Author Topic: Ink jet printed PCB  (Read 3101 times)

Rover

Ink jet printed PCB
« on: September 17, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
I'm thinking of moving away from my typical nightmarish proto boards to etched boards.

After doing some searching etc, has anyone tried the inkjet solutions that use the printers with a CD tray for direct printing onto a board followed by etch? (I happen to have a printer that will work)

example:

http://www.fullspectrumengineering.com/pcbinkjet.html

just curious

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

BrianSmith

Re: Ink jet printed PCB
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
Download Eagle freeware from cadsoftusa.com and then order one from www.batchpcb.com.  They will build boards for 2.50 per inch (2 layer with silkscreen) and $10 setup. For onesy-twosy protos they are pretty cheap and easy.  I am not affiliated with eagle or batchpcb.com. 

Just my two cents.. Good Luck

Rover

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
I have used eagle , but would rather etch my own boards (will probably still use eagle for design). I'm thinking that once setup.... be cheaper than sending them off.

Besides there is the fun factor.... :)
Rover

Tritium

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
I am using Pulsar Professional PCB "Fab in a Box". It works pretty well for masking boards for etching.  For an easy 5 minute etch solution use 1 part muratic (pool) acid and 2 parts 3% peroxide. Agitate continuously.

Thurmond

Rover

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
Thanks, but that is a laser printer solution, and I have tried a few. I'm looking for a non transfer solution.

Grin, I'm inclined to try the kit fo inkjet... direct print on to copper clad boards.

I was lookng for anyone who had tried it...

Rover

ruddycrazy

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
G'day Rover,
                  Well after our chat in IRC I thought I would my thought's here. I have tried to use an inkjet for toner transfer but it refused to stick to the pcb board. Then I tried the inkjet for printing onto a transparency but the ink just wouldn't stick. I do know one can buy expensive transparencies for use with an inkjet but thats out of my realm of doing homebrew pcb's on the cheap.

I have read on the net by using a laser printer onto glossy magazine paper works a treat and using the iron on method. Guy's have modified laminating machines for toner transfer and by far if doing double sided boards that is the way to go. In order to do a double sided board on the circuit make 4 pads on each side of the board then use a pin to make a small hole in each hole. Put the 2 pcb toner designs together then taped them up into a pocket. Slip the double sided pcb inside for a snug fit then after several pass's each side thru the said laminator the pcb should be ready for etching.   

I do have a heap of UV resist boards but I do find the laser printout on transparencies the image isn't dark enough so I need to do 2 printouts then lay them over the top, but the results still haven't been purfect. I have done a pcb board to suit a 64 tqfp smd chip using the iron on method successfully but as I haven't finished my laminator project double sided boards are out for now.

Honestly go find some decent glossy paper and use a laser printer then use the iron on method and I'm sure you will be amazed at the results.

Now for PCB design software I use Sprint Layout and it is a simple case of making tracks to suit your circuit. Eagle might be good for sum but for a newbie just wanting to make PCB's and not wanting the huge learning curve of Eagle, Sprint Layout is a good alternative.

Regards Bryan

Rover

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Hey Ruddy,

I have no doubt the transfer method works, and i have used it  ( OK twice , since my laser is at work and its PITA to design stuff, and print at the office) .

I'm interested in this idea.. which apparently isn't  new, for those of us that have printers with CD trays to print on CD's . I'm probably ... (OK nix that that ) I will try it out  as printing directly on the board before etching.... makes sense.

Guess/Jes.. I as looking for anyone who had uses the direct method, with the appropriate inks.... to print directly on the PCB before etching  .....

Guess I'm gonna be a guinea pig on this one.

Rover

ruddycrazy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:37:41 AM »
MMMMMMMM a guinea pig called Rover thats a new one