Author Topic: Carving Blades V.S Buying Blades  (Read 713 times)

George Z

Carving Blades V.S Buying Blades
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
Has anyone out there purchased blades rather than carving their own? I was reading a post on thebackshed.com about the benefits of using commercially made blades. It sounds compelling to purchase the blades but build the rest.  Any thoughts or experience in purchasing out there in the group?

George Z

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: Carving Blades V.S Buying Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Only had knowledge of this manufacturer of blades.

Yangzhou shenzhou 12ft.

See forum link below.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13387.0.html
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
I found that the actual carving wasn't as hard as I thought. Laying it out was hard, at least figuring out how to lay it out was. However, my experience is limited to two sets of 1.2 meter blades.

Jonathan

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
Carve your own if you have the ability, like madlabs said the setting out is the hardest, for me great personal satisfaction in carving my own, mind you I am lazy so I use power tools powered by renewable energy of course.

Allan of the jungle
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

George Z

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, my first turbine (900mm blades) took me a great deal of time to carve the blades. I am proud of them and think they look great. I am building a bigger turbine now with 1800mm blades, I think it will take me three full days from start to finish. The labor is great but the materials are cheap. Just wondering if in the end a commercial set of blades will perform any better, or last any longer? The rest of the turbine seems incredibly robust and should stand a great length of time, blades however seem delicate and easily set off balance with snow, ice and wear (I'm guessing). Any thoughts?

George