Author Topic: UPDATED LISTER 6/1  (Read 3691 times)

Yianie123.

UPDATED LISTER 6/1
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
Please forgive me but it's been a long time since I have been on this website.  I am looking for updated information on where to find a Lister 6/1engine.  I live in Valparaiso, Indiana 50miles East of Chicago. I do know about the engines in India but it seems that everyone wants $15-$3000 for Lister and It just seems to be too much. All assistance will be greatly appreciated thank you

wdyasq

Re: UPDATED LISTER 6/1
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 06:45:56 PM »
Not to discourage one on a mission to have an old style One Lung Diesel but ....

That engine was designed before 1927, IIRC. There have been a few improvements in engine design, efficiency and metallurgy since the Model T Ford went out of production.

While I am a big fan of the large slow diesel, I am also a big fan of the modern, high-speed small diesel. Used engines out of Japan are available, light, efficient, have real oil filtering systems and use modern, available wrenches and modern available fasteners. Many will last over 30,000 hours in over the road refrigeration systems being spun a lot higher than 800-1200 rpm.

If one chose to lower the operating speed, they would want to be sure the engine is properly loaded for the speed they are wanting to run and extracting the power they desire.

Personally, I'd build a unit with a 'bypass filtering system', very large air-filters and super filter the fuel. I think with these additions, a modern diesel could be run well over 100,000 hours with little or no problems related to the actual mechanical parts of the engine. One would still need to remember cooling problems are the most common problem of any Internal Combustion Engine.

Ron
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Yianie123.

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
Ron thank you for your reply. I think my goal is to have an antique diesel engine that is very simple to work on, very efficient and would last a very very long time.  The beauty of the 6/1 is its simplicity.  I have a  diesel generator right now, Apollo's 6500 generator and it does run at 3600 RPM.   High tech, and there is nothing simple, or beautiful about it.   If you find know anywhere I can find an Lister engine please tell me.   Thank you.

wilfor03

• USA: Union Grove, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
Yianie123...
Just did a Google search for Lister 6/1 and came up with a lot of info. One in particular http://diesel-electric.us/cs_clones.htm ......has a good bit of dynamite info there and the prices don't seem to bad. Might want to check it out......Good Luck!!
Bill

Yianie123.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
Thank you very mush for the info.  Maybe my expectations are too high but it seems that $1300 is too much for the stripped engine.  Add another $300 for shipping another $400 for a generator head, $300 for a frame and it adds up to a retirement plan ($2300). That does not include a radiator, water pump, electric start, or large full tank.   It just seems too much, but maybe it's just me.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
The lister-petter engine was popular on those message-board signs that point you into another lane on the highway, before they all went solar.   I picked a crashed light board (hit by car) and got an excellent 1500 hr Lombardini diesel for my project, 400 turtlebucks, from this site

http://www.govdeals.com/

This is an example, albeit solar  http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=70&acctid=2791

The Listers are few and far between, but they are still out there. 

Might wanna check around some municipalities to see if they wanna sell; generally they get a fancy new solar board and the old reliable gets parked in the weeds.  Up where you live there's probably a dozen languishing in service yards within an hour's drive

It will take some searching and due diligence on your part

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Revolutionary

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »
Yianie-
I have had two Listers, a 6/1 & now a 16/1. They are excellent machines, IMO.
 The 16/1 is one that I bought from a great guy in Montana. It had been in a house fire, and everything on it that wasn;t cast was destroyed in the fire. It took me a long time to come up with all the parts, but I did, and now it runs both a 12KW ST Generator & a MARS (ETek) Motor as a generator.
Yuo can find them sometimes on craigslist, and other times on Ebay. If you do get one, and you can;t find parts, you can order them form India & they will send them. I needed a new crank on my Lister, and bought one from Inidai. The shipping was more than the crankshaft.....
 Hope it helps-
Chris