Author Topic: break downs/failures  (Read 4545 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
break downs/failures
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »
Its some of the most important stuff to post about.  Anybody had any recently, other than me? Some of us have to learn the hard way.  Some of us learn from others mistakes.
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

cdog

Re: break downs/failures
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
If i knew how to upload pics i would show my parted guy wire disaster over the weekend.....
Thats the reason for my new 13' mill thread....my 10' is dunnnnn lol!

cdog

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »
It hit so hard it bent the splindle for the trailer bearing!!

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Should we have another thread for solar (PV)?  Ground 'mounted' panels blown over in gusts, and cracked...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
Damon - maybe we should!  we're having issues w/that here now too.l... with a lady that lives nearby who bought pole mount racks (they seemed nice) ~ they're not up to the winds this winter though.
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Dixie

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
Maybe if someone here would figure out how to build a reliable machine, we wouldn't need to learn about failures.

Or is it the dogs, keeping an eye on things?

http://www.otherpower.com/bigmills3.html

Going on 8 years of providing Magnum PI. And Star Trek.

Show starts at 7.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Time flies when you're having fun! Are there still three stands of #4 laying across the ground as a hazard on the sixth hole?
Less bark, more wag.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
I looked thru all my Picasa stuff and can't find the photos.  I know they're there someplace.

Anyway, several years back I had 7.6 foot turbine that I was using to heat water with.  I had it putting out around 2 kW on a regular basis, and the magnets left it.  It had 1/4" thick wedge magnets in it that I got from Ed Lenz.  They weren't pinned or retained in any way.  Just glued with JB Weld and the rotors potted in resin.  To this day I got Rare Earth Deposits in the field east of the house because I never found all the magnets from it.

After the magnets left it put a severe test to the blades.  The blades didn't survive the test.  I'm not sure if they clipped the tower or just broke.  But all that was left was the root of the blades still bolted to the hub.  One blade was sticking in the ground at the base of the tower and the other two were about 100 yards or so from the tower.

I was not around when it blew up.  I came home and found it that way.  Since then, I have NEVER built another wind turbine and just relied on epoxy or resin to hold the magnets on.

Edit: I had another one right in the shop once.  I made a 8 foot rotor out of PVC blades.  I was running it in the shop on a stand with no generator and blowing air on it with a pair of high speed 3 hp fans to see how fast it would run.  One of the blades broke and put a hole in the shop ceiling.  And then the stand tipped over and the other two shattered when they hit the floor.

My wife heard the explosion from inside the house, over the sound from the generator running, and she came running out to see what I had done this time.  I believe my exact reply to her question of "What the HELL are you doing?" was, "PVC is not a suitable material for wind turbine blades........"
--
Chris
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:46:17 PM by ChrisOlson »

Dixie

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Bob: Yes. well, 9th hole.

But we keep an eye out for worn insulation in the traffic areas. And as always, players must move the wires if they are in the path of their swing.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
On Harbor Fright solar panels add glue to the junction boxes or they will fall off. Also reseal all the edges or they leak and die. Best is to just not buy from them!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
On Harbor Fright solar panels add glue to the junction boxes or they will fall off. Also reseal all the edges or they leak and die. Best is to just not buy from them!
I have 6 of these left from the total of 9 at one time, I've not added anything to them and they're still doing just fine.
I know NTL had ones he tested and just kept taking them back until he got known good sets. Of the 18 total I know of in my area, none of them have failed.
Just lucky I guess.
My next purchases will be from sunelec though, they're prices are now inline with what I can afford.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »
Quote from: DanB
Anybody had any recently, other than me?

I spent a coupla minuite's looking for this picture :)

-edit- this picture was originally attached to the forum in Dans' "tail failure thread" I just used the [img] tags to display it here, so we can view the picture in multiple threads, having only uploading it to the forum once.-

JW
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:27:28 PM by JW »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 11:00:32 AM »
I've had some bad days, such as this event in 2009:

Just a few months ago I had the down-cable wear through due to twisting against some abrasive edges in my towers yaw-mount:

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146281.msg1000190.html#msg1000190
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca