Notices > Polls

Sanity Check

<< < (4/4)

Simen:

--- Quote ---Is it really worth it?
--- End quote ---

Considering that LiIon can be safely discharged down to 80%, and discharge/charge cycles are at least 4x to 5x that of SLA, the price does even out. (To get the same useable Ah and lifespan with sla's, one have to buy approx. 2x Ah of sla's, 5 times during the same lifespan of similar LiIon.)

But it is a lot of money at once...

The controller you linked to have max 16A discharge, and the ability to charge and discharge at the same time. If you are ok with 10A max discharge and charge/discharge separate; a $15 controller would be fine:
http://www.batteryspace.com/Customize-Polymer-Li-Ion-Battery-Module-14.8V-9Ah-133-Wh-7A-rate.aspx
Both of these have cell balancing, which i consider important for LiIon's lifespan.

Edit:
And as Damon says; zero maint. ;)

Madscientist267:
I'm fine with 16A limited discharge; the meter box is fused at 8A-SB to protect the 10A shunt. ;)

My maximum average discharge continuous would be in the range of about 5A. That's running my (currently) most efficient laptop, a hacked all to hell Peltier cooler, my 'tent ceiling fan' (more on that in the diary thread later), and charging a cell phone all at the same time.

I'm avoiding anything above 36-40AH as this would be difficult to recover in any reasonable time with the panels I have (60W, 45 typical). There is DEFINITELY one BIG plus to running Lithium - I don't have to worry about partial discharges sitting any length of time like I do with lead acid.

I want the higher capacity however so that when there is a drain, and no real usable light (cloudy), I can still have reserve left over to do some odds and ends. The cell phone comes to mind.

Ok so now that I think you guys have helped me decide that Lithium may very well be the way to go, where's the cheapest place to get them (with the controllers) to get max bang for me buck? ;)

Is 'batteryspace' the way to go here?

Steve

Simen:
Cheapest?
There, i cannot help you any more than Google can... ;D

But i think there's cheaper places than Batteryspace when it comes to the cells, though their controllers does look nice... :)
(My 36V, 16Ah e-bike battery from Goldenmotor consist of 40pc 26650 cells and a 36V (10cell) pcm controller (30A cont, 60A peak) in an alu-case, costs $395 - but; they offer only air freight @ $135, so...)

Madscientist267:
Little update here...

I haven't been able to do the lithiums yet, but have learned a little more about the SLA issue.

It's definitely the discharge rate. At ~C/10 discharge, I get about between 7 and 8 AH out of the battery that prompted this poll.

SLA just isn't as robust as FLA when it comes to higher discharge rates. :(

It's within reason however knowing that the battery sat for several months before I got it, and factoring peukert into it, I won't complain.

Charge rates and finishing/floating voltages are also very key, not just charge to charge, but overall lifespan!

Oh well, it will have to do for now, but I appreciate the info and responses. Lithium is coming as soon as I have the cash to throw at it!

Steve

Norm:
One of these days I'll have to do a study on some of my
NiCads....right now I'm just pedaling and charging my DoubleStuff
2.6 Amp/hr 14.4 volt batteries only have two right now that I put
20 watt/hrs. in each. after I have let them rest for about a half hour
they are reading 16.6 I'm anxious to see how they hold up, maybe see
how many 1/2 holes I can drill in wood.....
  In  the meantime also making a charging outlet that I can plug 5 of my
dual twelve 2.6 amp/hr NiCads in at a time.
  Just having a terriffic time kiitchen door open and keeping cool with a ( was 68,
now 72 degree partly cloudy day)
 Have fun !
Norm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version