Author Topic: Grid Tie Inverter ( plug n play)  (Read 1061 times)

xboxman

Grid Tie Inverter ( plug n play)
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »
Hi
 any one know any thing about em ??  are any of the brands UL listed ??

http://www.amazon.com/Ensupra-Inverter-Generator-25VDC-46VDC-Warranty/dp/B004SCX4IQ

thanks

Rover

Re: Grid Tie Inverter ( plug n play)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »
That type of Grid tie inverter is Illegal in the US and many other countries. Not UL listed.

In addition Insurance Co will probably not pay for any damage to your dwelling if caused an eletrical short if they see one of these.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

kurt

• website
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
there are inverters that plug into the wall that are legal for use in some European countries that have diferent electrical codes than the USA. but they are all 50hz as far as i know. and those cheap Chinese ones do not meet there code either, But code in the united states  requires that all grid tie inverters be hard wired to the electric panel and UL listed as well as needing approval and inspection by the electric company before being activated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:05:43 PM by kurt »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
The company that sells the model you linked to is in Texas. I don't see how they haven't been shut down yet. Like Kurt and Rover said, that device is illegal in the US.

I reported her to IURPA. The sellers name is Vineeta. She lists the same item on Facebook and eBay.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:54:37 PM by dnix71 »

xboxman

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
thanks for the info ...
i didnt think they were UL listed ... any ways it seems like it would be just as easy to run your ....lets say your washer on solar but off grid  .. for people starting out with solar .. and be a lot safer
oh sorry about posting this in the wrong place

Rover

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
You can still do that, with the properly sized battery bank and a quality inverter (not the guerrilla grid tie version in that link)

Cost a little more... and won't save you any money really , but you can do it :)

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:13 PM »
I emailed and phoned Amazon today about the listing. They said it was a third party listing and shipped from overseas.

All modern electric meters only run forward now. You can't run a common meter backwards. So even if this thing backfeeds the grid you will be paying the electric company to do it.

All modern one-way meters also treat attempts to run backwards as tampering and set a flag. So if you used this and it actually worked, the power company would think you were trying to steal from them and you would get a knock on the door.   :'(  :-[  >:(

It isn't safe to operate this device anyway. It uses a common detachable power cord of the type used on computers. They are not all the same inside. If you pulled a cord from a monitor and tried to feed 550w backwards through it, it might melt and burn down the house. The frequency range this works on is also unsafe. 47 to 60+ Hz is not really okay anywhere. If it misreads the grid frequency and puts power back in at 58Hz there will be interference in your home wiring and maybe your neighbors, too. It should only operate on 50 or 60 and nothing else.

If it's powered up and fails to anti-island when the grid-tie fails, the pins on the back and the cord prongs would be live wires.  :o :o :o

And lastly if you have a windmill feeding this, what happens if someone trips over the cord or a breaker blows? Your mill will suddenly go unloaded. That would cause a voltage spike and if the mill didn't furl properly it would overspeed. The setup with a mill is not a simple plug and play like the ad says. Solar panels connected to a charge controller have to be tied to a battery bank, too, or the voltage spike from the panels can fry the controller if it suddenly drops off line.

Jerry

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
This is the story I was looking for. This info shouild address the isue we have with windpoweroregon.com using this inverter in there wind power PKG.

Jerry