Logged in users > User Diaries

25 to 30 foot diameter turbine

<< < (3/19) > >>

methanolcat:
 My goal might be unrealistic or set too high or I may just have to work harder to achieve it. I can already see this project taking longer than planned.

Some things I found out today, never use a sprocket with less than 15 teeth, unless its a low speed application and there isn't room for a bigger sprocket.  I was going to use 60 tooth and a 10 tooth, so now its 60 tooth and 15 tooth which drops me to 4:1 ratio.

Also the chain is gonna be running close to the limits on surface footage, so I'm thinking sprockets and chain are no good for this, I am now looking into gears, about 1.5 to 2 inches thick. If I can't find something readily available, in the right price range $100 or less, free is always good, I have some resourceful friends, then I will just have to bite the bullet and make some, time consuming operation, been there done that.

I'm not too far along yet on the gearbox to make major changes if needed, its just tack welded together. I don't think power loss in the gears is gonna be much of an issue with this size machine given the available power in watts at the blade. I would rather lose some power and have a more robust machine in the end.

I have all new bearings, the largest bearings will support the main shaft (200-250 rpm's) They are designed for use in a 25 hp motor (continuous duty) running 1725 rpm so I don't see any problems there. The smaller bearings on the output shaft are also motor bearings, continuous duty at 3450 rpm, and the generator (formerly motor) has its own bearings so really not much load on them as there is nothing other than twisting forces on its shaft. I think I might pull one seal from each bearing and add a small oil pump and lines to spray oil on every bearing, or use catch pots with spouts to direct oil into the bearings, catch pots would catch slung oil from the gears, that would be easy enough to do but may not work well at low speeds, so maybe an oil pump would be best.

Theres a lot more digging for information than I had thought just to get started, just glad I'm not too far in yet.

Matt

oztules:
Gee you have it all in front of you Matt, but if anyone can.... you can.

Will be following your exploits  with interest.

Sparweb
" and in Star, the reactance is even worse and the thing is limited to 600 Watts output."
It's ampere turns that give you  your  flux (back MMF in this case) ......... more turns less amps...... (star) or less turns and more amps (jerry).....

Thanks for the graph.  I wish I was organized as yourself, then I might get some graphs of my own to work out how things are doing........

I just have to face up to the fact that I'm hopeless.

.................oztules

SparWeb:
You've caught me in the middle of "moving" so it's hard to reply in a timely way.  No not moving house, moving website!   I'd like to link you to the test results from running up my Toshiba and Baldor conversions, however I just changed the site hosing "sparweb" so all my files down on my computer, not up where you can see them.  It'll be back and running soon, so you can go "www.sparweb.ca" tomorrow, follow the link to the motor conversions and -voila- lots of graphs and numbers, enough to make even Oztules jealous.

methanolcat:
SparWeb,

Take your time, I'm not going to have this project finished up any time soon anyhow.

Your power out numbers seem strangely low to me, just from what I have seen out of mine.  I think we both have similar but very different conversions unless I am mistaking. I do see some difference, mine has 36 teeth in stator, yours is 48 (is that correct).  I also from what I can tell see that you are using the factory winding and are you using 4 poles?  I did mine like zubbly did and I see very similar output numbers compared to his which seem to be much higher than you are showing, but I also see that you are charging batteries and maybe that has something to do with it. You, zubbly and I all used 24 magnets on the rotor, mine is 12 pole which works out for 36 tooth stator. I didn't see open volts on yours but I would think with factory winding that it would be quite high.

Don't take anything I said as bad, as I don't know all the answers myself, just curious as to why the big differences.

I wish I had more time this weekend but don't unfortunately, maybe some evening this week or next weekend I can get my generator up to the shop with my load and get more information on what I can actually get out of it, we have some pretty powerful lathes there that I am sure I can not stall out or harm doing testing on. I just have to be careful not to burn out my generator in the process,  ;D

Definitely going to gear up some generator, I have several leads on gears that will out last me 1.5 - 2 inches thick in the 6:1 range, bull gear and pinion from old (sorry to some folks) 30's, 40's, and 50's tractors, ebay has quite a few and 1 seller is an hour away from me, so maybe a short road trip with a tape measure and $75 will get me what I need.

I found a small oil pump in all my junk that would fit right inside the gear case to feed oil to all the bearings and gears, a big plus.

Nothing further as of now, Matt

SparWeb:
Okay, it's back on line now.   Hopefully all of it   :-[

http://www.sparweb.ca/3_Gen_MoCo/Toshi.html

I didn't write nearly as much detail about the 7.5HP conversion as I did about the Baldor conversion I did last year.  There are scant pictures about the Toshiba, sorry, but I have other notes that I can look through for more details.  The process is about the same for all of these conversions I've done so flipping from one to another should help.

There are a lot of things you did with your 7.5HP conversion that I didn't do.  Those differences are probably very important.  If you actually are planning to do a test, I'll be the first in line to read it (no pressure man).  All my tests have been done with battery charging loads, so if you use resistance we're comparing apples and oranges again.

These motors all have lots of wires coming out of them, which waters down my spirit for re-winding the wires.  My Baldor runs in Star and IRP - I have a simple switch at the bottom of the tower, so I can run it either "fast" or "slow".  It does what I need it to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version