Author Topic: Active Pitchcontrol  (Read 331824 times)

midwoud1

• There are more chiefs than indians
Re: Active Pitchcontrol
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »
Two blade passive pitch .  Generator 12 volt  800 watt

mbouwer

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »

Windmill friends
Pitch control has many advantages also for small turbines.
Lets exchange ideas to improve designs for DIY

bob golding

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
very goos design, but there are a lot of parts to keep working smoothly. where i am i get a lo of salt spray. next the the sea more or less. i cant help thinking there is a  more robust way to do this using pneumatics.  what i am thinking is something like the system used for manipulating models used in special effects. basicly a rolled up tube like a borden gauge made of silicon rubber. pneumatics are used in hostile environments like food processing where they get steam cleaned every day, so are by design rugged to start with. cant think of the how right now but just another thing to throw in the mix.
if i cant fix it i can fix it so it cant be fixed.

midwoud1

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
I live also close to the sea , the electric actuator is no problem . The spider system is protected by a spinner ( nose cone) The thruster bearing between actuator and push-rod is OK .A critical point can be the outer nylon bushings of the blade-root-shafts . If it is I make seals on it. Pneumatics is an idea ,but on the other hand , a 12 volt actuator is easy to control with a simple electronic circuit and a relay. I work 10 years with an actuator moving tail without trouble. The blade pitch is doing very good for 4 months now.
Rgds . F.

sunbelt57

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
... Add to the mix, corrosion, icing, wear, lubrication/dirt, component failure...
Here in Wyoming where there's a lot of wind (dust) and brutal winter weather these factors are something to consider.

mbouwer

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
That's why we want to think about a design where components like blade suspensions are neatly closed in.
e.g. a polyester double layers sealed nosecone/rotorhead in which the blades are attached.                                                   
See professional turbines like Enercon, Darwind etc.

midwoud1

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
Spinner constuction.
I start to make a stack of plywood-discs 18mm in the tapered shape of a cone .
Put them together with an M8 threaded rod on a rotary-table . Primer coating. Fixed a template with the exact cone-form on the machine-bed. Polyester  putty on the cone and turn the rotary-table around . Finish with fine emery-paper.The result is a good positive model of the spinner.
2) Made a negative mould of 7 layers of 160gram fiber and polyester . On top of the cone a 6mm x 50mm tubing to take the mould off the model with water pressure . Inside the mould I made the real spinner with 7 layers 160 gr fiber . Primer 2 comp polyester paint .Final mat black.4434-1

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »
Midwoud,
That's a great system.  Years ago I had a similar project, but made it much more difficult for myself than that.

When using "water pressure" to separate the plug and mold, do you mean that you only had to fit a water hose to the hole at the bottom of the plug - presumably the hole that was for the long threaded rod in earlier stages to bond the stack of plywood?

What about the template bar in the upper photo - is it metal?  To make a metal part that matches the elliptical contour would require a CNC, but using more wood to make that template would require nothing but a coping saw.  So I'm curious about the way that template came to be.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

midwoud1

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Hi SparWeb
The piece of tubing is embedded on top of the negative mould . Separate by home-water pressure 3 bar. Before I already made a drawing of the elliptical line . Bring it over on a 2mm metal sheet with a cardboard template and cut it with a coping saw .The plywood discs were also made with the coping saw on the needed angle according to my drawing. The elliptical line on the drawing was made with a steel 1mm wire supported on the ends and at several points between. Draw with a pencil. And a needle on the template. No CNC needed.
On the wooden model there was no extra material to remove, because it had already its form.

Rgds . F.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »
What about the template bar in the upper photo - is it metal?  To make a metal part that matches the elliptical contour would require a CNC, but using more wood to make that template would require nothing but a coping saw.  So I'm curious about the way that template came to be.

You don't NEED CNC, all you need is a template from anything, cardboard, thin aluminum etc, and a band saw or a plasma cutter. Folks were building spinners LONG before CNC was even dreamed of.
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Great work,

I use a similar process for a solid nose cone which could be used for making a mold as well. I use many layers of solid foam insulation just the same as your plywood. This is glued and stacked the same way and mounted on a round disk of plywood as a base. A center bolt is mounted in this base plate and the whole assembly is then chucked and turned on a lathe or chucked in a drill press and turned to shape with a rasp. After that I finish it with typical cloth and fiberglass and finish sand back on the lathe or drill press. It's time consuming but to me it's well worth the effort with a machine that looks finished. Fot my template I just drew it in Auto Cad then tile printed it, taped it together on a piece of cardboard and cut it out, later I made a more permanent template from plexiglass.   Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
That is gonna be one of the best looking machines ever on this forum.
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »
Wow I must have the settings all wrong on my other computer screen.  Now I'm sitting at another computer and the picture CLEARLY shows a simple sheet of steel.  Thin enough I could snip it with hand shears.
Now I feel silly about the "metal bar" question.   :P  Looks even better now though!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

midwoud1

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 04:16:56 AM »
Making a plug ,we can use a pottery turntable with a template as well. Many people have one. But I wont bother them.
An other method is the way churchbell makers do. With a swinging around compass of plywood. I used this method to make
satellite dish-antennas with 2 meters diameter. The plug was made with a soft core (sand) and a cement skin.
The template parabolic line is math calculated.

Rgds : F .

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

The template parabolic line is math calculated.

Rgds : F .

I have seen a method to do this with a square, a string, pencil with a thumbtack. Simple, hillbilly tech!

Here is an example:

http://www.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/sites/genevieve_tulloue/conics/drawing/para_string.html

Just because I thought it was nifty.

Tom

midwoud1

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
Generator.
Rotor-discs  2x 12 magnets epoxy + glass-bubbles + polyester coating

Stator 24 volt  epoxy + glass-bubbles + coating

Lamp test 24volt cut-in 180 Rpm

Bearing Volvo rear wheel  544

midwoud1

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
There was a little problem , the push-pull bearing housing was sliding in the actuator bracket.
A security-screw was gone out 2 turns  , Its solved with lock-tite. Not a big event ,lost temporary full feathering.
Had to bring the mill down for general inspection .
All  OK.  Full batteries . To day storm 8 Bf . As soon as it slacks off , fly again.

F.4504-04505-1

midwoud1

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOAdzbS16Jc

Happy Newyear     Frans en Teresa

bj

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
   Happy New Year to you as well Frans.  May 2012 be a year of much happiness.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

mbouwer

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2012, 03:52:07 PM »
To Frans and all windenergy-enthousiastics:
Happy New Year
Let's keep trying to improve our wind energy generating systems
Regards Rinus

whythehecknot

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »
Certainly have upped the anny with DYI wind power. Im completely inspired now and am already planning another project with yours in mind. Fantastic build!!!

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Upped the ante.

midwoud1

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
Improvement rotorhead with sealed angular contactbearings
Before it was carried out with POM bushings , worked good for 6 months but at the end there was corrosion on the shafts.
Its free of slob ,ridgid and it is very light running.
As soon as the weatherconditions are better it will be tested. Snow ,- 5 C

Frans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQiqi5jzVs&feature=plcp&context=C3936b8bUDOEgsToPDskLnYBe2bic7bVfqgq-CzQYT

jarrod9155

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
Very nice  ;)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2012, 07:23:34 AM »
A true work of art.

midwoud1

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »
Rotorhead test .

Pitchcontrol with sealed bearings . Light running and reliable in low temp. - 5 deg. C . Wind 6 m/sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jaz3soqXLo&feature=youtu.be

- Frans -

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
I thought this was cool, so Im going to use the recent youtube feature, if anyone has a questions on how to do this in there posts with projects they have on youtube, let me know.

JW

midwoud1

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
 Hi  JW ,  Thank you for the insert

kitestrings

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Frans,

Really nice work.  Thanks for the on-going progress updates.  Inspirational.

Just how do you get three more blades to poke out as it is spinng?  ;)  And to make them go backwards...

~kitestrings

midwoud1

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Hi Kitestrings.
There is an actuator with a push-pull rod . That is connected with a spider ,moving the blade angle .
You can see it on previous images .

kitestrings

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
Frans,

I follow you.  I was joking actually.  In the video, which is fascinating to watch, there is the illusion of it having more blades as it gets to the 'strobe effect' speed, then they appear to reverse direction, like the wheels of stage coach in an old western movie.

~ks

midwoud1

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
It is cold here , snow ,ice, low temperature ,so the best place is working in the shop 18 deg C.

TimS

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »
Fabulous work.  Its cold here too.  I like shops.
Cheers!