Author Topic: Anyone have a source for EVA or uv transparent epoxy?  (Read 6048 times)

orochi8

Anyone have a source for EVA or uv transparent epoxy?
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:50 AM »
I've been looking arround and as of yet I havent been able to find a source. Eva seems to be very similar to hot melt glue, like for a glue gun, and when used in a solar cell  , often has some sort of teflon backing called tefzel. You can however, apprently find UV transparent epoxy, which is often used for PVs that are intended for aplications where durablitity is of paramount concern. I'll keep looking, and report back if I find anything, but if anyone has some leads, please make a post.

-Thanks

-Orochi

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:29:50 AM by (unknown) »

kotheinwin

Re: Anyone have a source for EVA or uv transparent epoxy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
To/ Orochi 8,

Please check Oztules posts and learn from it. EVA is very good price from China and Sly 184 is about $ 52 for 36 Solar cells with shipping in USA. I used both of them and both are fine products but the price different. They are not epoxy and they still not hard enough for cells to expend under the Sun. Some one used ARROW marine product on solar and not getting final result so we do not know how long Solar's cell can last  inside clear epoxy. EVA is big commercially use and they proved to be 30 years under the Sun and not color changed. I used clear epoxy painted on solar cells before I joined this board. I used on March and now color is yellow and all crack the epoxy under the Sun less than three months. Some product do well under the Sun but may be not for very thin solar cells.

Mg Win

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »
Some of the potting compound manufacturers have 2 and 3 part products for solar use.
It is a specialty product, often used in LDRs or solar sidewalk lights.
A majority of the compounds I found were intended for a small area (probably because they had a high percentage of shrinkage?).  A few could be used for surface areas of normal sized solar panels.

It was (probably still is) Very expensive.  More than a few hundred dollars a gallon with 2 separate containers (both Haz Mat stickered for expensive shipping).
Last time I bought something that needed shipped like that, just the S&H was ~$170 to package and ship 2 packages, each with 1 gallon of material.  That does not include the material cost.

I understand what and how you are thinking,
but
Buying generic factory made crystalline panels would be cheaper than buying cells, parts, and any the specialty epoxies I found.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:48:25 AM »
Try this
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/317352087-Solar-EVA-Film-wholesalers.html

I just bought another 60 meters for $495 AUD

Ghurd is right about buying panels if you live in the USA. I've seen $1.00/watt over there.

Here however (Australia), certified panels are at least $3.50/watt,( you can achieve the figures quoted) and the cheapies are $2.50/watt???? really ? well their 200 watt panels are more like 160 watts. (neighbor bought some 200 watters.... but we've never seen any where near that out.

My home brew ones are less than $1.00/watt, but I'm using free glass and frames (old solar hot water panels)

.............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:52:49 AM »
Saw something interesting today at HF, thought of this thread.
"Air Vacuum Pump".  #96677.  USD$15.
Powered from an air compressor, not AC electric.  It sure does not weigh much!  Feels like a plastic toy.
Box states "pulls full vacuum within 2 minutes", whatever that means.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

My HF tool experience today left a very bitter taste.  The HF tool I needed ruined more material than I saved with the junk tool.
I am not recommending the pump.
I do not know what the pump does.
$15 and 'full vacuum' caught my attention.

Ghurd is right about buying panels if you live in the USA. I've seen $1.00/watt over there.

Here however (Australia), certified panels are at least $3.50/watt,( you can achieve the figures quoted) and the cheapies are $2.50/watt???? really ? well their 200 watt panels are more like 160 watts. (neighbor bought some 200 watters.... but we've never seen any where near that out.

My home brew ones are less than $1.00/watt, but I'm using free glass and frames (old solar hot water panels)

I like the EVA economics.

I attempted to say suitable solar panel EPOXY is an overly expensive idea.
Just the S&H of two 1 gallon containers of epoxy can get a cheapie 85W panel delivered to my front porch.

Your AUD pricing is about in line with USA pricing.
80W no-name cheapie on ebay is about USD$200 with shipping.

The $1/W in the USA is deceptive, like you pointed out with cheapies.
Or an 80W cheapie is USD$0.01 + $329 S&H.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:20:48 AM »

I just bought another 60 meters for $495 AUD

How wide is the roll? 900mm?
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:40 AM »
1000mm wide 60 meters wide

..............oztules
Flinders Island Australia

Elby

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:19:06 AM »
Powered from an air compressor, not AC electric.  It sure does not weigh much!  Feels like a plastic toy.
Box states "pulls full vacuum within 2 minutes", whatever that means.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

My HF tool experience today left a very bitter taste.  The HF tool I needed ruined more material than I saved with the junk tool.
I am not recommending the pump.
I do not know what the pump does.
$15 and 'full vacuum' caught my attention.

Those work off of a Venturi. While you can pull decent vacuum with them, you'll need a manly air compressor to get it done. I have used them for A/C work by pulling a vacuum untill I ran out of air, then shut the valves on the gauge set, turn off the Vacuum pump and let the air pressure build back up, repeat. You'll get there eventually.
I don't think it's good for this application due to the need for continual operation unless you can supply the airflow at pressure required to operate it.

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
DOW CORNING® PV-6010 CELL ENCAPSULANT KIT

DOW CORNING CORPORATION
CORPORATE CENTER
PO BOX 994
MIDLAND MI 48686-0994
UNITED STATES

Direct Dial: 989-496-7875
Toll Free: 1-800-248-2481

eBay search for "solar encapsulant"
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=solar+cell+encapsulant&_sacat=0&_odkw=dow+6010&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »

Those work off of a Venturi. While you can pull decent vacuum with them, you'll need a manly air compressor to get it done. I have used them for A/C work by pulling a vacuum untill I ran out of air, then shut the valves on the gauge set, turn off the Vacuum pump and let the air pressure build back up, repeat. You'll get there eventually.
I don't think it's good for this application due to the need for continual operation unless you can supply the airflow at pressure required to operate it.

What if you put a regulator on the line from the pump first?  Slow down the flow to a rate the air compressor can supply, while still enough to operate the venturi?  Or does the venturi require basically unrestricted flow to work at all?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca