Author Topic: Has this been done already?  (Read 2269 times)

DualFuel

Has this been done already?
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
This question has been bothering my for some time now.
Has anyone transmitted the three phase from a 10SI (or a Delcotron) long distance, then converted it to DC?

So far I have only transimitted the DC power from a 10SI long distance. Its a PITA because one has to spoof the regulator by adding a resistor to the "sense" wire, inorder to over come the voltage drop.

My new plan is to disconnect the stator at the rectifier bridge here...

Then run three wires down to another 10SI and attach the three phase to that rectifier bridge.
The problem as I see it, appears to be the same problem with sending DC, namely getting the regulator, the correct voltage signal. It might take five wires. Three for the three phase and two for the regulator. Seeing as the field is at one end and the regulator is at the other.
Has this been done somewhere here already?

hydrosun

Re: Has this been done already?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:58:14 PM »
I'm not sure how you are moving the alternator. On hydro systems the regulator was by passed and a rheostat used to feed the rotor the right amount of current. Then the three phase can be rectified wherever you want. The batteries were voltage controlled with a diversion load.
chris

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
I'm not sure what you are trying to do either.

Now it sounds like you want to use the voltage regulator far away from the alternator?
It could be made to work.  I don't think it is a great idea.

The field uses 4A?  And that pretty much comes from the battery.  4A efficiently carried in the ($$$) 4th and 5th wires.

The automotive regulator is single stage.
I have nothing at all against single stage charge control, usually.
This may be different.
Hydro is 24/7.  (????)
If the battery is large enough for rule of thumb standards, and the daily loads are mostly in 8 hours (8 hours at work, and 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours to use power),
then a very large portion of the time, the battery would benefit greatly from 3 stage charging.

Plus that waste of amps in the field coils 24/7.
If the batterty is not up to regulation voltage (when the power is needed most), it wastes enough power to operate my microwave for an hour and a half a day.

Hydro?  I can't find where you say it IS hydro, though my brain keeps going back to hydro, even before Chris posted.

It will not work with an Air-X.

How are you spinning the thing?
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

DualFuel

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Thank you for the replies!
I appreciate youse taking the time to respond.

I can spin the alternator with an engine. No hydro.

I can envision two scenarios for this type of set up. Firstly, the engine and alternator are sending power down the hill to the water pump (the 12volt Shurflo). In this case, no battery. The scecond scenario, has the engine an alternator in its shed sending power to the other buildings sans noise.
The 10SI is many things, so is the Delcotron. Often they were converted to 120volts with wild AC, OR 120volts DC. The idea that captivates me is sending the three phase long distance.
Wire isn't a constraint.
I like the rheostat idea. Prolly need a CB or a cell phone to set it properly.
Yes, my first thought would be to let the recieving end do the regulation.
In some respects, effciency gets thrown out the window. Often times, other constraints become the limiting factor. If a woman wants to take a bath, does she care where the hot water comes from? If there is vacuuming to be done, it never matters how effcient the power production is, just that the floor looks good when finished. I degress.

The constraints on this idea include: the alternator is spinning, plenty of wire, would like to use only the parts from a 10SI or Delcotron.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
I don't think we have enough informatiom about what you have and what you want to do..

In this case, no battery.

The idea that captivates me is sending the three phase long distance.

Wire isn't a constraint.

Yes, my first thought would be to let the recieving end do the regulation.
would like to use only the parts from a 10SI or Delcotron.

No Battery.  Not a great idea.  It voids the warranty with many car alts.  It can not be good for the others.
There can be other issues, which you are already aware of.

DC vs 3-ph.
No gain in that concept for normal people with real systems.  The concept is perpetuated by snake-oil salesman.  The math can be valid, but the constraints are not.
Look for data from somewhere that is NOT selling a 3-ph PMA (and also claiming 3-ph transmission is better).

"would like to only the parts from a 10SI"?
Spend $100 to save $1?

"In some respects, effciency gets thrown out the window"
I know exactly what you mean.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

David HK

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
What is a 1S01 ?

How long is 'long distance' ?

This URL may be of some interest to you.

http://homepower.com/files/webextras/mark8.pdf

Regret i cannot help more.

David in HK

DualFuel

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »
Thanks Ghurd, and David,
 I can't thank you enough for responding to this thread. I really am glad I posted this in the "Newbie" column. It appears that, although I am a capable repair technician when it comes to refurbishing my Delco 10SI and Delcotron alternators....I had too many holes in my thinking about how they operated.

I was going to spin one up, and let the three phase voltage climb up to high enough levels, overcoming the voltage drop in the wire. The plan falls flat at the recieving end. No transformer. I would have to transform the voltage back down to something that the regulator could figure out what to do with. So the engine/altenator would create three phase wild AC at one end then send it to the other alternator at the other end, BUT, with no transformer there'd be no way to make this workable.
 Sometimes I guess I just need to spew out some idea and get out in the open to be examined.

BTW, I wouldn't have bought any alternators. I have piles and piles of them. I am one of those contraians, who wait at the scales and buy scrap wire, alternators, and it would appear I am now looking for transformers too.

David, that was a good article. I do need to tackle those regulators. I have seen what the author described many times. A supposed 33amp (@14.7volt) 10SI will stall a 10 hp snowblower engine.  Thanks again.