Author Topic: Newbie finally up and spinning. Thanks for help.  (Read 1998 times)

briggsy

Newbie finally up and spinning. Thanks for help.
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
Hi all,
       Having been a reader and occassional poster for almost a year I thought I'd share my excitement. As of a few weeks ago I finally have my 2kw chinese turbine up and running. It's been an adventure, with concrete trucks sinking up to their axles, turbine mounts not matching towers, non existent instructions and various other adventures. I couldn't have done it without the advice and help from other posters, so thanks jarrod, piglet, joestue and especially Rob Beckers for that MPPT table and advice.

The first week there was no wind. The blades barely turned. Then a week ago Aeolus looked our way (I'm in Victoria. Southern Australia) and the new toy got a serious work out. It's a 2kw, 3.2m blades on a 12m tower and I'm close to the coast.
I was excited enough when the output was 8 kw/hrs for the day, but then it peaked at 20kw/hrs for another day, then yesterday I got 35 kw/hrs. Yes, it was very windy(and nervewracking) I don't think I'll break that record for quite some time.

I know it's early days yet, and the average wind will be less but what a way to start my first wind turbine adventure.
Thanks again for the help.

Briggsy

DamonHD: Edit: attempting to fix photos...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:27:39 PM by DamonHD »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Newbie finally up and spinning. Thanks for help.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:07 AM »
Sounds like another Exmork in the air.  I"ve noticed many going up over the past year or so, meaning you have company here.

"turbine mounts not matching towers"  I've heard that before!

Good luck.

Now you know what it's like to have a 50-foot tall living breathing beast in your backyard.   :D
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

SnowGhost

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »
Where abouts are you briggsy?  I'd be interested in coming and having a look and a chat with you.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:31:54 AM »
Congrats!
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
Congrat's Briggsy!, and darn nice photo too.

Your delving into the Abridged Murphy's Laws for Wind.  One of them clearly says it will always blow like hell - like when you're putting it up - until you want to test the thing; then you have to wait some...some more.

I once showed up to install a turbine at a site with an Rohn SSV.  Everything was there.  One giant errector set.  The anchors were also in, which I thought was a real benefit, until we noticed they were turned 45 degs from were they would have worked.

I'd be interested in the link to the MPPT table you referred to if it is available.

Best of luck,

~kitestrings

briggsy

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
Snowgum and Kitestrings. I've sent PM's to you both.

Wouldn't you know it, since my seriously windy day it's been dead calm.
The "beast" in the back yard is having a well deserved rest and the swallows are using it as a perch.

briggsy