Author Topic: Are Using Monopole Towers Taboo?  (Read 39601 times)

NoSmoke

Re: Are Using Monopole Towers Taboo?
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2012, 12:37:42 AM »
Cool tower!  I'd like to see some more pics if possible, closeups maybe of the base, bow and raise/lower mechanism.

Also, what is the pole size and how much top weight does the tower support?

Thanks..

equiluxe

Re: Are Using Monopole Towers Taboo?
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
I don't really have a lot of photographs of the tower. It was something that I constructed for my father who at the time was renovating an old shepherds cottage and the power company said the only way they could connect power was to tunnel under the the runway of a military airbase as they claimed that the over head power lines that ran a mile away were of not enough capacity so the wind turbine was the lowest cost solution. At the time I owned an engineering company that among other thing's made diesel alternator sets, so it seemed logical for my father to ask me for help. As it was built fifteen years ago before the days of good digital cameras only a few photo's were taken. There are one or two some where of the foundation being built, there is nothing really special there, a 6 cubic meter hole was dug into the chalk sub soil a slab of self leveling was poured in leaving a depth of 5 feet the steel work for the mount and anchor was set up on this and leveled with the aid of wedges and a small amount of concrete poured around  each of the four feet so as when the main pour was done nothing would move, the final pour was the best part of six cubic meters of pav. 4 concrete which is the grade used for runways etc it resists cracking from frost and shocks. The tower is hinged about 3 foot up and a chain hoist is used connected to the lowes point to raise and lower the pole which mounts a Bergey 1 KW wind turbine,I no longer have the weight of the unit  but I would expect it is on the Beregey web site.