Author Topic: Yaw bearing / slewing bearing  (Read 4094 times)

CloDawg

Yaw bearing / slewing bearing
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »
I'm building a yaw control system for one of the universitys VAWT turbines.

I need to design a slewing bearing which can reliably support radial, axial and tilting moments. I have absolutely no idea how to do this or even where to start.

Could you please give me some advice as to go about solving this problem

XXLRay

Re: Yaw bearing / slewing bearing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »
Waht is your background? Have you experience in mechanical engineering? Do you just do the CAD (e.g. for a CNC) or do you really have to build the bearing by yourself? Is there any data about size and environment conditions of the wind turbine?

artv

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »
Hi CloDawg,....I'm not sure your using the proper terminology,.....vwats' don't need a yaw bearing...the yaw bearing is to allow the hawt to rotate to track the wind.....I don't know the term.."slewing bearing".....Vwats just take the wind from any direction.....artv

STYME JONES

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:43:58 AM »
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&rlz=1D3GGLD_enCA412CA414&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1120&bih=546&q=slew+bearing&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&oq=slew+bearing&aq=f&aqi=&aql         slew bearings are used on rotating cranes and rotating commercial rotating signs etc. if you really need to use one, start scrounging around to find a used one. they would be very hard to make. and very expensive new.   are you sure you don't mean a large thrust bearing????  ???

CloDawg

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
No its a slewing bearing, they are mostly used in large turbines. I only need to design the thing. Im a beng mechatronics student so i have a background in mechanical design.

I apologize i did mean a hawt turbine.

Here's an example:
http://www.windpowerengineering.com/design/mechanical/bearings/large-slewing-rings-for-wind-turbines/

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »
You don't seriously think we should design it for you?  That's implied in your original question.

All I'm going to suggest is for you to look at a trailer axle, imagine it turned to point straight up.
As a student your job is to learn this stuff for yourself!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:42 PM »
You don't seriously think we should design it for you?  That's implied in your original question.

All I'm going to suggest is for you to look at a trailer axle, imagine it turned to point straight up.
As a student your job is to learn this stuff for yourself!

Amen. Seeking clarification or help over the humps is another story for sure.

Tom

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
Is it a commercially built machine? If so Why not just order the part? Or is it a project you are supposed to do yourself?
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Rover

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
Hi,
You will find, most of us build or own, or modify our own mills. You will also find that very many of us have no engineering background.. or hardly a clue as to what we are doing. A lot of us , rely on this board to ask the question.. "will this suffice?" . (because there are members on this board with the background and proven history).

Now on the subject of a college/university project, will that suffice under examination by a prof?... probably not ..Least I hope not as I wouldn't recommend the school's engineering dept if it did.

If you need to grasp a concept, through out a design, etc as Tom said... "Seeking clarification or help over the humps is another story for sure. " You will get responses.

However, if you just ask the "meaning of Life question"... eh... you get this kind of response

Look back... no figures, no facts, no research, no design ideas... basically you just threw the whole issue out for a fix.....

think about it

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

XXLRay

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:16 AM »
I am still not clear what you are exactly supposed to do. Shall you only create a (fancy looking) look for the bearing or do you even have to chose the material?

Still you have not answered the questions about the environment conditions. Which weight does the bearing have to carry? Which forces woll effect it?

Furthermore I do not understand why you don't buy a bearing. Is this project your master thesis or something like that?

ruairihev

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »
To get you started you need to know alot about the turbine and the forces involved (you have mentioned nothing useful really). Calculate the downward force due to the weight of the turbine, calculate the tilting moment due to the force applied to the rotor by the wind. Allow a margin of safety. When you have these numbers have a look for datasheets of existing slew bearings and compare your numbers to the datasheet numbers. Now you have a starting point. If you have to design the drive system aswell then have a look at slew drives. That should give you an idea of where to start.

tanner0441

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
Hi

You don't mention the size of the turbine. I have a small turbine on a bearing, it can be a pain in the backside, it pirouettes like a ballerina in quite light winds.  The tube in tube bearings used on here are a much better option with a bit of friction to prevent the wild swinging.

I think you need to put a lot more information on here and how much of it you are going to build yourself.  Then you will be offered guidance to iron out the wrinkles, and encouragement over the humps by people who have already been there, but no one is going to do it for you. Especially as your project  sounds like a commercial venture.

Brian.

CloDawg

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
I'm sorry for seemingly upsetting some of you...

Yes i am to design/select the bearing myself, and that is why i never posted any specs. I was looking for advice as to going about doing this. Before this project i had never worked on/with a wind turbine and i figured maybe there was some text or standard process about going about solving this problem. Nothing more.

sorry

Rover

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 04:44:35 PM »
I'm not upset just too little info. Unfortunately there is no "standard" for the yaw, it all depends on the turbine itself and the tower to some extent (but minor). There is no standard turbine.

A little more info on the University turbine, maybe even a pic, and more help should be forth coming.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

XXLRay

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 02:54:55 AM »
Did the explanation of ruairihev help you? I think he covered the most important things. You should really fetch the numbers from your turbine engineers.