Author Topic: Laser engaving that I do on various things  (Read 6034 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Laser engaving that I do on various things
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
Recently branched out laser engraving to include gun parts. Some of the stuff I have done so far:

Mossberg 500 stock

AR-15 upper for my gun dealer

His logo on hard maple and on finished red oak

The red oak box was all laser cut and then I assembled and finished it.

18x12 inch gun cleaning mats

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Laser engaving that I do on various things
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 12:48:54 AM »
"branched out"    as in, you did the laser cutting before, and now you have the engraving capability?
Are you the artist on these patterns, too?
The pheasant design is especially good with the subtle feather textures.  Should be popular.

(Forgive me if it's not actually a pheasant but rather a partridge or other similar bird :)  I'm not an expert ).
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »
[quote author=SparWeb link=topic=147551.msg1020941#msg1020941
Are you the artist on these patterns, too?
The pheasant design is especially good with the subtle feather textures.
(Forgive me if it's not actually a pheasant but rather a partridge or other similar bird :)  I'm not an expert ).
[/quote]
 Pheasant , partridge quail or sparrow , the detail is amazing
 but looks like a pheasant to me
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
I have been laser cutting some astronomy stuff for 2 years, doing a little engraving of signs for local businesses. I didn't do the artwork, I am not that good   :P I did prep the artwork though for engraving which is rather involved. The pheasant was engraved from a photograph against a pure blue sky. I turned the blue to white to isolate the pheasant, gray scale, size it, turn it into a bitmap for the laser and resize the resolution again. Pheasant was engraved at 1,000 dots per inch.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »
I have been laser cutting some astronomy stuff for 2 years...

...feel free to elaborate on that!
(Wind turbines isn't my only hobby ;) )
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
I laser cut custom designed to your telescope bahtinov focus masks, custom eyepiece holders for the sides of dobs, laser engraved a few small scope parts and tubes...

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Oh I neeeeed one of those.  I've never heard of a bahtinof focus mask before.
I just got a T-ring to put my Nikon on my Mak Cassegrain but focusing is SOOOO difficult.  It's hard enough to focus with an eyepiece as it is.
One of those covers would help a lot.
The guy I bought the scope from didn't mention one, so I assume he doesn't have them, but I will ask anyway.
Have you ever made one for a 5" Maksutov Cassegrain?  I can measure the lens if you need me to.
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
I would need the focal length, clear aperture (probably 5 inches), and how you want it to set on the front. If you use a dew shield it can be made to be slightly larger with 4 screws around the outside edge that let it rest on the front. Or it can rest on the corrector with felt dots to keep it from scratching. So if you want it to fit on the corrector I need the ID of the tube. Otherwise I need the OD of the dew shield.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
Now that I have brought you completely off-topic...  :)   It's inappropriate to conduct business on the forum (except on the classified page).

Contact me by e-mail: s p a r w e b  at  h o t m a i l   dot  c o m

I don't have a dew shield.  I will take a look at the scope tonight (I will be out hunting for PANSTARRS!) then decide how the mask should fit on, and give you some measurements and photos.
www.sparweb.ca

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:08 AM »
Got it:

www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 03:01:52 PM »
good picture! Been clouded out here for weeks, or it has been way to cold.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Did some photobucket cleanup, all gun engraving pictures have moved to here http://s226.photobucket.com/user/maryalanab/library/Gun%20engraving

Trying to think of what to put on this now...

No it is not an evil AK-47, it is a 22lr  ;D same weight and size as an AK, they were built to use as training tools with cheaper ammo.  8)

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
Gosh.
That sure LOOKS dangerous and evil.  The vertical pistol grip makes it evil for sure?  It has a gas tube.  And an elevated front sight.  It may even have one of those dangerous knife-holder-onner-thingies?
Those dangerous knife-holder-onner-thingies have been dangerous for 400 years to the extent 'regular citizens' should not be allowed access to them?
OR: God forbid someone duct tapes a knife to a stick.

And it looks quite a bit like FEG/Hungary, or Bulgy?  Can't find it (the 22lr) in the link.

OMG!  You did that to a Hi-Point?  For practice?

I never shot a Hi-Point I did not like, regardless of the reviews, I still like them.
They are made in this area, with idle automotive industry skills, casting, machines, and labor.
Where else can a company get a degreed CNC programmer, and experience people to run the machines, for $10/H(?) with no benefits(?)?  Maybe they pay very well?  I do not know either way.
That is not a dig at you or Hi-Point.
It is an appreciation of the company who utilizes available skilled people to do a job with good equipment.
A job is a job.
An affordable piece is an affordable piece, and it is nice when they are made up the road from me.

Good work.  I enjoyed looking.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
My Hi Point is practice and a second amendment statement to piss off the liberals.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
Now that I have brought you completely off-topic...  :)   It's inappropriate to conduct business on the forum (except on the classified page).
ya don't see any of the Mods complaining :).
Besides y'all are respected posters here, not some fly by night jerk who's trying to pfliter their crapola .
JMO
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:09 PM »
Bruce, thanks for the note.  Don't let me stretch the rules too far, eh.

MaryAlana and I carried on the rest of the business by e-mail just as efficiently.  The Bahtinov mask arrived in the mail, it fits the scope like a glove, but I still haven't had a chance to use it!  Cloudy for over a week!!!
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:42 AM »
Sparweb: No worries. If there gets to be any valid complaints (zilch so far) I'll let y'all know.

I have a Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62x54, that is currently being rebuilt by our youngest son :). I'm very interested in making it a bit more "personal".
He's taken it from being a literal basket case to one beautiful rifle. Rebuilding/bluing has become a hobby of his during off hunting seasons.

MaryAlana How detailed of a scanned image or pic would you need?

Cheers
Bruce S

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
1024x768 is about the minimum and higher than that would be preferred. topic needs to be against a white background for logos etc, the pheasant I edited out blue sky with photoshop. If it has a background I can do what I did here, oval crop with a faded edge

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
Nice! Anything I send would be in B/W.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
B&W works, I have to convert to grayscale so color is fine too.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
MA, Sweet!

I have a Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62x54

Which model?
I love mine, M91 to T53.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
One limitation is 20 inches long to fit in the laser, think the mosin stock is a lot longer, I would have to run upstairs to measure my 91/30, have a Type 53 to that I love to shoot, handles a lot better than the 91/30

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
 A use of RE power like this would be just the ticket for most users . Adapting Re to household uses seems to keep us busy but to replace grid tie or or summer time dumps are on the use list now .

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
I have ran off my batteries when I had a job that I couldn't push off and the power was out. Guy was paying triple for me to do it NOW so on the inverter it went. Not something I will do a lot because it was pushing my little 1kw inverter pretty hard, have the laser power supply, water pump, blower for exhaust, and the air compressor for the laser nozzle.