires comming out of the motor. With not to much rpm I was surprized to see around 16 volts, ac ofcource. This was no load. Next I connected a 50 watt incandesent 12v bulb gave it a spin (littel harder to spin this time but not bad) The bulb got realy brite and voltage was aournd 12v. So I'm thinking hey this would make a nice littel wind generator. I did a google search to see if other people had made a wind generator with one of these motors and sure enough a few people have. Has anyone here done this and what were the results.

I'll need some ideas for blade mounting, blades size, changing the fixed shaft to a rotating shaft & ect. How much power could one expect? I'll try a picture here.
Jerry

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Off topic ?? for Jerry...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:11:21 PM »
Jerry;

If you still have your old audiosourcesalem  email from the old days I sent you a message there.

If you don't use that old one let me know your email I have a question for you.

Tom

Jerry

Re: Off topic ?? for Jerry...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
Jerry;

If you still have your old audiosourcesalem  email from the old days I sent you a message there.

If you don't use that old one let me know your email I have a question for you.

Tom
OK TomW. You've got mail. And thanks.

Jerry

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Bicycle hub motor as wind generator?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »
Jerry could you post that pulse charge schematic with the 555 and the 30 volt supply I wanted to know the opto spects you had .

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
There is  aturbine out in the UK market that makes use of an electric bike motor - futurenergy

I have no relation to them just one I have seen.

Regards

Jonathan

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:37:58 PM »
How about just mounting it on a bike fork, put a tail on it, and insert 8-12 blades between the spokes, just as a test? :) I wouldn't trust the axle if mounted only on one side, since the side with wires coming out usually are hollow...

These motors are usually run at 24V-36V with a pwm controller, and max rpm (as a motor) would be no more than 300-400rpm. i'm guessing you'll reach 12V after rectifying all 3 phases at a rather low speed; 60-100rpm maybe? So you would need slow blades with alot of torque...
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
There's a company in China that sells windmills kits based on bike hub motors. Kit quality as a whole isn't that good, but the some of the parts are well made, including the motors. I've had a play around with the 500 watt hub motors, and they do perform pretty good for the price. They can be converted from star to delta, and I have seen over 500 watts on a 2.2m test turbine using GEO222 blades. I know of another person who's seen over 1000 watts, but they cook and burn out at those figures. Due to the magnet placing there is no cogging, but you can feel some iron drag.

Stick a set of torquey blades on it, and I think you will be more than happy with the results for the price. If its a 250 watt motor, then dont try to get more than 250 watts out, set you furling to keep it under that watt figure. I will make more power easily, but will cook itself.

Glenn

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44:14 PM »
Jerry could you post that pulse charge schematic with the 555 and the 30 volt supply I wanted to know the opto spects you had .

Hi tecker.

I'm not sure where that schimatic is. If I don't forget to look for it, I'll do my best to find it. Shortly after buildind it there was the story about the simple fullwave bridge and the motor run cap version. I built that unit. I was so happy with that so I abandoned the 555/ opto unit. I still have that 555/ opto unit.

I would be happy to sell it to you for $25 plus shiping. It would cost you more in parts but the heavy power transformer, big twin computer power supply caps and assosiated parts came fom my previus inventory. Or I could just pull the caps and power transformer and send you the small light stuff for $20 plus shiping.  Thats even less then I've got into that stuff.

However You may find the schimatic on the old board also. What is the project your working on?

Jerry

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
OK calculate the shipping and I'll send you a paypal

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 03:43:13 AM »
OK calculate the shipping and I'll send you a paypal
Drop a total to jwhitlow@tds.net

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »

Jerry

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
OH, its wound 4 in hand. Not sure the gage though? I'll check that out.

Jerry

artv

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 05:11:51 AM »
Sorry to Interrupt,....Jerry do you have details of how you re-wound that??? Looks like in that picture that there are 2 different sets of coils in there??.....artv

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
Artv:
I think that's the original windings. :)

Jerry:
Here's a shot of my 36V 750W bike motor:

A large, detailed version here .

Yours' sure got a lot of copper compared to mine.. ;) But mine seems bigger in diameter, and it has neo's... (I need tools to take out the stator from the rotor.)

I forgot to check if my motor are wound x-in-hand, and i do not know the gauge, but i'm guessing awg14?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:56:07 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Jerry

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
Yep its all stock factory wound. I will measure the diameter later today. I wish there was a better way to mount it. Rather then just the center bolt on 1 side.

These seem to be a good alternator. I will post the mounting system I come up with.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
The stator measures 6" diameter.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
OK got the phases seperated and IRP wires installed.  Next chore, figure geny mounting and blade mounting.

Jerry

Jerry

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
Oh I did IRP. It was easy to get 16.5volts DC with just a hand spin. Bridges perelelled.

Jerry