Author Topic: Is there a cheap way to data log?  (Read 3152 times)

TheEquineFencer

Is there a cheap way to data log?
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:04:23 AM »
Is there a cheap way to data log hz, voltage and amperage? Does anyone make a Fluke like meter that will do this and be able to download the data? Is there a cheap way to build something that can be run off a laptop that will do the samething? If so, could someone lead me in the right direction? I'd love to be able to use it to when I load test a generator end and reccord the data in a way that would show the Hz the generator is running and at the sametime record the voltage and amp load.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Is there a cheap way to data log?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:28 AM »
Ummm...  Cheap, Fast, or Good.

Pick any two.

I went with building my own PICLOG logger.  It satisfied the cheap and good criteria.  The way I go about soldering stuff together, it took a long long time.  It's a bit delicate to hook up.

I don't know if you've already mentioned if you're comfortable with a solder iron or programming microchips before.  If you are, then a PIC based datalogger could be the thing for you.  A Google search on "pic datalogger backshed" will turn up the how-to guide you need.  After that, the complexity is up to you.

You could buy a HOBO, it's a datalogger and has a lot of features and you can e-bay or buy direct right now.  Not as cheap as the PICLOG.  There area alternatives that can data-log, less cheap than the HOBO may be hard to find.

There are lots of other ways...  If you already have the Fluke and a couple of other multimeters, then you have already invested enough money and you can data-log with a pencil and paper!  Some people find it enough to just stand all the meters on the same table, run the test, and take a few pictures of the displays together.  It doesn't make you famous on the blogosphere...   but it works fine for quick tests.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DenisGCroombs

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:20:42 AM »
I use a PIC but if you do not want to do any programming then try using the 1wire system & http://mango.serotoninsoftware.com/home.jsp which is free (open source) software the sensors are available from less than $3 I use it for my solar hot water system on a old laptop.
Some of my results are available on my http://www.deniscroombs.org/pages/solar-results.php which has not been updated for months but the graphs are real data and the system emails me the results every hour, but the system is very flexible and you do not have to take it as far as I have.
If you need more details PM me.

Good luck

rossw

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:35:46 AM »
Also, is that ad-hoc measurement, or a permanent and ongoing requirement?

I purchased not long ago, a Uni-T UT71E multimeter. You might find the D would suit you better - it has more datalogging memory, but doesn't have the power measuring capacity of the E.

For a multimeter with 40,000 counts (yes, forty-thousand, not a typo), it was amazingly inexpensive - I think it cost me about $155 delivered (I did a lot of research first). It comes with software and an optical interface for your computer to read it in real time, and to dump its logged data.

If you want a permanent logger, there are many to choose from, with huge ranges in specifications and prices. More info from you might elicit more detailed responses :)

letERblow

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
If you are into a little soldering and possibly programming "SparkFun Electronics" has this and some other micro loggers reasonably priced. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10216

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:33:31 PM »
Heres what I want to be able to do. I have a 10KW load bank for load testing small generators, I want to be able to log the voltage, Hz and Amp load I have on the system. I can probably deal with soldering, if I screw up, I'll do like I ussualy do, order extra parts before I start. Programming... well I can deal with basic PLCs like the AB SLC-500 PLC. I've never done ay of the C+ language but I have heard of it. I'm game to learn if I have a coach. With me a little knowledge goes a long way and can be dangerous. I have no idea how to do HMI with a SLC500 PLC, I know just enough to be seriuosly dangerous. I guess what I'm looking is either a cheap, inespesive way to do what I want. I'll look at the link you guys sent and see what looks like something I may be able to work out, but I'm still open to suggestions.

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
I just looked ove r the sites you guys told me about, they look neat but a little over my head for right now. I'm going to try to find the meters the other guy was taking about and see what they'll do. They sound more like something that is more of a plug and play device.

rossw

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
I'm going to try to find the meters the other guy was taking about and see what they'll do. They sound more like something that is more of a plug and play device.

The one I got: http://www.uni-trend.com/UT71e.html
The one with 9999 datapoints: http://www.uni-trend.com/UT71d.html

TheEquineFencer

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »
I was looking at it but could not figure out if it could do all three functions at one time. I looked through the manual for it and that showed it using only a 10A max input allowed. I don't think there's a dealer here in the USA that i could find. I get nervouis ordering from overseas.

WindriderNM

• some days you get the bear some days the gets you
    • WindriderNM
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »
There are several programs that use the sound card in a PC as a o scope, spec. analizer, ect. many are free.  To measure amps you would need to convert it to volts. maybe using a shunt or hallefect or op-amp 
~~~WindriderNM (Electron Recycler)~~~   
~~~Keep Those Electrons Flowing~~~

alijan

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:22 AM »
You can search on google "data log hz" then you can found many and if you did not get the desired one then you can add software at the end.

As a new user, please do not put links on your replies that are redirected to other commercial places.

Thanks
Bruce S
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:38:23 AM by Bruce S »