Author Topic: Rack and panels install - finally  (Read 10217 times)

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
Re: Rack and panels install - finally
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 11:34:37 PM »
My point is that you have stated that PV isn't worth a damn. Without even determining the site they're going to be used on!

No, just that I know where DaveB lives and he's got somewhat the same conditions as I got here, except it doesn't normally get quite as cold where he lives.  I've heard a lot of people make the claim that PV is much better and more reliable than wind, and they're maintenance free.  For us here, that's not the case in winter.  They make a trickle of power, but the days are too short to depend on solar at all.  And, like last winter we didn't get a single day of sunshine from Jan 7 to February 18.

So I'm just remembering back to when I put in those first panels.  My initial reaction was like Dave's.  After the first winter with them it became obvious that we cannot depend on them to supply us with much power during the time of the year that we need it the most when our loads are the highest.

I'm not disappointed with them at all.  They supply us with good power in the summer when the days are longer and we get less wind.  But they have their limitations.  I'm just pointing out the realities of solar PV when you live in an area where things get buried under 6 feet of snow.  You can put a solar array on a 6 foot high stand here, and what will happen is that the array breaks the wind and forms a drift that will bury the array under snow that is as hard as cement.  Already been there, done that.  The only way to mount them there so you can keep them working in the winter time is to put them on the edge of a south facing roof so you can reach the array with a snow rake.

Thinking solar panels are maintenance free in a winter environment is flawed thinking.  Wind turbines are way less maintenance than solar PV.  You lower a turbine once a year to service it, and you do it at your convenience.  The rest of the year it "just works".  Solar arrays in the winter time require attention and cleaning every time it snows.  If you don't clean them off, your panels will get encased in ice that's tough as steel.  2" of snow on the panels is all it takes.  The panels warm up slightly from what little solar power makes it thru the snow on the panel and it melts some of the snow, but not enough to make it run or slide off.  Then the sun goes down and the temperature drops to 20 degrees below zero F.  Now you got rime ice on that panel, which adheres to the snow on top of it, and you can scrape on it with a auto windshield scraper and can't chip it off.  So the next day you're out there pouring hot water on your panels to melt the rime ice off and they pop and snap from the hot water hitting aluminum and glass that's at 20 below zero.  But it's either that or they're useless and don't work.

So that's all I'm saying.  Don't get too excited about how great solar panels are, and how maintenance free they are, until you go thru your first winter with them, when you live in an area where winter weather closes roads in entire counties for days.
--
Chris

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »
I'm laughing Chris because you know and I know what we both know, I think some figure it's an argument for or against and I just chuckle. Snow in the forecast for Thursday morning here. Thanks for the reminder photos of what Winter is all about after all it's been all of 5 months since we saw the last of the white stuff here, less than that out on the slopes. I love this energy stuff, solar hot water is next and man if I only had a way for hydro, hey that gives me an idea ! (keep that ferrite magnet thread going, it looks like you are getting some on board)   Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

rossw

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
No, just that I know where DaveB lives

I didn't see that in any of the earlier posts. Not saying it wasn't there, just that I didn't see it. And without that, or any other hints that he lives in the arctic tundra, I didn't realise we were talking about a "harsh environment installation"

I've heard a lot of people make the claim that PV is much better and more reliable than wind, and they're maintenance free.
For most of the world, that's true :)
For you fringe-dwellers, it might be different :)

For us here, that's not the case in winter.  They make a trickle of power, but the days are too short to depend on solar at all.  And, like last winter we didn't get a single day of sunshine from Jan 7 to February 18.
If you'd included that at the get-go, I'd have agreed with you entirely. Those qualifications put your site in a completely different scenario to most other PV installations I've ever seen.
I know some people who have PV arrays installed where they get enough snow to quite litterally LOSE VEHICLES when they wander off the side of their driveway. Burried in snowdrifts. Its ok, they come out again when the snow melts in a couple of months. BUT.... they get good to great PV output.

I'm not disappointed with them at all.  They supply us with good power in the summer when the days are longer and we get less wind.  But they have their limitations.  I'm just pointing out the realities of solar PV when you live in an area where things get buried under 6 feet of snow.  You can put a solar array on a 6 foot high stand here, and what will happen is that the array breaks the wind and forms a drift that will bury the array under snow that is as hard as cement.  Already been there, done that.  The only way to mount them there so you can keep them working in the winter time is to put them on the edge of a south facing roof so you can reach the array with a snow rake.

Again, nicely qualified as to why they're not suitable in your environment.

Thinking solar panels are maintenance free in a winter environment is flawed thinking.
Unqualified statement might apply in YOUR area, but totally, utterly wrong in *MOST* others, including mine.
My PV in winter doesn't produce enough for all my power needs... but my modest 3.5 kW worth supply more than half my winter power needs - and that includes two home offices and a whole pile of computer equipment. Some days this winter I didn't need to run the generator at all, most days it needed one or two short runs. Previous winters before I had all the PV I needed at least two runs of 3hrs each, sometimes a 3rd run early afternoon. My outlay on PV has virtually paid for itself in saved propane bills over the last 18 months. But then, I'm only 36 degrees south.

Wind turbines are way less maintenance than solar PV.
Strongly disagree around here. But statements like those get found by people searching in google or whatever, and they "become fact". People don't read a whole thread to get the context. And if it's a statement in a post that doesn't have any sort of obvious qualification, it'll get taken and quoted (or mis-quoted) out of context.

Remember all the dramas some guys are having with ordinances and laws about putting up wind turbines? All the "proof" about noise and dangers of things flying apart and killing birds and making people go mad etc? You and I know most of that is utter crap. There might have been ONE CASE of a turbine killing some rare bird... and that ONE CASE gets used as "proof" that all turbines kill birds indiscriminately. In the lack of evidence to the contrary, by idiots in power, it becomes "fact", and before you can say "WTF?" there's a law.

Solar arrays in the winter time require attention and cleaning every time it snows.
Again - completely nonsense in MOST places.
If you'd said "Solar arrays in the winter time *around here* require attention and cleaning every time it snows." it's clear you're not talking about all installations everywhere.
(emphasis added for clarity)

So that's all I'm saying.  Don't get too excited about how great solar panels are, and how maintenance free they are, until you go thru your first winter with them, when you live in an area where winter weather closes roads in entire counties for days.
Qualified and agreed. Where I live, wind is cheap per watt of capacity - but kWh/month is quite low. Solar ranges from quite cheap (if you source your own panels, mountings etc and don't pay some ripoff merchant to do it for you) to stupid expensive... but is far more productive (per $ invested) than wind.

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:05 AM »
Very nice, Dave.

I'm longing for the day I can do 1kWp... Seems like the economy doesnt really want to cooperate with me for the time being to do so...

Best of luck with it.

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:45 AM »
And without that, or any other hints that he lives in the arctic tundra, I didn't realise we were talking about a "harsh environment installation"

The arctic tundra would be nice, actually.  At least there you can safely walk on the snow.  Where we live most of the stuff gets nut high to a giraffe, except for the drifts that can cover up entire buildings if they're in the right place to break the wind - those are like concrete.  When snow comes down here, it doesn't fall vertically.  It falls horizontally, and if you're out on your deer stand or something you'd swear it's more like a sand blaster than "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas".

At any rate, Ross just coined a new acronym for solar - HEI (Harsh Environment Installation)    ;D

--
Chris

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »
Must live on the prairie for the horizontal winds  :D I had 6 foot drifts last winter, they would get taller but there wasn't anything in the way to pile the snow any higher!

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
We live on the flats south of Lake Superior, on the southern edge of the 7.5 million acre Wisconsin North Woods.  The glacier that carved this area out created a lot of hilly, rocky terrain south of here and left soil for rich farm and woodlands where we live.  The wind howls thru here from the Northwest in the winter time, and when it comes from the north off Lake Superior we can get some real interesting weather.

DaveB lives in New York and he's got somewhat the same thing there - he gets lake effect snow but he doesn't get the cold temperatures that we get.  We got a few snowflakes this morning and it's only October for crying out loud.
--
Chris

Dave B

• DCB Energy Systems
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
16.5 amps @ 55 vdc in the bulk charge mode. 77% up to 87% soc already today. It's magic. I never figured boring could be so exciting at the same time.  Dave B.
DCB Energy Systems
http://dcbenergy.com/

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
It's magic.

Yes, it is.

And the best part is, all the racket these things make in operation!

Aint it great?  ;) ;D

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !