Author Topic: Anemometer with PC Data Logger  (Read 2935 times)

edy252

Anemometer with PC Data Logger
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last visited the site.

I'm planning to either buy a wind turbine or build up my own. But before that I need to know the windspeeds near my home and be able to log them to see if buying (or building) a wind turbine is worth it. The question is : has anyone of you used or recommend an anemometer with a PC data logger so that I can have a log of my windspeeds?

Thanks in advance.
Edy

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: Anemometer with PC Data Logger
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »

Seekscore

• Colorado Professional Repair
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
I've got an APRS World logger and think it's pretty good. Lots of room for future upgrades as needed.

Mike

ruddycrazy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:08 AM »
G'day Edy,
               As you probably know the wind speed at ground and where one intends to place a wind genny are 2 different readings. One can make up an anemometer pretty easily by using 4 cups and a small magnet with a hall effect sensor. Then put the anemometer up where you intend to put your genny or close to the height. Then just use a pic micro to count the pulses and transfer it via RS232 or wifi 433mhz to a puter.

Although this forum isn't really electronic technical based myself and other member can help with the micro part and I reckon this would be the cheapest way for you to do it. Just sing out if you want to go this direction and away we go.

Cheers Bryan

B529

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
Will you be able to put up the anemometer at the proposed turbine height?

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
The cheapest way to see if a turbine is practical is to put up an Air-X or Air-403.  Then log power from it with a Doc Wattson.  Whatever you get out of it, multiply it times at least 50 for a real turbine.
--
Chris

edy252

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:49:48 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.

ruddycrazy : that's a good idea and i understand the concept very well but i simply dont know how to do it  ;).

B529 : Yes i will be able to raise the anemometer to almost the same heigtht; around 10m (32 feet) above my building.

ChrisOlson : That's a good idea too but I live in Lebanon and shipping an Air-X here would cost me a fortune....with the same amount of money I can buy a real wind turbine and hope for the best.

Edy