Product Reviews > Reviews

Leasing solar panels

<< < (2/4) > >>

oztules:
I dont support your idea on this at all. As I read it, the poster didn't mention battery backup.

This is an overpriced kit here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Kilowatt-Solar-Panel-System-5kw-Inverter-Grid-Tie-/190551650774?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item2c5dc371d6

It has all the paperwork needed to claim rebates and recs (clean energy council red tape and australian standards). $14400 is 5kw with everything except the bloke to put it in.

An installer will cost $1500, government rebates will be about $6000... so about $10000 for 5kw properly installed, with all the accreditation and red tape sorted out

. ... 40 grand buys you a big system... not a little 7kw system

and thats in this badly run country with the worst government in history....... Surely you must be able to do better over there.

In Tasmania, 4kw is the limit without special consideration from Hydro Tasmania.

................oztules

Lo_Volt:
The $40k was installed with inverter and racking on the ground.  It would be cheaper if I could use roof mounts but, my house can't handle it.  $40k would not include backup batteries. 

Indeed, the thing that really had me suspicious was the short warranty.  The panels are covered for the full 20 years, but the inverter and everything else is only 5 years.  I'd have to pay for a warranty on that and I got no up front quote on the cost of additional coverage. 

As for 7kW for $14k, sure I can buy the panels at that price, I certainly can't buy an installed system for that price.  Not here in the US. 

If I wasn't so busy I'd do it myself.  I figure a little over $20k gets me all the materials for a ground mount system.  I'm not real thrilled about paying an extra $20k to an installer who may or may not do it the way I want. 

DanG:
http://solar.coolerplanet.com/Articles/solar-calculator.aspx

and add...

Renewable energy credits (RECs) provide another potential stream of revenue for owners
of systems that generate electricity with renewable resources. In many areas of the United
States, RECs are bought and sold as a commodity, commonly either to fulfill a utility's RPS
requirements or be repackaged as “green power” and sold under a voluntary program.
Utilities should not be permitted to seize RECs from system owners without paying the
market price for them.

FreeingTheGrid2008_report.pdf

jvnn:
I'm grave digging this old thread because for me this lease looks like a no brainer.
I will get another $350 discount that's not mentioned because the person who refers me will give me the referral fee less his income tax hit.

So what I'm looking at is a 20 year lease of 2.4 kW installed for a prepay of $3170.

Includes:
-Output performance guarantee
-Any repairs needed done by them - they expect to replace the inverter after 10 years
-They monitor it and I have a web link to monitor also
- Insurance for damage to system as well as damage to my house, liability ($2M) etc
-They pay to remove and reinstall when I need to re-roof
-They do all the paperwork, install etc etc
-After 20 years option to extend lease or they pay to remove system.

To come up with my savings/return on investment their assumption is that power cost increases by 5% per year.
Under this assumption, I make back my prepay from reduced utility bills in the first 10 years...
Where else can I get 11% return with the crooks on wall street stealing anything they get their hands on?

Obviously - I won't own the equipment, but this is an installed system with lots of down the road service benefits for scarcely more than the panel cost alone.
Can anybody point out the  problems here?

dnix71:
The problem is the payback is 10 years. It might be shorter where you live if you buy.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/3/prweb9282391.htm

The other down side to a lease is the tax angle, which I am unable to calculate here. If you own, then the system could be sold with the home (as it should, this isn't a portable appliance - there are holes in the roof and alterations to the wiring done by permit). If you own, the capital cost can be written off on your income tax, but your house assessed value and taxes may also rise.

Not installing solar in this day and age is the only stupid option. Either lease or purchase, you make money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version