Author Topic: Adding hand pump to existing well  (Read 15688 times)

machinemaker

Adding hand pump to existing well
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
We want to add a hand pump to our existing well for emergency preparedness. We have two wells close to the house, one is newer and we use with a submersible pump and an older one that has a very old piston pump in our basement, both work now. We have no history or background on the wells, we move here 4 months ago. Both wells have underground piping into the basement which is about  5 feet below the ground level. The newer well is 8 feet out side the basement wall, the water surface is 14 feet from the surface and total depth is 38 feet. the older well is probably a 20 foot horizontal pipe run into the basement the water level is 14 feet from the surface and I could not drop a weight on a string much past 15 feet, so I am not sure if it just 15' deep or not. Since we live in an area with freezing winters I want to put a hand pump in our basement, preferabley on the newer well. If I use some valves and check valves to isolate the hand pump from the existing pressure tank do you think that I could use the pipe from the submersible pump? My thought is that it is probably not a positive displacement pump and that I should be able to draw water through the pump. I would doubt that there is a check valve on the pump intake since it is flooded at the bottom of the well. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
kent

bj

Re: Adding hand pump to existing well
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
  Probably work.  Under ideal conditions you can suck up water about 28 ft at sea level. Any air leaks above the water line
will severely compromise this though.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

madlabs

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
Not a plumber and don't even play one on TV. I have worked with hand pumps though, and my guess is that it won't work well through the sumbmersible pump. A second pipe down the well, a little less deep than the submersible sounds better to me. Sounds like the way it comes into your basemment might make that a PITA. I wouldn't drink from the shallow well unless I had it tested.

Jonathan

machinemaker

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
madlabs, yea that is a concern I had too. just hated to have to dig down to where the water line come through the basement wall and  into the well casing. Probably digging a trench and a second line would work better. Thanks for the input.
kent

Isaiah

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
The submersible pump pumps are in a 4'' or larger pipe.the top should be sticking up out in your yard somewhere.
 what you can do is get you some 3/4 or 1'' pvc pipe and a foot valve for it and a tee and a hose connecter for the top and put it together so it is long enough so the foot valve is in water good.  you can even make a hook and hang it inside your well when not in use. by working this up and down it will bring water up out of most any well. while not the most efficient it would be better than nothing.
You could even rig up some pipe reducers and put a hand picture pump on this pvc drop pipe.
What ever you do dont drop it down the well.
 on  another thought it might not be a bad idea to build a out house that could be placed over your existing septic tank clean out hole  , so if things go down pull the clean out cover and your in business with the outhouse
 Isaiah

kurt

• website
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »

Isaiah

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »

http://www.bisonpumps.com/

looks nice but are pricey, a lot of us cant afford that price.
 Thank you for the info , I will pass it on to my list
Isaiah

Airstream

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
I will pass it on to my list

Wow.

Look at their parts list diagram. They show you what you need to know to make a quick PVC or ABS pipe copy - some stainless rod, some sheet silicone and a selection of pipe, nylon block and fittings and the pump section is made to connect to your choice of handle & spigot. Might not withstand years of service but sure would water dogs or draw up jerry cans worth every other day for a spell.

I've seen similar hand pumps used for everything from vacuuming gravel and sand from crevices for prospecting to making a jet pump - suckers to blast debris from drain lines. Just have a fail-proof check valve to prevent any chance of contaminating the well bore with something...

machinemaker

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
The pumps are not that high tech, I could go out to the shop and turn down a cylinder and fabricate the rest. However, the local Amish store has cast iron pitcher pumps for $49.99 I am sure they are a northern tool / made in china knock off, but it is hard to make anything for fifty bucks. Also without any shipping that looks even better. I have though of driving a well down by our garden and doing the same thing. AAAAHHHHH too many things on my to do list already.
kent