Author Topic: After market non reflective film  (Read 2510 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
After market non reflective film
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
Has anyone here used Vikuiti 3M film to improve collection efficiency on cheaper solar panels? I have noticed on thin partially overcast days (even in south Florida heat) the output from my panels going over spec if the clouds were right. In my case almost 40 amps in when no more than 30 would be expected.

An after market film that was designed to capture and pass off-angle light might pay for itself without burning spots in the panel like a conventional concentrator would, and eliminate the need for a tracker.

Harold in CR

Re: After market non reflective film
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »

This looks interesting. Down here, as in right now, it's raining. In less than 10 minutes, the rain should stop and just be cloudy-partly cloudy. Might get full sun, might not, but, the sky will lighten up a LOT.

If this film can cut heat on the glass, but allow more useful light to enhance cloudy day output of panels, I'm all ears to see what benefit it will offer.

Also, the film might just help prevent some damage to the glass, and, with all our part rainy days, might just help wash off and dust-debris that settles on the glass. I have to use window glass for my panels.

I went to their website, but, can't quite understand what this stuff actually does. I see it is used for Projection screening, and, allows the WHOLE face of the screen to be viewed from any reasonable angle.

Going to town TOMORROW, to get the first sheet and frame.

bj

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
   Caught my attention as well.  Website wasn't all that helpful, or maybe just waaaay over my head.   Worth keeping close tabs
on this one I think.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
To me, it looks like it is a diffuser film.
If it is diffusing the light, then it is absorbing some light, which will not make it to the PV.
I bet a quarter it reduces the daily output.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Rover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
Think I'm gonna mount some panels witjh film and without film inside my attic . I'm guessing there will be no change... :)

Just to win a quarter from Ghurd.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
The non-technical explanation for how it works is this: Every material that can pass light has an index of refraction. Think circuit impedance. If two circuits are connected and the impedance doesn't match part of the signal gets reflected. Light going through the air into a panel must first pass glass and then layers of silicon crystal. There are non-reflective coatings already in use on silicon solar crystals, but not the glass.

Non-reflective coatings act as a transition layer between materials with differing indexes of refraction. You can't wipe one one with a cloth because they have to be 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength thick to work properly and must be uniform thickness to work as well.

The problem I see with Vikuiti is cost. You can get free samples if you are a prospective buyer, but sheets of the stuff are not cheap if you have to pay for them.

One-way security glass is what I'm trying to make. The light can pass in clearly but not go back.

Harold in CR

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »

Does this stuff come as a roll, or, is it sheets, like lexan ??  Got any idea on price?? I might go in on a minimum order, if it's not too expensive.