Author Topic: One point one watt SMD 120v light  (Read 881 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
One point one watt SMD 120v light
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
I bought 2 of these from Walgreens when I was there shopping for something else. Walgreens has a rather varied selection of cfls and led home lights now.

These were intended to replace incandescent candelabra lamps. I paid $9 each. They have 3 sets of 6 surface mount leds and claim 70 lumens at 1.1 watts.

This was shot at night with no flash. Both of these were on above the bathroom sink with candelabra to Edison adapters I already had. They do not come with adapters.

They get varying reviews on Amazon. Some say they do not last the rated 20k hour life. Others the ads lied about the number of leds. My package said 18 and that's what I got.
Some said they do exactly as advertised. 64 lumens per watt is a respectable output. Candelabra incandescent lights are typically very inefficient.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:31:28 PM by dnix71 »

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
Re: One point one watt SMD 120v light
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
I've tested a number of different led lights the last couple of years, both for 12V and 230V, and my conclusion are that the most important thing are that the leds should be driven with a current limited circuit.
This is specially important for leds connected to a battery with solar/wind as a charging source. I've had smd led lights with 3 leds in series with a resistor, and when outside temperature where my battery are drops below -10 to -15, the bulk charge are easily over 15V, and some of those leds got so hot that the solder melted, and the smd leds just dropped off... ;D

I've now replaced all of those led lights with series resistor with led lights with current limiter circuit built in, and most of the lights are above 65lumens/watt; the best one @ 90l/W... :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:17:42 AM by Simen »
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

Slingshot

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »
Dnix,

Do you really keep an AC heater sitting on the window ledge in your shower?

;D

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
Yeah, I have no apt heater, so in the winter I plug it in by the counter if it's cold enough and I want to use the loo. I have a heated pad for sleeping on.

My apt is small and cluttered so some things are just put out of the way until they are needed. Most times it's just hot and humid here in south Florida.

I can't be married. No woman would put up with the way this place is arranged.