Author Topic: help required  (Read 1513 times)

zoo1

help required
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:20 AM »
hi everyone!

i made my first wind turbine that have following specification with it

12 magnets N42 2*1*0.5 one side of the plate

12 magnets N42 2*1.2*0.4 other side of the rotor

3 phase, 9 coils 21# wire 135 turns of each coil, series connection

i got 24 volt but 2amps
i want to run inverter directly with this turbine by moving with my hand or padal will it possible?
how to increase the amps up to 25amp?
please give me advice for this

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: help required
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:12 AM »
No it's not possible with one man pedalling to get 25A at 24v. If you fit a series of pedals and get the whole family at it you might get somewhere.

Even then running an inverter directly from a generator without a battery in the system is fairly untried and unknown. You will probably shut the inverter down on under or over something.

Flux

zoo1

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
thanks flux

ok, i understand it. please tell me how i can increase ampere ?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:17:46 AM »
This is tricky to explain. Those type of alternator are intended for charging batteries. Once the speed is sufficient to exceed battery volts it starts to produce current. The faster you turn it the more current it produces.

Without a battery you will reach the 24v at the same speed but the current produced is a different matter, it depends on the load and if your load is an inverter then the current will depend partly on how much current the inverter will draw ( and that depends on its load). it also requires considerable speed from the alternator to provide the current through the internal resistance of the alternator.

You will probably find the whole thing unstable without the battery to buffer the load. Too slow and it will trip on low volts or it just won't supply the load. Too fast and it will trip on over volts unless your load on it matches accurately enough to maintain near 24v on the terminals.

One thing is certain, to provide 25A you will need a great deal of effort to turn it. A small wind turbine can produce several horsepower in a good wind, man will struggle to maintain 300W for any length of time.

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:37 AM »
I ask the question of Zoo1 WHY? What are your objectives?

Flux has explained the impracticality of your proposal.

allan of the jungle
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
zoo1

ive played around with pedgens for awhile...hit 400watts at 28 volts with one of my motor conversions--used a aircraft landing
light as a load-(400w-28v)...not easy to do..only lated long enough to hit 28 volts on meter...fun stuff.......
as far as hooking up a inverter to a pedgen..it dosent really work!!
you can power up the inverter--but as soon as you hook a load to it--it will shut down -low voltage shut down-
you just cant pedal fast enough to power up the inverter with a load--and if you pedal to fast you can smoke the inverter!!
you can use a motorcycle batt..to help even out your voltage going to the inveter..that works...
as far as more amperage output on your alt--i would have used at least #17 wire......
 if your star point is not buried--you could open that up--then hook up a rectifier to each phase--parele each phase
on the output--you should get at least 6 amps or more....good luck........
hiker........................................
WILD in ALASKA