Author Topic: Measuring Inductance  (Read 6978 times)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
Measuring Inductance
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
Dunno where else to put this, and since its being applied to a buck converter, I figured this was the best place. So here goes.

Is there a dead simple way of making an adapter of some kind so that the average DMM can read (or otherwise provide calculable information for) determining the value of an inductor?

I need to measure/tweak toroids, and have no idea how to go about getting their stats.

Please! Help!  ??? I'm lost here...

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

joestue

Re: Measuring Inductance
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »
do you have an o'scope and a signal generator?

Tim does an excellent job explaining this stuff.
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms/Elec_Inductor.html
http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms/Elec_Magnetics.html
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Madscientist267

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:10 PM »
Scope, yes. Calibrated sig-gen? no... But I'm assuming you're saying make a tank with known capacitance, hit it with a signal generator and look for resonance?

Guess in that case I wouldn't need a calibrated source, the scope would tell me the frequency...

Would a 555 work?

Steve

joestue

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »
you want something a little better than a 555 to drive the inductor, feed the 555 into a flipflop, use that to drive a push-pull transformer with two mosfets and you got yourself a sig gen that can drive double digit watts into just about anything. stick a resistor in the dc supply feeding the transformer and you won't fry it shorting it out.

it will output a 50% square wave though, which is fine for measuring inductors.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Madscientist267

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
Sounds good... will give it a shot...

Steve

commanda

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
I found a cct online for an add-on unit for a DMM to do this. Uses one quad nand gate. I built it, and it works great.
If I can re-find it, I'll post the link.

Amanda

Here it is .......

http://freecircuitdiagram.com/2009/05/12/inductance-meter-circuit/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:51:04 PM by commanda »

Madscientist267

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:57:20 PM »
Excellent - Thanks!!! This has been a thorn in my side for a LONG time, finally said enuf's enuf!!  >:(

It will come in handy I'm sure for this whole buck thing... I keep seeing different values, all in the 150-400 uH range, but have no way of telling!!! :(

Now I do.  ;D

Steve

commanda

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »
Furthermore, you may find this interesting.

http://www.vk2zay.net/article/200

I haven't built it yet myself, but I do have a nice function generator that should drive it.

Amanda

Opera House

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Saturation is worth mentioning.  Just because you have the right inductance doesn't mean the inductor will do its job.  Once it saturates the coil is just a resistor.

I've used that saturation technique to determine the mechanical speed of relays and solenoids.  As the core pulls in the inductance changes and therefore the slope.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:56 PM »
Here is a fairly inexpensive Inductance Meter Kit . . .
http://www.electronics-diy.com/store.php?sel=kits

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
Are you sure you don't just want to get a DMM that measures inductance?  200$ or so?  Other useful features such as Hz and capacitance and logic levels galore?

I'm all for DIY, and I'd find it interesting to build it myself, too.  But if I did build one, I wouldn't believe the results until I'd calibrated it six ways to Sunday.... a process that requires the o-scope etc.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Madscientist267

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
Yeah thats ultimately the direction I went... Didn't want to bother with all the crazy calibration stuff.

And even as it is, I don't completely trust the one I got... it's a 'Sinometer' LMFAO

Cheap made in hong kong crap... but whatever. haha

Steve

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
I remember doing this as a kid. To measure inducance all you need is a AC step down transformer to provide 6 to 12 or so volts. A fillimant transformer is perfect. Connect the inductor in series with a resistor, low ohm, somewhere between 1 and 10, depends on the inductor, 10 or so watts. Apply AC to the circuit, then use a multimeter to measure the AC voltage across the inductor and also the resistor, write down both readings. Then disconnect it from the power cause it will be getting warm. You play around with the resistance value to get both readings about the same, just more accurate that way.

Then we use maths. We know the value of R, our resistor, and we can work out the circuit current (I) with I=V/R, V we measured across the resistor. Once we know I, and V across the inductor, we can work out its Impenance (XL) at the AC frequency. XL=V/I.

Once we have that, we work out inductance with L=XL/(2*3.14*Hz). Hz is the AC frequency, depending on country, 50 or 60Hz.

I'm pretty sure that maths is right, someone tell me if its not. Yeah I should have spent more time playing sports as a kid!

Glenn
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:58:22 PM by gizmo »

joestue

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
i suppose it depends on why you need to know the inductance.

about the only inductance test at low current that remains accurate in real life circuit conditions is air core inductors and ferrite inductors operating at low flux.
powdered iron is always run at high flux, low permiability and high eddy current losses. about the only thing you can use an inductance meter for is figuring out what material the core is.

really its all iterative.. manufactures still provide tools that help you find the optimum core.. using "rules of thumb"