Author Topic: anyone have a large, pole mounted array?  (Read 2532 times)

defed

anyone have a large, pole mounted array?
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »
i have (10) panels, 31" x 62" @ 35lbs, that i want to mount on a pole. i've seen HUGE (18 - 175w panels on one pole) pole mounted arrays while scouring the net, but would like to get 1st hand knowledge if anyone here has a large array on a single pole.

i was debating a modified ground mount w/ more posts like this:

http://www.solarpowerforum.net/forumVB/33724-post29.html

it would be easier to make with smaller material and less concrete per post and would be easier to expand by just extending it.

a single pole would be more convenient for mowing, would look cleaner, but would require a large pole and a big chunk of concrete.

i could also do multiple poles, 6-8 on one with the rest on another (which could be built to accept an equal # in the future).

appreciate any and all pics, ideas, etc
thanks.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:37:42 PM by DanG »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: anyone have a large, pole mounted array?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:04:03 AM »
Wood warp is a glass killer - that installation may be resistant, no clue without being there, but not tying metal in too tightly sort of defeats the purpose. And any manly sized bank, as shown in the linked picture, is a huge sail area to catch wind should a gust get underneath it. With that much square footage the force could jump into of tons of potion of motion to exploit the wink links...

RossW here made a 'traxle' - long horizontal pipe a row of panels teeter on to track that may have a good application, its similar to racking used in long rows of the huge solar farms found in the the US Southwest desert.

defed

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »
i did make my small, temporary, ground rack out of wood, and i did worry about warp, but so far so good.

if i was to make something similar to the one linked, there would be no wood.  i was just using that as an example of a 'non-single post' setup.  i really would prefer a single post, but it just  takes so much concrete for one hole...2-3 yds is too much to mix myself for one pour.

i found a chart for 'recommended foundation size' for certain square foot of panel.  90sq ft of panel they say 48-60" deep x 24-30" wide (square?).....that seems like nowhere near enough to me!  i can only get 4' deep due to high water table.

i did a forum search for rossw and traxle, nothing much found...i'll try a search around the net.

roosaw

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »
I am thinking of building a copy of the "solar stlk" for my sailboat.  You can google it.  I did some back of the envelope wind loading and at 60 MPH and two 3'x3' panels you get something like a thousand pounds of force if the panels perpendicular to the wind.  The pole I intend to use is schedual 40 6" PVC.  It is rust and warp proof, easy to work with and cheap.
FWIW
Leadership must be taken, it cannot be given