Author Topic: DC controler...mortor not genn  (Read 3289 times)

A6D9

DC controler...mortor not genn
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »
ok 1st thing is 1st.

This has got to be the best site for such a wealth of information.

I'm big into reading about renewable energie and when the funds become available I plan on building a hydro set up and wind and solar to meet my needs.

the main reason why i bought my home and property was for it;s location to have all 3 of those available on site.

but this is besides the point..I have a treadmill motor. 

says it is PM
2HP

Says 130 Volt DC and 90 Volts DV,.  I'd assume this is some sort of standard motor for treadmill.

I need to find a way to be able to use it as a motor with speed control.

What I would like to have is some sort of a dimmer switch to get the motor to run as a motor at very low speeds all the way up to full speed.  or rather max speed of say 500 RPM

is that possible and anyone know approx how much torque these motors put out?  all i need to know is that it is at the very least 30 in-lbs.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: DC controler...mortor not genn
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »
Any form of speed control will vary the armature volts. You can use a dimmer control with rectifier and possibly get away with it or you can use a pwm or phase controller specifically designed for motors.

The torque will be set by the armature current limit of the motor without overheating so the power will fall with speed.

You can calculate the full load torque from the hp and speed ratings of the motor to see if it will do what you want.

HP = 2(pi) N T/33000

T is torque in lb-ft
N is speed in rpm

At 90v a mosfet pwm controller will probably be the nicest option but a thyristor phase control will also do the job fine.

hope this helps

Flux

Rover

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
As I'm not sure about whether you want to power from a DC source or AC source base d on your topic and post. There is a bunch of DC motor controllers available on EBay (basically, household AC, to DC with variable speed) . I bought one last year to run my 2.5 HP 2400 rpm 90VDC Baldor motor.  Just find one with specs that are within your range (may take a little research).

At 2hp , thats a big motor to run from a 110 AC supply at full tilt. But with the variable speed you can run at lower RPM.. etc. The one I bought, I forget the model, has a bunch of settings that allow it to be used at different voltages etc.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

A6D9

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
Ok i am very thankful for all the info you have provided.

I'm not going to lie i ahve no idea what you all just said tho.

I'm mecanical smart not electrical.

here is what i have in mind.  it's an old treadmill motor.

i need to be able to run it froma  dead stop to full speed with soem sort of dimmer switch.  yes i forgot to mention it will be pluged into an AC outlet in my home.

I'm guessing it'll never be at full speed as at that speed it'll give me 50 cycles a second  approx   and they say tha max you should use is 250 per minute..so I'll never drive it full speed.

but I'd like to be able to go 300-350 if needed.  just to show off and say i have the better unit..lol

does that make any better sence?  does anyone have a link for an example of what I"m looking for on ebay..

i was thinking of those harbor freight router controllers as they are both ac/dc and have the swicthign i need.

but then I have to find a way to get DC from my AC  witch could be do0ne with a rectifier  but i duno if the rectfier would go before or after the dimmer switch.  or anyone know of a ready made setup?

thank you all again for the great help.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
A lot of motor controls are intended for ac universal motors and these are basically series motors designed to run on ac. This type of controller is not suitable for a permanent magnet dc motor.

You need one with dc output. Sorry I can't give you any links to commercial controllers, I hope someone else can, just make sure it uses ac mains in and is suitable for a dc motor on the output.

Flux

Rover

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »
Echoing what Flux just said... An AC motor controller is a NO GO, so is a Rheostat by itself.

Using the specs for your motor... Do a search on eBay for treadmill motor controller, or DC motor controller ...

The will typically have a voltage range (0-90VDC) for instance... which ends up being the speed variation. A lot take an AC input

Rover

A6D9

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
ok i think i understand a bit more of it..thank yuo all again.  I"ll see what i can find on ebay...and show you all to see if it'll work.

if it's made to go i think 3 000 or 3500 rpm  and i only want a max speed of 500 rpm...and the voltagefor the 3k and 3.5k rpm is 130 volts.  could i not take the max rpm possible in relation to the max volts and go with my max rpm to use and find a controller that won;t have such a range of 0v-130v?  so maybe have it only go from 0 to say maybe 30V?

or am i not thinkign right?

A6D9

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
ok wow...i still need to learn allot..lol

but i think i found what i want.

http://www.dhgate.com/5pcs-lot-a126-hx-pwm-pwm-dc-motor-speed-controller/p-ff80808131ae191e0131b7d667fb4c94.html

does that look right?

from my reading it apears i want a pwm as well since it'll put out max ( or close to it) at slower speeds.  is this correct assumption?

i've seen a few online that have a preset max speed output with a pot on the inside of the box with on the remote it has a dial to adjust.

so since i assume my machine will only need say 50 volts....if i got one that was capable of say 100 and i set that max to 50...would the dial then go from min say 1 volt to max 50 volt?  or would the dial still go to 100 volts just the internals will limit it to the 50.

what I'm worried about is if the dial keeps it max = 100 and that leaves me with only a 1/4 turn on the dial to get my max of 350 rpm...  and I'd like if possible to have more fine tunning ability?

does that make sence?  again thank you all for the great information and helping.

Rover

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:34:56 AM »
That unit has a max output of 4A which is too low for a 2hp motor with your specs

What you are looking for is something like this http://www.dartcontrols.com/product-guide/analog-dc-speed-controls/250g/

With the appropriate input voltage etc

I'm not pushing Dart controls, but I am using one

Rover

A6D9

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
ok so i was close.  safe to say that unit would wprk if it was capable of handling more amps right?

anyone know what these things go for?  approx?  am i looking at 100's of $$ or possibly 10's of $$?

thanx again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
What about a Variac with a bridge rectifier (and maybe a capacitor) on the output to convert it all back to DC ?

joestue

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
A new Gekko brushed servo drive will run you 120$ but you also need a 36 or 48 volt power supply (since you only need 500 rpm 48v should be more than enough) and an encoder, you'll also need a pulse generator to generate the signals needed to control the motor.

Or you can buy an older used servo controller off ebay (i found some for $35 +shipping) but the 70$ you save on the servo controller means you're not going to get any support from the company and the datasheets may not be available. I am not aware of any dc servo drives that cost less than $120.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

A6D9

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
Ok so i think i have learned allot lately.

woudl this work you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Controller-Driver-DC12-60V-30A-1500W-/320748997125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae214a05

i know the voltage is a bit lower then what i wanted...but it should still work i think.

i figurerd if 90 volts was givign me 3000 RPM and i really only needed max 500...i coudl get a controler that could go to 60 Volts and still be ok.  also the amps are up there.

my only concern is that my only power suply that i cna think of is eather a car charger or maybe a computer power supply.

will this controller be able to take say 12 volts and convert it into 50 volts?

A6D9

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
ok update..i really foudn what i need this time...lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200648913937?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and i know it will work for ym application as it was made for it..lol

thanx for all the help and advice guys..now my wood will be able to motor it;s way to my pile without me havig to move it..lol

thanx again and i learned so much