Author Topic: The DunioMite  (Read 2363 times)

ruddycrazy

The DunioMite
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:21 AM »
Controls was the only I could find to fit this subject in so go easy on me pls Mod's........

The duniomite is a pic32 micro used as a standalone computer designed to make life easy for guys to interface real life things for data logging etc.  http://www.geoffg.net/maximite.html is the brains behind all this and credit must be given to the guy. Back earlier this year Geoff introduced thru the Siliconchip mag and over here it has taken off.

A few months ago  Don took it onboard to make a new board that can use the Arduino so the Duinomite was born. Basically this is a pic32 micro setup as a stand alone comuter with plenty of in/outs for interfacing with the world. I will have to give a plug to Don who is at http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html for providing these new boards at aheap less cost than the originals.

So just what is this board
The board

Now for Retro BSD

The ol' TRS-80 mode

and even Z-80 mode

As this board has only come on the market in the last few days I did think to give you guy's an insite how this can be a great RE controller if on can workout how to use Basic.... which probably everyone has forgotten.

Now if you guy's do want to take it on I may be able to workout a with one of you guy's to import them. Don does want the little guy involved so if someone ( a senior member) wants to jump up I'm sure something can be sorted.

I do know Mouser is going to stock these boards too but they have a 5 weeks lead time and a greater price so if some one in the US wants to frontup I'll see what I can do as these boards make feel like a puppy in mornin as mine didn't arrive today....

Regards Bryan

Steve Trumann

Re: The DunioMite
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
That is a nice looking board. It brings back memories of the old TIMEX Z80 days. It's nice to see all the goodies on one little board now. 32 byte opens up a whole lot of possibilities  of I/O things to do with it.
Steve Trumann

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: The DuinoMite
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
Now there's a bold statement if I ever saw one:  "CPU speed is unlimited".     :)

I personally find this amazing.  It's like computers are coming round a circle, and while some are splitting on one tangent (touch-screen iPhones), others are coming on the totally opposite direction: Commodore 64 (heck we're already at C128k with this baby) for the hobby builder.  Who the hell could have predicted this in, say, the 1990's when the techies proclaimed these obsolete computers dead, and best forgotten?

I'm going to dig up my 5-1/4" floppies of Dungeons of Kroz, now.

What's the difference between the green board and the red one?  The green one (I guess) looks more like Geoff's Maximite.  The red one doesn't have the VGA cable connector on it - but I assume there's a simple option?

For maximum Google searchability, the title should be "DuinoMite".
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ruddycrazy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
G'day Guy's,
                 Well yesterday it arrived and I had a bit of play up in my shed with a VGA and keyboard attached, after a few niggling problems I had it working nicely. Last night I brought it down to the house and just set it up with a USB cable and was using it firstly via MMIDE ( a program a guy has made just for it) I did find a few bugs in the MMIDE so I went and downloaded Tera Term and it worked great. It did bring a blast from the past playing a game of Hamurabi in a serial terminal and I've now made a template in Sprint Layout for making a breakout shield for the Arduino footprint on the board.

All great fun for now and soon to get some real work done with it.......

Cheers Bryan

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Oh yeah I never really got my head around....
10 print "hello world" and it was already obsolete  ???
LOL .
Norm