Author Topic: A/C outflow monitor and control for grid tied solar.  (Read 9770 times)

youmanskids

Re: A/C outflow monitor and control for grid tied solar.
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
Hey Phil,  hope you arw well,  any new traction on my project?  Ive been out for a bit, but still trying to find an AC flow meter that I can put on my main house power line for control of my charger.   thanks Roger
Praise be to God of the universe, who gives us WIND for power.

wolfman

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 01:48:59 AM »
Wouldn't it be fairly simple to add a mechanical meter driving a dc motor off the works?
A simple diode would give a proportional output depending on how many amps were being output to grid.  Shouldn't be very difficult to vary charging amps based on 0-5v or 0-12v output.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 03:45:00 AM »
This is a very old thread that you're waking up...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »
As long as we're waking up the old thread...

If you are using a current transformer to read the current in a split-phase feed, you only need one current transformer (or clamp-on meter).  You just put the two hot lines through the core in opposite directions (i.e. cross them over in an X and clamp the meter onto the crossover, or push them through the toroid in opposite directions).

You should be able to use one of the little semiconductor wattmeters on the voltage (of either half of the split phase if it's a 120v memter) and the output of the current transformer (which may need scaling by changing the shunt in the meter circuit to a moderate value resistor).

Next step, though, is translating the meter display into control information for your charger or its control computer.