Author Topic: short circuit protection for inverter AC output  (Read 4095 times)

fabieville

short circuit protection for inverter AC output
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:13:40 AM »
do you know where i could find a short circuit protection schematic for the AC output side of an inverter?

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: short circuit protection for inverter AC output
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
Are you talking about between the inverter and the breaker box? Otherwise the breakers in the box are the short circuit protection for the AC side.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabieville

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »
i am talking if you plug a device in the inverter and that device has a shorts then it wont affect the inverter. Like say you plug in an extension cord that develops a shorts and with that circuit it fires a breaker switch or blow a fuse before the shorts gets to damage the inverter. I need a circuit that can make this happen just like how the top of the line inverters like xantrex does.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
The simpilest way is a fuse or circuit breaker or a multipul outlet board with overload built in.

The principal reason for fuses and circuit breakers is to protect cables from gross overload, if you are plugging an extension chord into a cheep inverter and a short develops the inverters overload should take care of that, you may melt your chord, although it is unlikley that the average cheep inverter will have the grunt to melt a chord.

For a precise answer you must give precise information, that was Fabricators point.

Allan
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

boB

• boB
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 11:33:42 PM »
If you mean, how do inverters protect themselves due to  AC overcurrent, it is sometimes done by the AC output current sense transformer and a comparator feeding into the inverter circuitry or microprocessor.  The same CT can also be used to tell what the AC output load is, among other things.

boB
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:38:50 PM by boB »