Author Topic: what I am up to...  (Read 11106 times)

DualFuel

what I am up to...
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:06 AM »

This is the original induction generator...

This is the original biodiesel battery bank charging truck. Came to me with a 327 sb V-8 but I installed a free 6.2 diesel. This truck has heated tanks and can burn any kind of flammable fuel, gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, transmission fluid, used motor oil, hydraulic fliud, Waste vegtable oil. It still runs, even after 7 years in the bush.

Here is another potential generator...

This Kubota came home from Iraq in my duffle bag...they threw it out.

Here is the back of the battery bank truck. Its piled with free wire....remember when scrap went crazy, while everybody was selling everything they could get their hands on, I set up a lawn chair at the scales and bought stuff as it came in. One thing I bought was this nifty gas cooler...

Its now cooler producer gas in my gas plant.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=buddasdad#p/u/13/NTT7fsRl6Ww

More as I post the pictures. Comments welcome.

DF

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:44:06 AM by (unknown) »

HaroldCR

Re: what I am up to...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »

Sure brings back memories of days on our farm.  You have a firm handle on what is going on in this depression, even though most folks refer to it as a "Slow Down" or recession.

Good luck in the future, and, WELCOME HOME. That's something WE never received.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:13:24 AM by HaroldCR »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Duffle bag?

I still have mine, OD green too. If I come visit, can you throw the Kubota away into my duffle bag :)?

Seriously, tho, grab the K and get it going. It'll burn well with SVO, WVO and any mix.

Those are golden!!

That gen on it looks simialr to a LEES unit 5Kw maybe?

Too bad I didn't have your email while you where on your "visit" would had you looking for the 5Kw on the Humettes

Where are you located?

Prost!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:26:39 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
DF;

Golly, duffel bags grew some since my discharge, from the Crazy Asian War huh?

I managed to return with an AK and an M-16 but they were stripped to fit "neatly".

Just turned them into liquor but they were nice souvenirs while they lasted;=>.

Looks like your project pile is well seeded. Good luck with it.

Gotta love a truck that runs on any fuel!

Always wanted to dabble in wood gas as a motor fuel as we have a large woodlot and I like doing as much on the farm as possible. Won't happen but I still can dream on it til they plant me.

Thanks for the share. And thanks for your service.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:28:18 AM by TomW »

DualFuel

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
Thanks thanks thanks,

I should add that I have been a member here since 2003. I had a few years after returning home where I just didn't have internet, nor did I want it. Now that I have high speed cable, the internet is a lot of fun. Especially for getting parts.

If you want to know where your tax dollars are going, check this out on google maps, satellite view...

That was where I was located for 10 months.

The wall to the south of that spot was where they lined up the Kubotas, Mitsubishis, and the like.

I tried every generator on the market. Kubota ROCKS! 9000hrs non-stop.

I saw every other type blow up. Lambardinis, Changfa, Lister Clones, Onan, White, and even some Russian stuff. All went blooey!

The ones that lasted were Kubota, Yanmar, Mitsubishi, Continental (vietnam era), and the giant Cummins (of course).

I had a Lister clone literally explode, showering me with cast iron shrapnel. You couldn't pay me to take one of those. I do like the Original British Listers. I found one on the FOB that powered a one bag mixer, that bugger would go all day on a quart of diesel. It had been there since the British built the place.

Anyhow, the Kubota in the picture powers the bush camp. Its turning a 6K Leroy Somer head.

My duffle bag was a 40ft shipping container. I asked every man in the unit if they wanted a generator boxed and shipped in that container. We got 12 takers. We found 12 discarded but running kubotas, Mitsubishis, or one guy just wanted a little portable thing, crated them up and shipped them home. Customs was really cool about it. They looked in every box, and I don't think they even noticed the generators, while they were looking for weapons. Christ on a crutch! Who'd want to ship weapons home when America is the last place on earth where you can go to a gun show and just legally, pick out whatever you want.

http://www.fieldlines.com/images/scimages/999/gun.JPG

This gun was found in a shower room we cleaned out.

I am grateful for the welcome home now, I wasn't when I got home. One day we were getting mortared, a week later I was changing diapers back at home, wondering why I wasn't shooting the MoFo that just cut me off. Couldn't they see I was convoying children? We hid in the bush for a couple of years. I couldn't understand anything when I got back. I have an inkling of what the guys who came home from Vietnam went through (not much mind you, just an inkling). You can't give people life and death responsibility one minute and then just dump them on the street like a discarded Walmart bag. Anyhow, enough of that.

What is going on now, is America has kicked its own ass. I have a mixed bag of emotions about that, and its open for discussion. The thing I see is that the Chinese Yuan is tied to the dollar. They have purposefully kept their money deflated against ours. We wanted cheap goods. An example, is when I started using 6.2 liter diesels, the starters cost $400 apiece at the parts store. That was the old kind that had a shunt wound direct drive motor (heavy!). I just bought a Chinese permanent magnet gear drive starter, NEW, for $87 delivered. That difference was in just 8 years. We let that happen. Is it good? A cheap starter is good for me but not for the poor clod who used to work at Dayton Engineering Laboratory Company! Those guys are doomed.

I don't think this is good for America. I think the worst is yet to come. I am not an endtimer. I don't go around chanting from Ezekiel (but I have seen a Chebar!) but I do see a problem. The US government has too many high dollar entitlement programs out there that suck up lots of revenue. Trouble is, we shipped all the taxpaying type jobs over to China, so now where does the money come from to pay for all these things? I dunno. I do know that there will have to be an adjustment. When that adjustment comes, it'll behoove me and mine to be as independent of inflationary price swings as possible.

Like Poco says, the food comes on diesel trucks. When diesel goes up, what happens to the food? Lets see...2+2=.....hmmmm.

So thats where we are at with all this "alternative energy" stuff. Its a great damper for calming the pain of inflation.

The producer gas is the ultimate end game. Solar is the answer for stationary applications but producer gas provides a home made independent fuel supply for automotive engines.

So I am in the process of working out a lot of bugs in my various producer gas enterprises. I tread dangerous ground because I come from the "gas storage" camp. Here is my historical precedent for producer gas storage.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3315550836_2fb603dfda_b.jpg

My presence here, helps prevent me from becoming a "one trick pony" obsessing on producer gas. I really need to delve into more solar applications, and wind projects.

Thanks for looking and please, by all means, comment. Its no fun living in a vacuum. I'll post more pictures as soon as I figure it out.

DF

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:06:23 PM by DualFuel »

HaroldCR

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »

I think you are right about a "Day of Reckoning". Biggest reason I moved down here. Bought 4 acres w/small house and small shop, on top of a high hill, with running spring fed creek, crossing the property. Paid 28K. Planted 1000 trees. This was 4 years ago. Trees are 3-4" dia & more.

Brought portable sawmill, wood working tools, and just got my crate today, with small winch, 24V 150 Amp Alternator, 3 APC UPS's, treadmill motor, assorted tools and accessories for building the Wind Gen and Hydro set up. Got a garden going. Built a pond to put fish in, and to use the overflow to feed the Hydro generator. (It's a big project).

Have used WVO blend in the old Land Cruiser, until others started paying big $$$ for the stuff, so, I'm gathering parts for the E-Motorcycle, and E-3Wheeler. Got Son looking for used Lithium battery packs, for the E-Motorcycle.

It's taken some doing to convince the Bride that this needs to be done. People here don't worry about anything. Today is today. Tomorrow doesn't exist.

Need to get a couple calves to raise for meat. Got Chickens. Plant some Corn and beans. Trade a little with other folks.

Life is OK, for now.  Wish my 3 offspring would wake up, before it hits the fan. ???

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:39:49 PM by HaroldCR »

motoman465

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:39:34 AM »
Very interesting post...alot of very valid points and observations!  I served in Desert Storm and I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for serving!  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:39:34 AM by motoman465 »

poco dinero

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:16 AM »
Hello DualFuel,

Great pictures!

I too am interested in producer gas, but not for mobile applications.  I'm of the opinion that if I ever need (really NEED) to make producer gas, there won't be anyplace I want to go.  Besides, under those circumstances, I wouldn't feel comfortable about leaving my wife home alone to defend the place, even though she's a better shot than I am.  You ought to see her blow the tar out of a man-shaped target with a 45 caliber Colt pistol.  At 25 yards most of them go right through the heart, or close enough.  She was scared of guns when I married her, but taking a firearms course fixed that.  Now, like fabricator, she ain't skeered of nothin'.

My interest in producer gas is for electrical power generation, as a fifth backup to my present four systems:  solar, wind, diesel-powered generator, and propane powered generator.  Gasoline generators will be pretty much useless under these circumstances because gasoline doesn't store well over long time periods.  My actual use of producer gas wouldn't start until my (large) store of diesel and propane was half depleted, and the sun and wind disappeared for at least three days.

So far I haven't done anything except collect a few bits of equipment and information.  Haven't put anything together yet.  The best information I've found so far has been "Gengassidan" at

http://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/contents.shtml

I have an infinite supply of firewood, and the thing I really like about producer gas is that the technology is so low tech.  Once you get it going, it can be maintained with practically nothing but baling wire and bubblegum.

poco

Six phases in the life of man, starting at birth:

1.  Sleeping, drinking, and pooping.

2.  Eating and guns.

3.  Rock and roll, drinking, guns, and sex.

4.  Money, drinking, guns, and sex.

5.  Drinking, money, guns and pooping.

6.  Sleeping, drinking, and pooping.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:44:16 AM by poco dinero »

freejuice

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
Hi Dual,

The blue motor lying on the ground; too the right of it... just wondering... is that Poison Ivy?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:06:03 PM by freejuice »

DualFuel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »
Ha!

It just might be. I never actually paid attention. I know something makes me scratch like hell. I always thought it was the cedar dust from the saw mill. I always wonder why the rashes go away durng the winter months but start up right after the snow goes off.

DF
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:35:08 PM by DualFuel »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
A woodgas stationary generator is my next project. I'll be looking to produce 10kw 3 phase 415v (I need 3 phase for the well pump!!)

I was inspired by this program

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmQP_ofipY

which is quite painful to watch from the presentation perspective but the pictures certainly paint a thousand words.

I'll be collecting old gas bottles, oil drums and pipe to make the producer, filters and cooler and I'm hoping that a small car engine of 30-40hp can be obtained for a reasonable cost - hopefully with a gearbox so I can ensure the engine is running well into its power band.

So far I only have an old trailer to mount it all on but at least when complete I'll be able to transport the power about the place!!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:54:02 PM by frackers »
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »
DF;

If you want a good primer for using woodgas go to this link.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/WoodgasStove.pdf

Its a very nice well though out setup.

Cheers;

Bruce S

PS At the start of Operation Dessert Shield is was working here: 24.670472 46.676426

Was the Green Market went up from a missed S..d; company brought me out before Reserves found out I was "in-country".

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:41:22 PM by Bruce S »

DualFuel

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »

Right now these hose reel sides are being used for temporary bases for the C-band satellite mounts, that were converted to solar panel mounts.
 I want to convert these to wind pumps or wind mill drives. What is the proper terminology for a wind powered shaft drive?

I am enamoured with the Waukesha. I sometimes work, for the owner, and no one else wants the oild bird. Some people get romantic about flowers, I, fantasize about 1200 cubic inches rumbling away, burning woodgas.

Planting cucumbers between the rocks.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
Sure is a beaut, Does it still run? The exhaust can also be used to extract extra heat for DHW pre-heat.

DualFuel

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
For now we get the water from this well...

We had gone out to look at the breakers...it was blowing 45s in town since last night.

Then we ran into a big jag of runga...

We had a tough time keeping ahead of the AirX today..

We washed clothes and cut wood with the Craftsman Electric Chainsaw. It was still weird to see the AirX catch up with the batteries and suddenly just stop. This was the first time I have been outside and witnessed the blades flex out due to high wind gusts. It sounds like a giant buzzing insect.

DualFuel

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
Firstly, the weather is insane...frost last night and in the 80s this afternoon. This sudden change is what I believe generates these tremendous winds we have been having. The heat drove me down to the waterhole with the intention of pumping it out. It was an epic fail. I was made frantic by literal clouds of mosquitoes. Black flies were out too. Learned that I didn't have my pipe fitting mojo with me. Learned that the pump should not reside directly over the well. Learned that the pump engine was full of water even though I just changed the oil two days ago. Learned not to check the oil while the engine is over the well. Learned that a rotted yellow birch twig is no substitute for the pump drain plug. Learned how refreshingly cold the well water is.
 Now I know what I want to do. Run a drop pipe into the well, and set the pump up, somewhere on the side of the well. I want all the piping in place be fore I ever pull the rope on the engine. I also want a priming tank and fill hose set up.
Before all that I have to take apart the pump and clean out all the sand... :( Then I better investigate the milky lube oil in the engine.... :-[

DualFuel

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »

Here is the temporary solar panel mount for GmaD's camp. She is our step mother-in-law. She is real adventurous and likes living in the bush. These two kyrocera 135watt panels have been charging two Trojan 12volt deep cycle gel cells. She has a propane frig, stove, furnace and water heater. Its all 12volt so she doesn't need an inverter. She has a Honda e3000i generator for running the air and the microwave. The place where she is at right now is temporary. I have to run the H around with the cultivator and sweep away the brush, and turn up the stones. Then I will try to make some passes with the old Auto Patrol one can see in the background. Its a 1936 Caterpillar three cylinder diesel, burning B100.
Yes, those are "C" clamps holding the panels on the steel pallets. We only paid for the panels and the clamps. The rest was salvage from the scrap yard. The mount took 15 minutes to erect. It actually took longer for her to drive into town and get the clamps. It has already survived 60mph wind gusts (thanks in no small part to the big white birch log holding down the hose-reel base.

DualFuel

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
We bought this inverter off Ebay last fall. It always gave me trouble, never worked right out of the box. I got it working for GmaD and ran some hand tools with it. We hooked it up to her gel batteries and plugged in the Bun Coffee maker. Poof! the magic smoke came hissing right out. The Bun was only rated at 1000w. I don't recomend buying this brand.
The pliers....broke when I was crimping a solderless connector. I am not anti-Chinese, (where would we be without Everstart Batteries?) but...I was foolish to purchase something from somebody whom I cannot contact on the phone, or otherwise get professional satisfaction from. This is why I only buy these types of products from dealers in America and preferably local ones. Yes it costs more, but, at least I could have heard the satisfying sound of this inverter landing on my dealer's service counter.

DualFuel

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »

The well pit.

Priming the pump.

The quintessential American pasttime, washing the truck.

Grabbing a big clue and filling a barrel so as to have water to reprime the pump next time....
Notice the pump is not right next to the well pit. No oil or gas can be spilled into the water that way. Also one doesn't drop the pipe wrenches in the well pit that way either.
We pumped it dry and started filling the pit in with rock. I think the refresh rate is faster then the Shurflo would ever keep up with.

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Hi DualFuel,
I watched all your videos up to and including the log saw.
OMG I really enjoyed watching them.
I'm no geologist but those rocks look like glacier rocks ,they look mostly rounded off, and grounded down and stuff.
The only spring water i can get comes in a bottle. :-\
That blue flame , that was from wood gas?
pretty cool

william

Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

DualFuel

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »
Thankyou, Thanks Willib,
Yes, I bought forty acres of glacial till. The water hole is in a depression filled with glacial flour. The Finlanders who first settled here, spent generations moving rocks. Its absolutly amazing the amount of rocks these people moved into fence rows and cairns. Heart breaking labor. Of course you  can hardly plant Rudabagga, Potato, or Rudabagga in these rocks. I am thinking I better not even try. I was thinking of raised beds, filled with screened soil.
Glad you liked the videos. We try to keep busy here.
DF

DualFuel

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
Last years big saviour.

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
You have enough rock to build raised beds with just the rocks. How deep are they before you hit bedrock? I have worked on rock crushers for years and they do look inviting for landscaping but that is only if there was a market for them. When a person has a place of their own there is never any real idle time. You could make an family marker with the rocks by using the outline of your family maded up the rock (statue). It would last for a century or more. We used to use a rock bucket on a loader and space the bars 4 inches apart and go thru the land and scrape the soil up and use the bucket to shake the dirt off then pile them up and either crush them or sell them for rock walls or other landscaping projects. The place I got is steep but it looks like I'm like you I throw the 4in ones back for topsoil. As long as it works. Nice pictures glad to see things take work to do but do work.
MntMnROY 13

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 02:29:48 AM »
man thats a mess of rocks to be planting in !!
back in the day when i was first starting out i worked on sod fields..we had to go in before seeding and clean the fields--all the rocks -sticks and whatever..i use to have nightmares about those fields..8 hours of  picking sticks and rocks--days on end -just about drove me over the edge.......may have? then i went in with one of those stand behind sod cutters and cut the grass into 7 foot lengths..after roll up each one onto pallets then load on a flatbed trailer.. the old man that owned the outfit gave me top dollar back then $10 bucks a hour while the rest made 8...later he broke down and bought a sod tractor that would cut the grass and roll it then spit it out  the back of the tractor where a worker would  stack it on a pallet..he  gave me the job of operating the tractor..what a  easy job compared to the old way..from then on i worked all his machines-loaders -forklifts..back then it paid off to be a hard worker...later in  life i found out being a hard worker can get knives in your back--lost a few forman jobs that way....! sorry about the rant just had to let of some steam...
WILD in ALASKA

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »
I had just the one day or so of picking flints out of a field that we wanted to let cattle into, and that was enough.

During the day I found (and lost) what I think was a genuine flint tool, eg axe-head or spear...  Maybe it another 10,000 years it'll resurface in the picked-over remains of the farmhouse!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
Every spring here it is rock picking season. Frost forces them to the surface in winter in the farm fields. As a kid it was a good money maker.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
When I was about 8 or 10?  Went to that place in Flint MI?
Found a rock hammer or 2, out on top, out in the open, obviously dug up by other tourists digging for flint.  One was a strange shapped rock, the other had channels for a wood handle.
Dad insisted we pay fot it by the pound (how they charged at the time for materials removed).

They wanted to buy them very bad.  Dad refused.
I wish I knew where they were now.  Probably in my childhood bedroom somewhere?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller